Apple launches Web tool to delist cell phone numbers from iMessages

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2015
Apple on Sunday launched a new website that will allow users to deregister their cell phone number from its iMessage service, fixing an issue that would result in messages sent from iOS devices being "hijacked" if the recipient stopped using an iPhone.

The new website entitled "Deregister iMessage" gives instructions on how to disable Apple's proprietary messaging service if the user still owns their iPhone. But in the event that they have switched to another platform and no longer have their iPhone, users can enter their cell phone number to have a confirmation code sent to verify their intent.

Users will receive a confirmation code at their cell phone number that they can then enter at Apple's website, which will delist their number from iMessage. Doing so will ensure that in the future, messages sent from iOS devices will default to standard SMS or MMS messages rather than iMessage.

An accompanying list of frequently asked questions notes that users need to deregister iMessage if they have a non-Apple phone and cannot receive SMS or text messages someone sends from an iPhone. This issue can happen if a user transferred their SIM card to another device, such as an Android, Windows or BlackBerry phone.

The problem dates back to 2011, when iMessage first debuted. Over the years, users leaving the iPhone for another platform discovered that people on iPhones attempting to send them a text message are still having the messages intercepted by Apple and sent as iMessages -- messages they cannot receive if they are on an Android phone, Windows Phone, or some other platform.

Apple said earlier this year that it planned to make it easier for people to delist their account from iMessage. While users could previously do so with their iPhone, the new tool allows users to deregister their cell phone number in the event that they no longer have access to an iPhone.

Unlike Google Hangouts or BlackBerry's BBM, which can be accessed on competing devices via third-party applications, Apple's iMessage service remains exclusive to Apple devices, much like its FaceTime video chat standard and copyright protected video content from iTunes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    Great! Now why did it take so long?
  • Reply 2 of 39
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    solipsismy wrote: »

Well.. It only took three years.. Right!
  • Reply 3 of 39
    nasserae wrote: »
    Well.. It only took three years.. Right!

LOL and I was only going from when the issue become public [tech forum] knowledge. I don't think any of the components are hard to setup. Seems like something a single backend guy and web guy at Apple could have put together in a weekend.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

LOL and I was only going from when the issue become public [tech forum] knowledge. I don't think any of the components are hard to setup. Seems like something a single backend guy and web guy at Apple could have put together in a weekend.

That's a rather massive assumption. It's clear Apple has known about the issue for a while, so obviously it wasn't as easy as a fix as you imply. Probably some very complex stuff happening behind the scenes they had to sort out. 

Either way glad it's here. I've noticed when people's needs are addressed, or anything from a wish list is fulfilled, most of the responses are bitching and whining about why it wasn't done earlier. Why not be happy that we have something today we didn't have yesterday? Personally I've switched from iPhone to Android and back many times over the years and NEVER had any issues with messages not going through. 

Apple has addressed ALOT of longstanding complaints with their software/services the last year or so. 

• Reply 5 of 39
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

That's a rather massive assumption. It's clear Apple has known about the issue for a while, so obviously it wasn't as easy as a fix as you imply. Probably some very complex stuff happening behind the scenes they had to sort out. 

Either way glad it's here. I've noticed when people's needs are addressed, or anything from a wish list is fulfilled, most of the responses are bitching and whining about why it wasn't done earlier. Why not be happy that we have something today we didn't have yesterday? Personally I've switched from iPhone to Android and back many times over the years and NEVER had any issues with messages not going through. 

Apple has addressed ALOT of longstanding complaints with their software/services the last year or so. 

This "Delist"  feature should have been there since iMessage launch. I mean no one at Apple asked themselves "What happens if someone didn't disable iMessage before erasing their iPhone and no longer have it?". The other issue was disabling iMessage before erasing did not always work (personal experience since I experience this bug). The other major issue was that Apple didn't have a solution for three years for anyone experiencing this issue.

• Reply 6 of 39
    slurpy wrote: »

If and when MS ever creates a great version of Windows, which I hope won't be called Windows, the same type of comments will persist: They should have done it a long time ago. At least with this iMessaging delisting it could be done a long time ago, while MS may only do it (if they can ever do what they need to do with their archaic code) after it's far too late for anyone to really care.
  • Reply 7 of 39

Because Tim Cook had more important things on his mind, like deciding whether to reveal his sexual orientation to the world or not.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    slurpy wrote: »

You regularly switch between iPhone and Android?

I see you have as much loyalty to Apple as Schmidt; how apt.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

To be fair I don't think loyalty to any platform is necessary. I don't use Android because it's made by Google and it's junk, not because it's not made by Apple.

• Reply 10 of 39
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:

Because Tim Cook had more important things on his mind, like deciding whether to reveal his sexual orientation to the world or not.

What an asinine thing to say, let alone think. In every sense of the word.

• Reply 11 of 39
    Quote:

It's not a sect, nor a church. It's a tech company that may or may not deliver a product as good as their advertisement says it is.

In that respect, as it took three years to fix this irritating issue, it was NOT as good as the ads say. It did not "just work".

• Reply 12 of 39
    Quote:

Because Cook is the programmer-cum-designer-cum-adcreator-cum-hardwareguy-cum-ceo at Apple.

Impressive guy.

Or maybe you're just drunk.

• Reply 13 of 39
    Why would anyone switch to Android?
  • Reply 14 of 39

It's not a sect, nor a church. It's a tech company that may or may not deliver a product as good as their advertisement says it is.

In that respect, as it took three years to fix this irritating issue, it was NOT as good as the ads say. It did not "just work".

It just worked fine as long as you stuck with iPhone. While it needed to be addressed, why would anyone expect this to be a priority?
  • Reply 15 of 39
    customtb wrote: »

It just worked fine as long as you stuck with iPhone. While it needed to be addressed, why would anyone expect this to be a priority?
    I know, why would such a glaring hole in security be a prority? :eek:
  • Reply 16 of 39
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

God, you're seriously fucking disgusting. There's no level you wont stoop, and theres nothing too trashy or classless for you to say. How filthy of you, especially since you dont believe a word of it.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The new website entitled "Deregister iMessage" gives instructions on how to disable Apple's proprietary messaging service if the user still owns their iPhone. But in the event that they have switched to another platform and no longer have their iPhone, users can enter their cell phone number to have a confirmation code sent to verify their intent.

Users will receive a confirmation code at their cell phone number
    that they can then enter at Apple's website, which will delist their number from iMessage. Doing so will ensure that in the future, messages sent from iOS devices will default to standard SMS or MMS messages rather than iMessage.

Maybe I am reading this wrong. If the user no longer has their iPhone, how is the person supposed to receive a confirmation code to confirm their intent? Is it going to be sent to your new phone? If so, what stops a stranger or an ex-girlfriend or boyfriend from deregistering someone else?

I am sure I am reading this wrong, right?

Upon further thought, I realize that the authentication must be through your iCloud.

• Reply 18 of 39
    technotechno Posts: 737member

As I look at the de-list web page, I do not see how it verifies you are the proper person. Can it only be done if you have kept the same number? What if you have switched numbers and you cannot receive a text to that old number you want to de-list. I am assuming that number will be reassigned to someone else at some point. Will that new person have trouble registering it with iMessage?

• Reply 19 of 39
    I know, why would such a glaring hole in security be a prority? :eek:

In what way is it a security hole?
  • Reply 20 of 39
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

I think the class action lawsuit may have had something to do with nudging Apple forward.