Dropbox gains ability to rename files & folders, enhanced Office integration

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2014
The official Dropbox application for Apple's iOS received a significant update on Monday with key new features, including the ability to rename files and folders on the go, and also to launch Office files in their respective Microsoft apps.

Dropbox version 3.6 is a free download now available on the iOS App Store. It adds a "more actions" button, represented by three dots, on the iPhone version of the app, including quick options for renaming or moving files.

Users can also rename folders with the new version by swiping right from the list view, then tapping the rename icon.

The Dropbox update also includes a new toolbar in the bottom left corner that disappears and reappears as users need it. Tap anywhere within a photo or file to toggle between the toolbar and full screen.

Finally, Dropbox 3.6 also includes an edit icon in the toolbar for Microsoft Office files. Selecting this allows users to open and edit their documents from directly within Microsoft's official Office apps for iOS.

Dropbox is a universal app designed for both iPhone and iPad, and has been optimized for the larger displays of Apple's iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus. The 54.3-megabyte download requires iOS 7.0 or later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    I still say Apple should've purchased Dropbox and their team years ago.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I still say Apple should've purchased Dropbox and their team years ago.

They tried. Dropbox said no.

EDIT: YOU’RE TELLING ME THAT YOU COULDN’T RENAME FILES OR FOLDERS UNTIL NOW?! AND PEOPLE ACTUALLY USED DROPBOX? EVER?! Or is it just iOS’ version? My point stands, but it’s a touch less incredulous.

• Reply 3 of 8
    appexappex Posts: 687member

"a significant update on Monday with key new features, including the ability to rename files and folders"

Wow! Really? The Mac has been doing it and much more almost 31 years ago!

• Reply 4 of 8
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    They tried. Dropbox said no.

EDIT: YOU’RE TELLING ME THAT YOU COULDN’T RENAME FILES OR FOLDERS UNTIL NOW?! AND PEOPLE ACTUALLY USED DROPBOX? EVER?! Or is it just iOS’ version? My point stands, but it’s a touch less incredulous.
    That must have been an iOS exclusive feature. Everyone else has had the ability to rename things the whole time.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

...feature.

• Reply 6 of 8
    runbuhrunbuh Posts: 315member

Renaming files and folders on iOS devices? Where? Who? How? Can I rename iCloud files and folders via my iOS device today?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Up until iOS8 Dropbox on iOS has been mostly a retrieval app, not a whole lot of file adding or manipulating, so no great need for renaming.

• Reply 8 of 8
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by runbuh View Post

Renaming files and folders on iOS devices? Where? Who? How? Can I rename iCloud files and folders via my iOS device today?

sure you can, open a pages document and rename it, same for keynote, etc, rename docs in their respective apps too. Not sure if you are joking really.