AT&T promo gives subscribers 15GB of data for the price of 10GB

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2014
Spurred on by increased competition in the wireless space, U.S. No. 2 carrier AT&T is rolling out a limited-time promotion that nets customers 15GB of data for $100 per month, or the current going rate for 10GB of data.

Marketed under AT&T's Mobile Share Value plan, the promotion effectively gives new and existing subscribers 5GB of extra data for the same $100 per month price tag. Monthly fees include unlimited talk and text.

The fight for America's post-paid subscribers continues with upstart T-Mobile forcing the hands of industry monoliths through its "Un-carrier" campaign, adding new subs at the expense of AT&T and Verizon.

In October, AT&T announced permanent double data allotments for Mobile Share Value plans, a response to increased competition from other telecoms like T-Mobile. The nation's largest carrier, Verizon, offered buffed data plans and incentives to customers switching providers on the same day.

AT&T is also running a stealth deal with Apple that gives current subscribers $50 for upgrading their device to a new iPhone under the Next hardware leasing plan. To qualify for the $50 bill credit, iPhone purchases must be made through the Apple Store.

As for AT&T's limited-time data promotion, the company said it will start offering the deal to customers on Tuesday. The company has not yet announced an expiration date.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    $100 for 15 GB of data.

Am I suppose to be impressed?
  • Reply 2 of 42

Cell phone companies throw us table scraps and we're supposed to be overjoyed? I'll stick to my Sprint unlimited everything plan. 

• Reply 3 of 42

Regarding the $50 rebate for buying a Next upgrade through Apple, even though they have a phone at the Apple store, the web site says that you can't pick the phone up at the store. You have to have it mailed to you and wait 4 to 6 weeks.

• Reply 4 of 42
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by msantti View Post

$100 for 15 GB of data.

Am I suppose to be impressed?

No. The point is that ATT tried to get at least $100 out of you for data usage. I refuse to go over 2GB of data for 2 devices in my household...well, it's free upgraded to 3GB now, thanks, ATT. Wireless plan cost more over time even though they throw in more data package, but the price never goes down.

• Reply 5 of 42
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleFanPro View Post

Cell phone companies throw us table scraps and we're supposed to be overjoyed? I'll stick to my Sprint unlimited everything plan. 

But Sprint coverage and speed were also craps too. Yeah, their LTE speed is pathetic and slow as ATT 3G speed.

• Reply 6 of 42
    we are not impressed.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Verizon is currently $80 for 10GB and $100 for 15GB (we're on the 15GB plan).  So, how is this any different?

• Reply 8 of 42
    oo63oo63 Posts: 10member

Anyone remember not too long ago how AT&T was charging $20 for 200 text messages? 

• Reply 9 of 42
    Feel the pain, AT&T and Verizon, as T-Mobile takes your business.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    Last month ATT had a killer deal, 30GB for the price of 10.
  • Reply 11 of 42
    oo63 wrote: »
    Anyone remember not too long ago how AT&T was charging $20 for 200 text messages? 

YES! I had my SMS disabled from their end because I think it's a racket. I'm surprised that never came up as an illegal money making scheme by the carriers.

Perhaps ironically, earlier this year I started needing SMS because of 2-step verifications. Now that I'm on Verizon it's not an issue.
  • Reply 12 of 42
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

Yup, and as we now know, you will be throttled down by 95% by Sprint when you get to well under 15GB. At least with my Verizon 15GB plan, also for $100, that doesn't happen. All companies that offer unlimited are doing dramatic throttling below some arbitrary number, usually well below 10GB.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Feel the pain, AT&T and Verizon, as T-Mobile takes your business.

T-Mobile sucks big time. They throttle heavily too.
  • Reply 14 of 42
    fallenjt wrote: »
    No. The point is that ATT tried to get at least $100 out of you for data usage. I refuse to go over 2GB of data for 2 devices in my household...well, it's free upgraded to 3GB now, thanks, ATT. Wireless plan cost more over time even though they throw in more data package, but the price never goes down.

I know it isn't popular to say this, but companies have fixed costs. They can't go below those costs, plus, if they are going to make a profit. It's cheaper to give more, than to lower prices. Apple uses the same formula. They rarely lower prices, but instead give us better specs, etc.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    melgross wrote: »

Maybe, but I haven't noticed that. I have noticed that their website is cleaner and faster than AT&T and Verizon, that they have LTE in my area, which AT&T didn't do until a few weeks before the iPhone 6 launch, their prices are better, and, most important, they don't BS the customer. i still have the same dead areas on the highway as I did with AT&T and didn't with Verizon. The worst part is when it says there are full bars with EDGE (2G) yet you seem to have no data or phone calls are pretty bad, but I don't think they're trying to be deceptive there, but more importantly it's not something I experience enough to give much consideration too.

I think this next quarter their pre-paid activation numbers are going best Verizon and they are already killing AT&T and Sprint.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    runbuhrunbuh Posts: 315member
    spacekid wrote: »
    Regarding the $50 rebate for buying a Next upgrade through Apple, even though they have a phone at the Apple store, the web site says that you can't pick the phone up at the store. You have to have it mailed to you and wait 4 to 6 weeks.
    You can walk into an Apple store and do a Next purchase, but you cannot execute a Next purchase through the Apple online store for in-store pickup.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Maybe, but I haven't noticed that. I have noticed that their website is cleaner and faster than AT&T and Verizon, that they have LTE in my area, which AT&T didn't do until a few weeks before the iPhone 6 launch, their prices are better, and, most important, they don't BS the customer. i still have the same dead areas on the highway as I did with AT&T and didn't with Verizon. The worst part is when it says there are full bars with EDGE (2G) yet you seem to have no data or phone calls are pretty bad, but I don't think they're trying to be deceptive there, but more importantly it's not something I experience enough to give much consideration too.

I think this next quarter their pre-paid activation numbers are going best Verizon and they are already killing AT&T and Sprint.

You likely don't use enough data to see the throttling. But it's been shown that they do throttle their unlimited plans, as everyone else does. You're lucky with LTE, as they have the worst LTE coverage of the four.

And, yeah, they've been caught BSing their customers.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2014/07/its-not-just-verizon-all-major-us-carriers-throttle-unlimited-data/
  • Reply 18 of 42
    melgross wrote: »
    You likely don't use enough data to see the throttling. But it's been shown that they do throttle their unlimited plans, as everyone else does. You're lucky with LTE, as they have the worst LTE coverage of the four.

And, yeah, they've been caught BSing their customers.

1) Worse LTE than Sprint who based WiMAX — remember them? — for way too long after the rigor morits was setting in?

2) I don't have an unlimited plan. I pay for 3GiB, which is typically about about 2x as much as I need, but now that I can tether without a $20 fee appended to my bill I have been using about 70% of my plan I travel and stay overnight.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    oo63oo63 Posts: 10member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

YES! I had my SMS disabled from their end because I think it's a racket. I'm surprised that never came up as an illegal money making scheme by the carriers.

Perhaps ironically, earlier this year I started needing SMS because of 2-step verifications. Now that I'm on Verizon it's not an issue.

Don't forget how they were continuing to tack on subsidized phone costs to their monthly bill even after customers were done paying off their contracted phones (then again, all carriers were doing that back then).

Wife and I were with T-Mo for 6 years, then switched to AT&T for 2 years cuz of the iPhone. As soon as T-Mo carried the iPhone, my wife and I went back. I have 3GB data plan on my mobile and I balance between WiFi use and actual data. 

• Reply 20 of 42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That's simply not true. T-Mobile offers excellent LTE speeds in all major markets, unlike Sprint. And while they are upfront about throttling you after your data allotment if you're on one of their low cost plans, the throttling is very gentle (250kbps, enough to stream SiriusXM and choppy video), and if you're on their unlimited plan there is absolutely no throttling and the speed is awesome. So stop lying.