ATTN: Moogs

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I guess you will be happy to hear this

For the first time in two years I start to 'recommend' GoLive

After two days of heavy testing with GoLive 6 I have to say when it's combined with BBEdit 6.5 you will have a kick ass web design (NOT authoring) combo.

GoLive 6 now makes much cleaner codes than version 5 and 4. Of course sometime you still need to do some manual cleanup....that's what BBEdit is for

[ 03-14-2002: Message edited by: Leonis ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    fobiefobie Posts: 216member
    BBEdit is God.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
  • Reply 3 of 21
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    I will keep bumping this thread until I see response from Moog :cool:
  • Reply 4 of 21
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Hey Leonis.

Thanks for the official GoLive Plug - I can now rest easy! I've actually been dinking around with Illustrator 10 quite a bit, making some graphical preperations for my upcoming site...you know, because Photoshop 7 is only now coming out of the vaporware haze. Anyway, AI 10 can be sluggish on a 500 MHz G4. Hoping 10.2 will speed up some of these Adobe apps a little.

Now that we have clean code in GoLive, how would you assess overal performance and responsiveness?

• Reply 5 of 21
    As for Illustrator 10. Grab the 10.01 updater from Adobe's web site. This speeds things (like zoom, drag) up quite a bit

The Canadian SRP for Photoshop 7 just showed up today......

As for speed in GoLive....it's about the same as version 5 under 9.......I did quit once in front of me....
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Don't know if you caught my comments in the "experiement" thread, but seems GL is quite a bit slower to launch than even Illustrator 10.0.1. Like 5+ seconds slower. I tried disabling some of the modules that I have no use for (WebDAV, Extend Script, etc.) but that wasn't of much use. Know any other tricks (besides a 6.01 patch) to boost things a bit?

:eek:

BTW - what's a SRP? Standard Retail Price or something? Forgive me, I don't know anything about Canada other than general geography and hockey!
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Is SRP like MSRP? Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price?
  • Reply 8 of 21
    Yeap. I and many resellers in vancouver like to call it SRP (suggested retail price) instead.

[ 03-16-2002: Message edited by: Leonis ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 21
    joecooljoecool Posts: 97member
    [quote]Originally posted by Leonis:

<strong>Yeap. I and many resellers in vancouver like to call it SRP (suggested retail price) instead.

[ 03-16-2002: Message edited by: Leonis ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sorry to show my ignorance, but you're a Mac reseller??
  • Reply 10 of 21
    [quote]Originally posted by Joecool:

<strong>

Sorry to show my ignorance, but you're a Mac reseller??</strong><hr></blockquote>

I wish. But I am able to contact some resellers or even wholesellers
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Actually now I am testing both Dreamweaver MX and GoLive 6

Both are quite good. GoLive now makes much cleaner codes than its predeccessors....

On action script stuff both DW and GL still make crappy codes.....but who cares

I am trying both because I want to see which app I should spend my money on......

[ 03-18-2002: Message edited by: Leonis ]</p>
  • Reply 12 of 21
    As long as both products can do the same kinds of things and keep improving on previous variants, I think it will always be a kind of 50/50 battle with each side saying the other isn't worth switching to. But in general based on some threads I've read elsewhere it seems GoLive 6 is a big improvement over 5 on most platforms, and notjust an incremental one. Remains to be seen about DWMX.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    jra55jra55 Posts: 16member
    I just picked up the academic version, and so far I am fairly impressed. I was hesitant to try it given the poor quality of earlier iterations, but after reading the responses I decided to give it a go. I've only run it on a 600mhz/256 megs iMac (with OS X only) and outside of the slow start-up time, it is been responsive. The code seems decent as well. The FTP client looks poor, however.

I could not wait for Dreamweaver any longer, and unless it's substantially better than Go Live (and the academic price is right) I'll be using Go Live for the forseeable future. I'll check it out in OS 9 and post my impressions.

-Jennings
  • Reply 14 of 21
    what's OS 9????
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Question: Does GoLive 6 produce Standards-Compliant code, or just better than before?

I ask because I can't stand web pages that have non-standards code. It just drives me nuts. And that's why I use BBEdit 6 (Lite!) for my HTML editing needs.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    [quote]Originally posted by graphiteman:

<strong>Question: Does GoLive 6 produce Standards-Compliant code, or just better than before?

I ask because I can't stand web pages that have non-standards code. It just drives me nuts. And that's why I use BBEdit 6 (Lite!) for my HTML editing needs.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Neither GoLive nor Dreamweaver makes standard-compliant codes when come in Javascript and action script

But for pure HTML stuff like table, bg, font, style sheet, etc.....the code both DW and GL (only version 6) create are very clean and 'standard'

[ 03-24-2002: Message edited by: Leonis ]</p>
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Hm....starting to find out some very nasty bugs and problems with GoLive......
  • Reply 18 of 21
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Bah. BBEdit is all you need. What's this GUI crap.

Seriously though, I should get that t-shirt.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Leonis:

Report them to the GoLive User Forum at Adobe.com

There are a number of known issues and there is likely going ot be a dot release this time, so get the bug reports in as soon as you can. If you can show they are reproduceable, they'll patch it most likely.