Help Please!! Flashing Disk!!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hello,

I hope I am writing to the correct place, I just found this place by searching Google and it looks like you are a knowledgeable bunch of guys!!

I?m having a MAJOR problem with my iMac and I need to get a file off of it before Saturday. I?m writing to you now from one of my husband?s Macs. When I boot up all I see is a disk with a question mark flashing on a grey background. Does this mean I have to use one of the disks which came in the box?? If so, does anyone know which one? Will I loose my files?

The ironic thing is that my husband works for Apple! He is over in the UK for a week to show off some new Mac or other to the hardware staff there. I can?t wait to tell him about the problems I?ve been having when he calls tonight!!!

I hope someone out there can help me!!

Will check back later.

Lucy

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    This belongs in Genius Bar.

Here's my 2¢...when you boot up the computer hold down Command(Apple Key)+option+shift+delete. When you see the blinking disk icon after a while let it go. It *should* try to start up from a blessed System folder.

BTW, would you mind asking your husband what he's demoing?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    stimulistimuli Posts: 564member
    Hi Lucy,

This has remarkably little to do with 'Future Hardware', the title of this forum, but hey:

Boot from your Mac OS disk that came w/ your iMac. Put it in the CD tray, reboot, and hold down 'C' on the keyboard.

After it boots up, re-install Mac OS (do NOT do a 'clean install', just install over top)

Hope this helps.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    zazzaz Posts: 177member
    [quote]Originally posted by stimuli:

<strong>Hi Lucy,

This has remarkably little to do with 'Future Hardware', the title of this forum, but hey:

Boot from your Mac OS disk that came w/ your iMac. Put it in the CD tray, reboot, and hold down 'C' on the keyboard.

After it boots up, re-install Mac OS (do NOT do a 'clean install', just install over top)

Hope this helps.</strong><hr></blockquote>

If this is done you may find that you need to reinstall the application that opens the file (MS Word, for instance)
  • Reply 3 of 8
    lucyslucys Posts: 2member
    Thank you so much stimuli! It booted up straight away and is running through installation now.

Sorry if I sent this to the wrong place but I certainly know where to come again if I have any problems!

Spart, he is giving a presentation on King Ptolemy, he called it something else now but I can?t quite remember what, sorry. It?s the one you can write on that was introduced at the last trade show in NY.

Thanks again for all your help!!
  • Reply 5 of 8
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Tuh-ROLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

come on you idiots...puh-leeeeze.

cant' you tell when somebody's pulling your collective chains?

cretins.

D
  • Reply 6 of 8
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    MS Office doesn't need to be reinstalled as it self repairs.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    sizzle chestsizzle chest Posts: 1,133member
    Fished-in! Fished-in!
  • Reply 8 of 8
    jobesjobes Posts: 106member
    paging doctor ghul-e-bhull ... paging doctor ghul-e-bhull

pseudo-female damsels-in-distress trolls .... like it, shows creativity