Apple Watch website revamped with new UI and UX details

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited December 2014
Apple on Wednesday updated its dedicated Apple Watch website to include additional information on operating system features unique to the wearable device, including break-out categories covering health and fitness, timekeeping and messaging.

Partly a reshuffling of existing information previously lumped together in "Overview" and "Features" subcategories, the refreshed Apple Watch site does offer a glimpse at the device's user interface as well as examples of how Apple intends customers to use the device.

One section under the Timekeeping banner highlights so-called "complications," a term Apple borrowed from the watchmaking world to describe a specialized set of user-activated sub-features that appear on select watch faces. For example, users can customize their watch to display weather readings, daily activity and stocks in subgroups positioned around a central analog or digital clock readout. Tapping on a given complication opens the corresponding app from which data is being pulled.

The complication feature was previously shown off during an onstage demonstration conducted by Apple Vice President of Technology Kevin Lynch at the Apple Watch unveiling in September.

Also in the Timekeeping section is a grid of available watch faces and their respective descriptions. Prior to the webpage's update, Apple showed off each face in a graphic, but failed to go into detail about how each worked.

As for Apple Watch communications, Apple now includes animated demonstrations of Sketch, the image-based messaging tool that allows users to send simple doodles to each other by drawing directly on the watch face. The site also shows off Tap, which serves as a silent form of communication based on haptic alerts, as well as a unique Heartbeat feature that uses Apple Watch's onboard heart rate sensor to transfers readings as vibrations set to a pulsing heart illustration. Other animations include texting and phone call management.

Finally, Apple highlights Apple Watch health and fitness capabilities with in-depth detail on pedometer functions, movement tracking, data logging and syncing with a host iOS device. Animations are included for the built-in activity app's Move, Exercise and Stand graphical user interface that represents accumulated metrics by filling up gauges shaped like rings.

Apple Watch is expected to launch in early 2015, though a definitive date has not yet been set.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 71
    I'll buy 2 of these; put them in front of my eyes and call them Google Glasses.
  • Reply 2 of 71
    Want and want it yesterday.
  • Reply 3 of 71
    Keep it quite, Apple, it's too easy to [I]poorly[/I] copy SW features when you announce them early.
  • Reply 4 of 71
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Keep it quite, Apple, it's too easy to poorly copy SW features when you announce them early.

I agree somewhat. Some of these features are obvious, though. And some of them, like the moon phase, require culture to even see the value in them. I don't see a Samsung buyer interested in moon phases.
  • Reply 5 of 71
    in before BF lets us all know how unimpressed he is with the ugly iWatch and how innovation at Apple is dead.

us, we're getting two. daily activity monitor, pedometer, wireless headphones iPod, apple pay, simple comms...sounds great for $350.
  • Reply 6 of 71
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

Good luck reading that when you see it in actual size. This could possibly be Apple's Edsel sadly. Can't wait to see Ellen Degeneres' take on it.

• Reply 7 of 71
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Man, that's a fuckload of sexy images and content. Probably 50x more already than any other smartwatch OEM has on their sites, and this isn't launching for months. The amt of effort they're putting into this, from every angle, is extremely promising.

Whether trolls like it or not (ie. Benjamin button, Pazuzu, etc) this thing is gonna be huge.
  • Reply 8 of 71
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Whatever one thinks of the ?Watch the section on Apple's website is very impressive. I don't ever remember seeing that much information for one product on apple.com.
  • Reply 9 of 71
    Oh I noticed too that many of the screen shots are using actual names of Apple employees.
  • Reply 10 of 71
    slurpy wrote: »
    Man, that's a fuckload of sexy images and content. Probably 50x more already than any other smartwatch OEM has on their sites, and this isn't launching for months. The amt of effort they're putting into this, from every angle, is extremely promising.

Whether trolls like it or not (ie. Benjamin button, Pazuzu, etc) this thing is gonna be huge.

?Watch is not a hobby. :smokey:
  • Reply 11 of 71
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Oh I noticed too that many of the screen shots are using actual names of Apple employees.

Completely irrelevant.

It's easy to set up an address book entry for Apple ID [email protected] as "Tim Cook" or "Philip Schiller" and use those identities for website screen shots. It's not like you're learning anything about their private lives. It's not a screen shot of Tim's actual watch, he didn't burn those calories, and that next appointment isn't on his real calendar. Heck, the watch may say 3:15pm PST in Cupertino, but he might have been in Shenzhen when the screen shot was taken. IT'S ALL FAKE.

Heck, they could use "Jesus Christ", "Adolf Hitler" and "Judge Crater" as others.

It doesn't matter at all.

• Reply 12 of 71
    In before all the naysayers harp on time and time again about how chunky the watch is, it doesn't do anything new, Apple is doomed etc.

I’ll be amazed if this sells less than 100 million in the first year.

Just kidding. ????
  • Reply 13 of 71
    I somehow doubt that "complication" should be mentioned in connection with your consumer tech product. No matter what it's supposed to mean.

;)
  • Reply 14 of 71
    mpantone wrote: »

Completely irrelevant.

It's easy to set up an address book entry for Apple ID [email protected] as "Tim Cook" or "Philip Schiller" and use those identities for website screen shots. It's not like you're learning anything about their private lives. It's not a screen shot of Tim's actual watch, he didn't burn those calories, and that next appointment isn't on his real calendar. Heck, the watch may say 3:15pm PST in Cupertino, but he might have been in Shenzhen when the screen shot was taken. IT'S ALL FAKE.

Heck, they could use "Jesus Christ", "Adolf Hitler" and "Judge Crater" as others.

I didn't say it mattered. I just found it interesting considering Apple has traditionally been a very secretive company. A couple of the names I already pulled up on LinkedIn just because I was curious what part of the company they worked in.
  • Reply 15 of 71

Completely irrelevant.

You forgot to stamp your little feet.
  • Reply 16 of 71
    In before all the naysayers harp on time and time again about how chunky the watch is, it doesn't do anything new, Apple is doomed etc.

I’ll be amazed if this sells less than 100 million in the first year.

Just kidding. ????

A shame, because you actually sounded like a reasonable person for a moment. Pssssyche.
  • Reply 17 of 71
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elian Gonzalez View Post

You forgot to stamp your little feet.

You are wrong. Either about my foot size, the action they took, or both. Feel free to guess.

Still enjoying Miami?

• Reply 18 of 71
    You are wrong. Either about my foot size, the action they took, or both. Feel free to guess.

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">Still enjoying Miami?</span>

Still enjoying Ferguson?
  • Reply 19 of 71

Looking at the amount of work that Apple's put into the Watch, it's no wonder that iOS 8 / OSX Yosemite are in the shape that they are.  All the best minds are on Apple Watch.

• Reply 20 of 71
    I'd like to hear about the battery life before getting overly excited about it.