Review: FLIR ONE and Seek bring thermal imaging to iPhone

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45

I'm not that satisfied. I bought one from http://www.test-equipment.com.au/flir-systems and another one for my iPhone, I compared the both devices and I'm not satisfied with the iPhone one.

• Reply 42 of 45
    A couple of updates, in case anyone has subscribed to this:

Flir has announced a new version of the Flir One that is a plug-in module instead of an integrated case, so it will likely fit something other than the iPhone 5/5s. They also state that it will be available for Android devices. I don't know the release date, but you can sign up at their website.

Firmware in the original Flir One model has been updated so that it passes charging current through to the phone.
  • Reply 43 of 45

I have both, including the newer Seek XR. I work as a wildland firefighter and have used all three in suppression efforts in the western US. out of the three cameras the regular Seek Thermal camera rises to the top. I find the FLIR One's internal battery to be a downfall, not a benefit. It is just another device I need to keep charged and in wildland fire, charging options are often limited. In use, while the FLIR One's image looks better with the dual camera setup, It wasn't enough to sway me from the Seek Thermal camera. The high/low detection mode worked great as hotspots would jump out as the camera panned across the landscape. FLIR's option only shows the temperature as the center of the image pans across the heat source, and only if you constantly re-calibrate the camera with the switch on the back. Like the author said, this is very annoying. Seek allows you to set a threshold temperature where FLIR only lets you lock a current temperature span. I had an opportunity to use it from a helicopter by having the camera attached to my iPad by a 6' extension cable. The smoke from the fire put visibility at around 200' so we were just following the river back to the village we were protecting. I held the camera out the window and could see through the smoke like it wasn't there. granted the resolution of the camera isn't very high, but i was able to see the river, the trees along the bank, and the wall of flames working it's way toward the river. It was definitely better than optical vision. After my testing the regular Seek camera easily came out on top for my uses in wildland fire and I would recommend it to anyone in the fire service. 

It took me two months to get my first one that I ordered in September 2014. I have ordered several more since and delivery times are now where they should be. I have tried the iOS and Android versions and both seem to work well. This is the best tool I have as a firefighter. Try it out.

• Reply 44 of 45
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    I have the XR and the regular SEEK, and I agree that for wildfire applications the larger field of view is better. It also wins for applications such as diagnosing electronic circuits and building issues. The XR works better for outdoor detection of smaller objects at distance, such as for search and rescue use or, presumably, hunting.