Full video of Tim Cook's WSJD Live conference panel posted online

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2014
The Wall Street Journal has released the full version of its interview with Apple CEO Tim Cook filmed at the inaugural WSJD Live conference in October, where topics discussed ranged from Apple Pay to Apple Watch and more.

Cook's brief Q&A session with WSJ managing editor Gerry Baker failed to reveal much in the way of new information, but the Apple chief did offer insightful commentary on ongoing topics of interest like the "skirmish" between Apple Pay and Merchant Customer Exchange retailers.

Unsurprisingly, Cook was bullish on the iPhone and noted the handset is expected to be a major component in overall company revenue over the near term. The iPhone currently accounts for about half of Apple's income.

Cook also pointed out other areas of growth, specifically iTunes software and services, which is now a $18 billion business. For the most recent fiscal quarter, iTunes brought in $5.4 billion, up 22 percent year-over-year. In July, the segment became one of Apple's fastest-growing operating segments.

On Apple Watch, Cook said Apple realizes that a smartwatch needs to be fashionable to succeed, but pointed out that the fashion industry is "totally new for us."

A 34-minute video of the complete session is embedded above and can be found on the Journal's website alongside a writeup covering highlights from the talk.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Knows his stuff.

Apple as a whole company right now I think need to focus on BUGS BUGS BUGS; hardware and software. Take a deep breath and fix everything!
  • Reply 2 of 27

'On Apple Watch, Cook said Apple realizes that a smartwatch needs to be fashionable to succeed, but pointed out that the fashion industry is "totally new for us."'

Cook is helpfully giving forewarning that the Apple Watch is going to bomb. "Totally new for us" is Cook-speak for "hobby."

• Reply 3 of 27
    It should be called WWSJD. ;)
    To which Tim would say: "trust my instincts."
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Cook is helpfully giving forewarning that the Apple Watch is going to bomb. "Totally new for us" is Cook-speak for "hobby."

Except he’s not shy about saying ‘hobby’ in regard to a product, so no.

• Reply 5 of 27

Except he’s not shy about saying ‘hobby’ in regard to a product, so no.

I like your new avatar. Poor, sad one.
  • Reply 6 of 27

I like your new avatar. Poor, sad one.

It’s more accurate.

• Reply 7 of 27
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    'On Apple Watch, Cook said Apple realizes that a smartwatch needs to be fashionable to succeed, but pointed out that the fashion industry is "totally new for us."'

Quite sad and pathetic that you're willing a product to failure. Nothing that Cook has said about ?Watch indicates he thinks it's going to be a failure. He's called the watch "profound" and the technology "killer". he also said you'll be charging a daily because you'll be using it so much. Who would say that about a product they expect to bomb?
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

he also said you'll be charging a daily because you'll be using it so much.

Ah, well... Charging it daily because it’s physically too small and power intensive for a longer battery.

Geez, we really need a breakthrough in battery tech.

• Reply 9 of 27
    Naysayers on your soapbox: I've grown deaf to your Apple failure fantasies.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Ah, well... Charging it daily because it’s physically too small and power intensive for a longer battery.

Geez, we really need a breakthrough in battery tech.

Honestly I think Tim is being conservative and setting expectations low so Apple can beat them. Jony Ive mentioned an alarm feature using the taptic engine, which of course would be difficult to use if the watch is sitting in a charger and not on your wrist. So either he knows something Tim doesn't or they need to get their stories straight when it comes to battery life. The question I have is how long will it take to charge? If it's under two hours one could conceivably charge it before they go to bed and charge it again in the morning before they leave for the day.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Honestly I think Tim is being conservative and setting expectations low so Apple can beat them.

I should hope so.

• Reply 12 of 27
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Okay, I’ve had enough. Blocked

• Reply 13 of 27
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Quote:

And why isn't he wearing one? So yes- agreed.

• Reply 14 of 27
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

Wow. The Apple Watch will also bomb because Tim is gay, right? That seems to be your newest filthy trolling angle.

• Reply 15 of 27
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

And why isn't he wearing one? So yes- agreed.

Not sure which one of you is worse than the other. Truly pathetic. 

• Reply 16 of 27

I'd never waste my time posting on a story that I am not interested in or have an active dislike of. If I have a dislike for something, I'll say it once and then STFU. No point swarming every thread with 'epic fail', 'LOL suckzzz', etc.

I am as excited about the Apple Watch as I was when I bought the first iPhone. For years the only source of excitement was a newer phone, or a newer iPad. Macs were far and few between. But now we have something totally new. And I just can't wait to get one.

• Reply 17 of 27
    Quote:

What's with the general troll behaviour lately? Between this, your comment about being too busy considering whether to announce his sexuality or not... Got bitten by some Samsung bug?

• Reply 18 of 27
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

I'd never waste my time posting on a story that I am not interested in or have an active dislike of. If I have a dislike for something, I'll say it once and then STFU. No point swarming every thread with 'epic fail', 'LOL suckzzz', etc.

I am as excited about the Apple Watch as I was when I bought the first iPhone. For years the only source of excitement was a newer phone, or a newer iPad. Macs were far and few between. But now we have something totally new. And I just can't wait to get one.

Me2.

• Reply 19 of 27
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member

Just like the 'phone' business and the 'music business' were totally new to Apple .... your attempt at knocking Apple yet again fails based upon actual history and facts.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    lkrupp wrote: »

Okay, I’ve had enough. Blocked

Me too as of now, now if only the Block feature on this blog also blocked all quotes too.