Rumor: Apple working on glasses-less 3D display for future iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2014
Apple is said to be exploring the incorporation of three-dimensional display technology that does not require special eyewear in its next-generation iPhone, according to a questionable report from Taiwan Wednesday, claiming the company is partnering with longtime supplier TPK to develop the feature.

3D Objects
Source: USPTO

The rumor comes amid a report that TPK is in the process of raising ?18.6 billion ($3 billion) in new capital to prepare for Apple's upcoming orders. It was first noted by Taiwanese daily UDN.

Apple is "actively" building an ecosystem of 3D hardware and software, according to the publication. The current in-touch cell technology used in the iPhone 6 series screens is said to be unsuitable for use with 3D displays, necessitating the development of new touch sensor designs.

Apple has been seen exploring 3D technology in the past, patenting both proximity-based control schemes as well as more advanced holographic techniques. The company also bought Israeli chipmaker PrimeSense -- responsible for the 3D sensors in Microsoft's first-generation Kinect --?for $345 million late last year.

TPK has long provided Apple with touch modules, and is believed to be the top supplier of such parts for the iPhone and iPad. Special silver nanowire mesh modules from the Taiwanese firm are rumored to be included in the Apple Watch, though that remains unconfirmed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38

Yet another reason Apple should buy Nintendo.

• Reply 2 of 38
    man.....they know what they doing....keep going.. :D
  • Reply 3 of 38
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    May Apple have better luck then when HTC did this with the HTC EVO 3D.
  • Reply 4 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Agree.  Nintendo's market cap is $15B

Apple could sell $15B in Mario/Zelda games in 3 years

Agreed. Nintendo would be an amazing buy for Apple.

Imagine pushing out a new Apple TV with some gaming functionality, and having all of the Nintendo classics reworked into apps, only available on the App store? 

+ using the tech from PrimeSense + Nintento's existing tech, Apple could push some really interesting stuff into the gaming market.

• Reply 5 of 38
    One year later, TPK files for bankruptcy protection...just kidding!
  • Reply 6 of 38
    Kinda a dumb move if true, I don't need my icons bulging out to me when looking at my iPhone.
  • Reply 7 of 38
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    tonypie wrote: »
    Kinda a dumb move if true, I don't need my icons bulging out to me when looking at my iPhone.

LMAO
    Mein Gott. Don't need no stink'n bulging icons

Mit der Dummheit selbst die Götter ratlos sind
  • Reply 8 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That would be a great purchase for Apple. With the surge in popularity of mobile gaming, imagine if Apple owned the game catalog of Nintendo. Apple could finally port over popular Nintendo titles to iOS. I don't get why Nintendo isn't doing that now. They are passing on so much money.  

• Reply 9 of 38
    How will you know your phone isn't just happy to see you?
  • Reply 10 of 38
    If it is true that would be really exciting. 3D done right and that "just works".
    In the meantime I am shopping for 3d goggles compatible with iPhone 6 plus. Appreciate if someone could recommend something that does not suck.
  • Reply 11 of 38
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

May Apple have better luck then when HTC did this with the HTC EVO 3D.

A colleague of mine had one of those; While the display was nice, it made my eyes cross. Not good. Reminds of the optigrab from The Jerk. 

• Reply 12 of 38
    The whole 3-D trend is dead, dead, dead.
  • Reply 13 of 38

Oh GAWD no!

• Reply 14 of 38
    Do they mean 3d touch or 3d display? Supposedly Microsoft had the 3d touch hardware all ready for a new lumia phone but couldn't come up with a compelling reason for its actual use that allowed for the extra money.
  • Reply 15 of 38
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    kkerst wrote: »
    A colleague of mine had one of those; While the display was nice, it made my eyes cross. Not good. Reminds of the optigrab from The Jerk. 

Your eyes cross when you focus on anything up close. The background goes out of focus. This is normal, and the way vision works. Do some experiments with a pencil held vertically about six inches from your eyes. If you have issues with this, get your binocular vision checked.
  • Reply 16 of 38
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

LOL  Amazon already beat them to it!

• Reply 17 of 38
    The whole 3-D trend is dead, dead, dead.

Just keep repeating that to yourself. See you next revolution.

There were those who thought (hoped) stereo sound was dead, dead, dead. Fewer, though, because vision is higher density information-wise, and has been artificially abused by 2-D media for much longer, like 4000 years or so. 2-D people are unconsciously panicked by 3-D.
  • Reply 18 of 38
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Nintendo is actually developing a New 3DS with expanded 3D viewing angle fixing the Achilles' heel of their 3D screens.

I wouldn't mind Apple purchasing Nintendo BUT their a stubborn 100+ year old company that won't sell easily and I believe the Japanese government won't allow a foreigner to buy their jewel. There was talk of Microsoft attempting to but Nintendo as well.

Funny that Apple bought Primesense. Wow what a journey. Primesense was a company that created Kinect for the Wii, which was refused by Nintendo, bought by Microsoft and then the company bought by Apple.
    And If Apple buys Nintendo then everything would have gone full circle and Nintendo would be working with the company they once rejected.
  • Reply 19 of 38
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Just keep repeating that to yourself. See you next revolution.

There were those who thought (hoped) stereo sound was dead, dead, dead. Fewer, though, because vision is higher density information-wise, and has been artificially abused by 2-D media for much longer, like 4000 years or so. 2-D people are unconsciously panicked by 3-D.

3D died in the 1950's. It died again in the 1980's. Now it's gasping for air.

• Reply 20 of 38
    jason98 wrote: »
    If it is true that would be really exciting. 3D done right and that "just works".
    In the meantime I am shopping for 3d goggles compatible with iPhone 6 plus. Appreciate if someone could recommend something that does not suck.

Haven't tried it yet, but the ColorCross viewer seems to have everything going for it, on paper, at least. Can't give you a link just now. Keep searching till you find a price near $30, I think. Yahoo group Photo 3-D is where this sort of thing is discussed.