Apple responds to Masque Attack concerns, says unaware of affected users

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2014
Coming days after the discovery of an iOS vulnerability called "Masque Attack" was made public, Apple late Thursday issued a statement regarding the potentially malicious software, saying default OS X and iOS security settings are enough to thwart attacks.

In a statement provided to iMore, Apple responded to media reports propping up Masque Attack as a major threat to iOS security, which many consider to be one of the safest consumer solutions in the world.
We designed OS X and iOS with built-in security safeguards to help protect customers and warn them before installing potentially malicious software. We're not aware of any customers that have actually been affected by this attack. We encourage customers to only download from trusted sources like the App Store and to pay attention to any warnings as they download apps. Enterprise users installing custom apps should install apps from their company's secure website.
The comments are in line with AppleInsider's analysis of the threat. As reported earlier this week, Masque is not viral and can only affect users who intentionally disable default security settings and manually bypass Apple safeguards to install unsigned code.

According to computer security firm FireEye, which discovered Masque Attack earlier this year, the attack revolves around phony apps that masquerade as legitimate software, such as banking apps or finance programs. Because a phony app mimics the user interface of the program it replaces, users may be tricked into entering sensitive login information that is subsequently sent to an off-site command and control server.

Distributed through email or malicious websites, these fake apps take advantage of Apple's Enterprise provisioning system, which does not verify code signing certificates for apps that use identical bundle identifiers. To avoid downloading malicious software, users should not install apps distributed outside of the iOS App Store or secure corporate servers.

Apple has subsequently posted a support document detailing custom enterprise apps.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51

8.1.1 in a week or so to make this moot.

• Reply 2 of 51
    It's funny that this gets more press than the actual exploits that in years past have allowed phones to be jailbroken simply by going to a website. Some of those hacks were indeed clever and could have caused serious harm if the developer had been black hat. This Masque Attack is like worrying that a jet engine will fall through your bedroom and kill you. Beware the white rabbit.

8.1.1 in a week or so to make this moot.

How will 8.1.1 keep from circumventing the enterprise provisioning profiles?
  • Reply 3 of 51
    Apple makes a good point in asking where are the affected users.

The media, the researchers and the government are trying to make this something that it is not.
    Blowing this into something it's not does not help anyone.
  • Reply 4 of 51
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    I find it difficult to only use the App Store for software downloads. There are a lot of good apps that for one reason or another are not available there. Carbon Copy Cloner, Indigo (home automation), CrushFTP, various Tivo interface apps, printer software and so on are not on the App Store. I also have things that use Java which I know plenty of people think is a terrible, but I don't really have a choice in the matter. I can complain to the developers and device manufacturers, but I'm pretty sure that falls on deaf ears. Of course Apple uses an amazing java app in their customer service centers and for At Home Advisors, so maybe Java isn't all that bad?
  • Reply 5 of 51
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Apparently only 9 people have bent iphones too.
  • Reply 6 of 51
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Apple makes a good point in asking where are the affected users.

The media, the researchers and the government are trying to make this something that it is not.

Blowing this into something it's not does not help anyone.

Hah, I think this is too funny, It's not just Apple, things like this are always blown out of proportion, I have never had a single virus or malware on any of my devices but if you believe some of these articles out there, like many on this board do, you would think that PC's and Android devices are all riddled with them. Simply not true, those that follow proper security should allows be safe.

• Reply 7 of 51
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Hah, I think this is too funny, It's not just Apple, things like this are always blown out of proportion, I have never had a single virus or malware on any of my devices but if you believe some of these articles out there, like many on this board do, you would think that PC's and Android devices are all riddled with them. Simply not true, those that follow proper security should allows be safe.

Huh, I had PCs and needed to wipe my HDD a few times because of virus. Just you didn't get it doesn't make it unreal. Asks Microsoft why do they always provide security updates every couple of weeks if there's no such a danger.

Sheesh. I hate this revisionist. Just because Apple system is significantly safer, now all security flaws in other's OS are all imaginative. Talks about head in the sand.

• Reply 8 of 51
    Speaking of issues, anyone know what the deal is with us-ore-00001.s3.amazonaws.com is? First time I'm asking for help. Little snitch is reporting it and it wants to update every 21 sec or less. This is on a computer that has really only contacted the iTunes Store, it's a media center only computer.

Really would appreciate the help here. My searches, from an iPad, do not look promising. I have a scheduled call with Apple, but in the past they never seem to know much. They play the beginner game... "Unplug your computer" "plug it back in" "repair permissions".

I truly would appreciate the help from someone who actually knows what it is.

Thank you in advance. :)
  • Reply 9 of 51
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

I find it difficult to only use the App Store for software downloads. There are a lot of good apps that for one reason or another are not available there. Carbon Copy Cloner, Indigo (home automation), CrushFTP, various Tivo interface apps, printer software and so on are not on the App Store. I also have things that use Java which I know plenty of people think is a terrible, but I don't really have a choice in the matter. I can complain to the developers and device manufacturers, but I'm pretty sure that falls on deaf ears.

None of which has anything to do with iOS.

I could tell unsophisticated Mac users to limit their software downloads to the App Store but I'm pretty sure that falls on deaf ears.

• Reply 10 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post

Speaking of issues, anyone know what the deal is with us-ore-00001.s3.amazonaws.com is?

It's one of the cloud storage services Apple uses for the App Store and iTunes Store.

Amazon, Google, and MSFT are so desperate to compete with one another for the storage business that it's practically free.

• Reply 11 of 51
    solipsismy wrote: »
    It's funny that this gets more press than the actual exploits that in years past have allowed phones to be jailbroken simply by going to a website. Some of those hacks were indeed clever and could have caused serious harm if the developer had been black hat. This Masque Attack is like worrying that a jet engine will fall through your bedroom and kill you. Beware the white rabbit.

All (or most) of the exploits are still there. The worst ones are the ones that can be done with a simple USB drive that Jain breaks

You are far too intelligent for this. The web hacks imply that you are willfully doing it, by yourself, with your own actions. This is simply a public way to show people how to hack into someone else's phone when they put it down (if they are showering or something).

I can personally attest that an iPhone, iPad, or Mac can be hacked. Just search for something that will do it. If you have enough money you can buy the program where you only need to plug in a USB drive for a few seconds. It will be jail broken, linked and done in under a minute with physical access and you will not be able to see. I suppose if you are a loner (certainly not saying you are) it's not an issue however.

God bless! ????
  • Reply 12 of 51
    So if you purposely disable or bypass security measures so that you can install untrusted apps then you may be exposing yourself to untrusted apps? Who would have thunk it?

In other news, if a complete stranger asks to borrow your iPhone for 24 hours and also asks that you provide them with your iPhone passcode and your iCloud password then it's possible that you may be exposing yourself to theft, hacking, identity theft, or a privacy invasion. Be on guard for this attack until Apple patches iOS.
  • Reply 13 of 51
    john galt wrote: »
    It's one of the cloud storage services Apple uses for the App Store and iTunes Store.

Amazon, Google, and MSFT are so desperate to compete with one another for the storage business that it's practically free.

I could be wrong, but a computer that has never seen Amazon shouldn't even show this. It only showed up after Yosemitee. It's a 2012 Mac Mini. Also, when I earlier mentioned that my search results didn't look promising, it was because it has apparently been a Windows Malware issue since Vista. Seriously. I didn't want to bring up a competitor because usually on this site you get ignored or banned.

I actually did spend a few hours looking into it before I posted here. The computer is out of warranty, the apple support page I posted the issue to was responded to by an Apple Employee with a link to have an Apple Rep call me.
  • Reply 14 of 51
    solipsismy wrote: »

I think we are supposed to follow the white rabbit.

I don't understand pro-jailbreak community especially people becoming upset that Apple patches the vulnerabilities.

Notably, Google Android considers the option to install malicious, rogue apps a feature. Which is it; a vulnerability or a feature or is this entirely dependent upon which system is in discussion?
  • Reply 15 of 51
    Quote:

I could be wrong, but a computer that has never seen Amazon shouldn't even show this.

If you use iTunes, your computer has "seen" Amazon since AWS is one of the storage facilities hosting iTunes music. Another one you might see is Microsoft's data center services. As far as I know Apple has never used Google's cloud services.

It's normal. Don't worry about it.

• Reply 16 of 51
    tQuote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Huh, I had PCs and needed to wipe my HDD a few times because of virus. Just you didn't get it doesn't make it unreal. Asks Microsoft why do they always provide security updates every couple of weeks if there's no such a danger.

Sheesh. I hate this revisionist. Just because Apple system is significantly safer, now all security flaws in other's OS are all imaginative. Talks about head in the sand.

From a technical point of view, Android's system lies somewhere between OS X and iOS -- its method of restricting app installations by default is virtually identical to Gatekeeper on OS X, and unlike OS X it sandboxes all apps, not just apps from the app store. The main feature that sets iOS apart from either Android or OS X is that iOS essentially requires all apps to be approved by Apple, either directly through the App Store review process, or indirectly if they are installed using a temporary developer certificate. It's not really intended to be programmed like a traditional computer since everything the end user installs using a developer certificate will stop working once the certificate expires. 

• Reply 17 of 51
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:

Speaking of issues, anyone know what the deal is with us-ore-00001.s3.amazonaws.com is? First time I'm asking for help. Little snitch is reporting it and it wants to update every 21 sec or less. This is on a computer that has really only contacted the iTunes Store, it's a media center only computer.

Really would appreciate the help here. My searches, from an iPad, do not look promising. I have a scheduled call with Apple, but in the past they never seem to know much. They play the beginner game... "Unplug your computer" "plug it back in" "repair permissions".

I truly would appreciate the help from someone who actually knows what it is.

Thank you in advance. image

Try G4Monster's tip

P.S. Let us know if it works.

• Reply 18 of 51
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

I find it difficult to only use the App Store for software downloads. There are a lot of good apps that for one reason or another are not available there. 

The article is referring to the iOS app store in iTunes, not the MacOS App Store.  The point is you have to have jailbroken your iPhone to even install one of the miscreant apps.

• Reply 19 of 51
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    That government warning was ridiculous. The chances of being impacted is extremely remote. I guess Apple really is the new Microsoft that everyone wants to take down. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 20 of 51
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    dcgoo wrote: »
    The point is you have to have jailbroken your iPhone to even install one of the miscreant apps.
    No sir, jailbreaking is not necessary. AI linked an article where they discussed it.

"choosing to "Trust" app installs that iOS identifies as being from an "Untrusted App Developer." . In other words supposed enterprise apps, something not at all uncommon for users of iOS in business environments. Apple makes it very easy to do too. It doesn't mean that iOS users should be concerned, just aware.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/11/10/wirelurker-masque-attack-malware-only-a-threat-for-users-who-disable-apples-ios-os-x-security