Google's search deal with Apple expires in early 2015, could bring new default to Safari

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2014
The Safari browser for both iOS and Mac could have a new default search partner as soon as next year, as Apple's current deal with Google is reportedly set to expire in early 2015.

The most likely replacement candidates --?Yahoo and Microsoft -- have already spoken with Apple's Eddy Cue about replacing Google, according to Amir Efrati of The Information. It was said that Cue's decision is "likely to be based on the quality of the product as much as the potential money made from search ads."

Apple already replaced Google in Siri with the launch of iOS 7 in 2013. Since then, default search results have come from Microsoft's Bing, though users can audibly request the virtual personal assistant to "search Google" if they so choose.

As for Yahoo, CEO Marissa Mayer publicly stated earlier this year that she wants Apple to ditch Google as the default iOS search engine. She recently successfully negotiated a deal with Mozilla to make Yahoo the default provider in its Firefox browser.

Apple, meanwhile, has been steadily removing Google services as default options from its iOS platform. While iPhones previously shipped with Google Maps, Apple famously -- and controversially -- switched to its own proprietary mapping solution in 2012. In addition, YouTube is no longer a native iOS app.

Microsoft was said to be in talks with Apple to make Bing the default iPhone search engine as far back as 2010. Users can change their iOS Safari search engine to Yahoo, Bing and DuckDuckGo if they choose, but out of the box the browser will default to Google.

The rift between Google and Apple began to escalate when the search giant unveiled Android, entering it into the smartphone market to compete with the iPhone and eventually into the tablet space to take on the iPad. Apple co-founder Steve Jobs was incensed by Google's moves, vowing to "go thermonuclear" to destroy Android, which he viewed as a "stolen product."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 92
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,712member
    Or maybe ?Search? Hey I can hope.
  • Reply 2 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Anything but Google or Yahoo. Bing would seem to be the alternative they'd probably look at, given that Siri and Spotlight already use it.

• Reply 3 of 92

I vote for DuckDuckGo.

• Reply 4 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I vote for DuckDuckGo.

+1. Am already using it in all my browsers. The less Google we have, the better.

• Reply 5 of 92
    Switched over DDG on my iMac and MBA. Will do the same on my iPhone once I go to iOS8.
  • Reply 6 of 92
    unfortunately duckduckgo is pretty useless outside the US (Germany here)
  • Reply 7 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bubffm View Post

unfortunately duckduckgo is pretty useless outside the US (Germany here)

DDG's image search is pretty useless as well.

• Reply 8 of 92
    So what is wrong with Google again?
  • Reply 9 of 92
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Who at Apple has experience in creating a world class search engine? This same publication reported yesterday that Apple is struggling with iCloud development because of organizational issues. No way would they be able to take on their own search engine. Like the IBM partnership I think search is an area Apple needs to partner with someone who's an expert at it. And it should be 100% about which search engine provides the best user experience.
  • Reply 10 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by darylayala View Post

So, what is right with Google?

• Reply 11 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Who at Apple has experience in creating a world class search engine? This same publication reported yesterday that Apple is struggling with iCloud development because of organizational issues. No way would they be able to take on their own search engine. Like the IBM partnership I think search is an area Apple needs to partner with someone who's an expert at it. And it should be 100% about which search engine provides the best user experience.

or use that mountain of money and buy Yahoo and combine the Yahoo / iCloud teams.  

• Reply 12 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

or use that mountain of money and buy Yahoo and combine the Yahoo / iCloud teams.  

Yahoo is terrible. They need to be left to die slowly in the corner. Apple doesn't need to buy anyone, Microsoft will happily partner with them to use Bing.

• Reply 13 of 92
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    canukstorm wrote: »

Yikes I hope not. How about renegotiating with Google (after Apple's made them sweat for a while). ;)
  • Reply 14 of 92
    Bing has been my default search for two years now. Never missed Google and never looked back. Fewer ads... goods results. Never understood people's obsession with Google.
  • Reply 15 of 92
    Quote:

Aside from the massive amount of data they collect about you and share without your knowledge? Google has their fingers in so many data holes it's no longer funny. Have you ever noticed how Google just seems to magically know what you're about to search for? Yeah... :) If you use a web browser (Chrome, in particular), any brand of smartphone, a Nest product, a Dropcam, have a Google email address or use any Google service such as YouTube or work for a company that uses Google services (which you may not be aware of), Google knows more about you than you'd prefer them to know. Google knows when I'm home, what temperature I prefer, whether or not my house is on fire, what I search for, and where I am at all times - and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

• Reply 16 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So, you believed EVERYTHING that was written in that article? Really? You?

There was a time Amazon, Google, Microsoft, Yahoo! and others were not nearly as good with cloud computing as they are today. Apple is doing an incredible job with iCloud, in my opinion. My pictures sync with all of my devices quickly. So does my music, notes, calendar, browser bookmarks and e-books. 

There are many people who continue to choose to believe Steve Jobs was flawless even though they know the truth. These people will find supposed flaws in Apple products then write about how the products to do not stack up to Steve Jobs' vision of the products. These writings then hit the blogosphere to rapidly spread doubt about Apple.

I am not wearing blinders about Apple. There is always room from improvement in all products. 

Apple getting into search would put all search-related companies on immediate notice. Sure, there will be a multitude of criticism about "Apple Search" being inferior to other search engines, but I bet the other companies would step up their search games just like Google stepped up its Maps game when Apple Maps was released.

I hope Apple does get into the search business to remove one more Google piece from iOS and OS X.

• Reply 17 of 92
    Please Apple do not start your own search. We all saw what happened when you went on your own for maps...I am a die hard Apple fan but please stick with what you are good at. Even if it means using an evil search engine...

If I had to vote now I would say Bing would be OK. I just do not have a ton of experience with search outside of Google...
  • Reply 18 of 92
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,032member
    Quote:

Google might be having a little trouble with that "don't be evil" thing. I think DDG is great. Make that a default for US and something else where DDG doesn't work well.
  • Reply 19 of 92
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,032member
    Quote:

Google might be having a little trouble with that "don't be evil" thing. I think DDG is great. Make that a default for US and something else where DDG doesn't work well.
  • Reply 20 of 92
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Users can change their iOS Safari search engine to Yahoo, Bing and DuckDuckGo if they choose...

I chose DuckDuckGo.  Years ago.  Supposedly they don't track you, and there are far fewer pay-to-spam search results than Google.