New AppleCare for Enterprise website features IBM IT support, suggests imminent rollout

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2014
More than three months after Apple and IBM announced a partnership for business solutions, Apple has posted to its website a new AppleCare for Enterprise page touting onsite hardware repairs from IBM Global Technology Services, now a worldwide Apple Authorized Service Provider.

The AppleCare for Enterprise website offers a rundown of services, coverage and support business owners can expect when signing up for the program. While not an official announcement, the webpage suggests Apple's IBM partnership is in the first stages of rolling out to enterprise customers, as promised by Apple CEO Tim Cook during the company's most recent quarterly conference call.

According to Apple, the bedrock of AppleCare for Enterprise is the AppleCare Account Manager, who provides continuous support services like monthly repair reports, IT infrastructure review and troubleshooting. The Account Manager also liaises with AppleCare for quick resolutions.

As for IBM's involvement, the company is providing assistance with IBM MobileFirst for iOS apps, a suite of custom designed software tailored for the needs of individual markets. Apple CEO Tim Cook said during the company's quarterly conference call for the fourth fiscal quarter of 2014 that IBM will roll out solutions across banking, government, insurance, retail, travel and transportation, and telecommunications sectors. Previously, IBM noted it had development of more than 100 different native iOS apps for the program.

IBM will also facilitate onsite hardware repairs within one business day, while Apple handles next-day device replacements covering up to 10 percent of a company's total iPhones and iPads.

AppleCare for Enterprise appears to focus on expedient service, as Apple notes urgent calls will be answered within a one-hour time window, while a 24-hour technical help line is available to employees.

Apple and IBM announced the partnership in July as an extension of the "IBM MobileFirst for iOS" initiative.

Businesses interested in signing up for AppleCare for Enterprise are encouraged to ask either Apple or their IBM Account Executive for a quote.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    This has the potential to be huge. Not just for driving enterprise sales, but also for driving consumer sales. "Gee, honey, I've been using this iPad/iPhone from work and really like it, maybe we should get our own."
  • Reply 2 of 33
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Oh Apple!! Clawing at that remaining %3 enterprise share huh??

I LOVE IT!!
  • Reply 3 of 33
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator

Deeper into the goldmine of enterprise we go.  Down into the rank and file, down where the pyramid gets really wide.

• Reply 4 of 33
    This has the potential to be huge. Not just for driving enterprise sales, but also for driving consumer sales. "Gee, honey, I've been using this iPad/iPhone from work and really like it, maybe we should get our own."

Not only that but as they will be focusing on customer facing sectors including retail, banking, insurance & travel it will have an even wider "halo" effect.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    lolliver wrote: »
    Not only that but as they will be focusing on customer facing sectors including retail, banking, insurance & travel it will have an even wider "halo" effect.

Yep. And what the analysts missed is that, yes, the enterprise has deployed iPads in some capacity, but not in a widespread capacity. This will make them much more attractive. And I maintain that this is the biggest reason the Mini 3 exists, because TouchID is great for a corporate environment, and if your intended user doesn't need the size or power of an Air 2, why not save ~$100 per device and get them a Mini 3?
  • Reply 6 of 33
    cali wrote: »
    Oh Apple!! Clawing at that remaining %3 enterprise share huh??

I LOVE IT!!

Having iPads and iPhones in 97% of the Enterprise does not remotely mean you have 97% of the Enterprise. Apple is going to push OS X and iOS into the Enterprise, piggy-backing on Big Blue and Power8.
  • Reply 7 of 33

Excited to see how fast this is adopted and where it turns up. 

• Reply 8 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tookieman2013 View Post

Excited to see how fast this is adopted and where it turns up. 

During the last investor call Tim made it sound like they had some big players who were interested in and working on rolling iOS devices out as a result of the IBM deal.

• Reply 9 of 33
    I think it's time for another company name change....The World Bank of Apple sounds pretty good.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,105member

Apple Monetary Fund

• Reply 11 of 33
    Real businesses want the surface RT.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Real businesses want the surface RT.

I guess there's not many "real" businesses. :(
  • Reply 13 of 33
    Somebody should inform Microsoft (the only company ever to be named after its founder's penis) that the shoe is on the other foot now. Except this time, the dominant corporation actually makes stuff that works and that people want.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member

Swift + Beats + Apple Watch + A8X + IBM = Thermonuclear 

• Reply 15 of 33
  • Reply 16 of 33
    shsf wrote: »
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Swift + Beats + </span>
    Apple Watch <span style="line-height:1.4em;">+ A8X + IBM = Thermonuclear </span>

They're just getting started.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    I just hope IBM's new apps will get enough public exposure such that the average home consumer has an idea of what's available. The BYOD effect also emanated from the home user who preferred Apple hardware at home over what the IT people were trying to shove down employees' and managers' throats at work.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Having iPads and iPhones in 97% of the Enterprise does not remotely mean you have 97% of the Enterprise. Apple is going to push OS X and iOS into the Enterprise, piggy-backing on Big Blue and Power8.

I wonder how Power8 could be fitted into the OS X strategy?

Do you by any chance think OS X is still being secretly maintained to run on PowerPC-like hardware?

• Reply 19 of 33

I'm finding it pretty hard to comprehend how incredible AAPl are right now and we can only imagine the incredible roadmap ahead.

• Reply 20 of 33

Be interesting to see whether this leads to IBM selling desktop machines to the enterprise.  For many people a Mini would be perfectly adequate, although I could see situations where something between a Mini and a MacPro would be a better fit.