'Huge' iPhone 6 sales drive iOS to 40% smartphone market share in Australia, US, UK, Japan

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2014
During the last 12 days of Q3 2014, Apple "experienced a huge jump in sales share across almost all major markets thanks to the launch of the iPhone 6," reported Dominic Sunnebo of Kantar Worldpanel, enabling iOS to reach or exceed 40 percent market share in Australia, U.S., UK and Japan.

Select Kantar smartphone market share data Q3 2014

Twelve days of iPhone 6 sales dramatically shifted quarterly market share in Europe

Kantar's estimates of Apple's market share for the quarter increased by 40 percent (5.9 percentage points) over the year ago quarter across the five largest markets in Europe (Britain, Germany, France, Italy and Spain), while Android's share dropped by 2.6 percentage points, Windows Phone lost 1.3 points of share, and "others" lost 2 points.

Apple collectively achieved 20.7 percent smartphone market share in those markets, making the most gains in Great Britain, where iOS reached 39.5 percent of all sales, the highest level Kantar has ever assigned Apple in the U.K. and a 35.7 percent increase (10.4 percentage points) in share over the year ago quarter.

Kantar reported that Apple's retail stores in Great Britain sold 31 percent of new iPhone 6 models and claimed that 86 percent of launch month buyers in that country were upgrading from an older iPhone. The firm also said that 34 percent of iPhone 6 sales in the U.K. were to 16-24 year old buyers, and that 64 percent of early adopters were male.

In France, iOS market share jumped from 12.8 percent in August to 19.6 percent in October, with iPhone 6 gains coming directly out of the hide of Android. In Germany, Apple's smartphone share similarly jumped from 8.9 percent at the beginning of the quarter to 16.9 percent in October, again mostly at the expense of Android.

iPhone 6 drove iOS market share +33% higher in Australia, U.S. in Q3

iPhone 6 sales also helped push Apple's share up in Australia, where Kantar said iOS shifted from 29.3 percent to 40.4 percent share across the three months of the quarter as Android lost the most market share among rival platforms.

In the U.S. Kantar said Apple reached 41.5 percent share, a modest 0.7 percentage point increase over the year ago quarter but a major increase over August, when iOS was reported to have a 30.1 percent share of phone sales. iPhones made up four out of the five best-selling models over the past three months

Compared to the year ago quarter, Windows Phone gave up 1.1 percentage points in the U.S. as Android gained an identical 1.1 points. Blackberry ended up with just 0.3 percent U.S. market share in the quarter.

Kantar said that in the U.S., "iPhones made up four out of the five best-selling models over the past three months."

iPhones 2014

iPhone 6 maintains Apple's share in China as Windows Phone disappears

In China, Kantar reported that Apple similarly increased its smartphone market share in the quarter to 15.7 percent, a 0.2 point increase over the year ago quarter and 1.5 percentage points higher than at the beginning of the quarter.Sales of Windows Phone have virtually evaporated in China

Apple's gains come amid a rapidly growing market where most devices are shipped with a version of Android code (although most shipments in the country do not directly benefit Google). Sales of Windows Phone have virtually evaporated in China, plummeting from 3.5 percent one year ago to 0.5 percent in the September quarter.

Japan loves iPhone the most

In Japan, iOS was said to have lost share in the quarter compared to last year, but IOS retains 48 percent of all smartphone sales, effectively tied in share with all Android offerings combined.

Apple's share of the market in Japan is larger than in any other major market on Earth, a slap in the face at advocacy reporting by Wired and the Wall Street Journal that initially sought to portray the iPhone as fated to be "hated" in Japan.

Over the three months of the quarter, Kantar's figures for iPhone sales share in Japan grew from 27.1 percent in August to 48 percent in September. Market share of Blackberry and Windows Phone in Japan have both fallen below 0.6 percent.

Kantar has issued an interactive web graphic (above) that depicts its market share data in select markets over each month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 89
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Nice results mostly but strange for AI to single out Japan as a success, it seems to me to be the worst case for iOS overall, slipping from 61% to 48%.
  • Reply 2 of 89
    "iPhone 6 sales fall to 40% as Chromebooks overtake them." /s
  • Reply 3 of 89
    Being british, I can see from first hand experience that iOS is very popular. I've seen quite a few 6's in the wild now, too.
  • Reply 4 of 89

Spain being so low is explained by their crappy cell phone service providers and the fact that the country's got what, 40% unemployment?

• Reply 5 of 89
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    How can Apple make up 4 of the top 5 selling phones in the US and only hit 41.5% unit market share? It makes no sense
  • Reply 6 of 89
    Thanks, Dan, for spreading the good news.
  • Reply 7 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Nice results mostly but strange for AI to single out Japan as a success, it seems to me to be the worst case for iOS overall, slipping from 61% to 48%.

Due to the launch of DoCoMo last year and pent up demand.  48% is phenomenal performance 

• Reply 8 of 89
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Spain being so low is explained by their crappy cell phone service providers and the fact that the country's got what, 40% unemployment?

Yes, it's basically because they're poor.

I've seen charts before detailing iOS marketshare, and it's pretty easy to see that in many cases, the poorer the country, the lower the marketshare for iOS.

• Reply 9 of 89
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

Due to the launch of DoCoMo last year and pent up demand.  48% is phenomenal performance 

And it's actually dramatically up for the three months of the quarter. It went from 27.1% to 48%..

• Reply 10 of 89
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Yes, it's basically because they're poor.

I've seen charts before detailing iOS marketshare, and it's pretty easy to see that in many cases, the poorer the country, the lower the marketshare for iOS.

They're poor due to their politics, which is doubly shameful.

• Reply 11 of 89
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

They're poor due to their politics, which is doubly shameful.

No doubt. And that's one reason why I don't really give a crap about many of the poor, as I believe that the majority are in dire straits due to their own choices.

• Reply 12 of 89

Awesome performance.  It will only get better over the next 2 to 4 months as the full impact of iPhone 6/6+ is realized.  And, availability improves 

Achieving a sustainable 25% share in EU5 would be a major win  

So happy to see Windows Mobile die on the vine.   Unprofitable + Declining ASP + Declining Market Share = No Chance.  And, now Nokia is going to compete with them on the device side w/ Android - who at Microsoft cut that FU deal? 

• Reply 13 of 89
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

I wonder if Windows Phone would take market share from Android if it also was free (free for the manufacturers).

• Reply 14 of 89
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I wonder if Windows Phone would take market share from Android if it also was free (free for the manufacturers).

I thought it was free now. Or is that just pure Windows that's free (devices smaller than 8")?

• Reply 15 of 89
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So is this the data Andy Harsgrave (sp) at Pacific Crest used to make his downgrade of AAPL?
  • Reply 16 of 89
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

Awesome performance.  It will only get better over the next 2 to 4 months as the full impact of iPhone 6/6+ is realized.  And, availability improves 

Achieving a sustainable 25% share in EU5 would be a major win  

So happy to see Windows Mobile die on the vine.   Unprofitable + Declining ASP + Declining Market Share = No Chance.  And, now Nokia is going to compete with them on the device side w/ Android - who at Microsoft cut that FU deal? 

I think it's bad that Windows Phone is dying. It's at least a genuine alternative to iOS and not a terrible ripoff of it. Also a stable platform that doesn't steal your personal info. That's the kind of thing Apple people should be encouraging.

• Reply 17 of 89
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRealTom View Post

Being british, I can see from first hand experience that iOS is very popular. I've seen quite a few 6's in the wild now, too

What a very British point of view. From where you are sitting at the top of blighty, you must be able to see very very far and in great detail. Very impressive. Also being British but not living there I heave no such view, though I see that the tech news sites generally seem to agree with you. And I too, have seen many iPhone 6's in the wild. So yeah, IOS is definitely popular.

;)

• Reply 18 of 89
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I’m certain it would; it’s a decent OS.

• Reply 19 of 89
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I think it's bad that Windows Phone is dying. It's at least a genuine alternative to iOS and not a terrible ripoff of it. Also a stable platform that doesn't steal your personal info. That's the kind of thing Apple people should be encouraging.

I think Windows Phone is going to have a second-life now that Ballmer is out of the picture and his replacement is really gung-ho with the mobile initiative.

I actually like the Windows Phone platform.  Windows Phone, like iOS, and WebOS were bonafide OS alternatives, unlike that Android trash.  I would like to see Windows Phone get more traction.  

• Reply 20 of 89
    sflocal wrote: »

I think Windows Phone is going to have a second-life now that Ballmer is out of the picture and his replacement is really gung-ho with the mobile initiative.

I actually like the Windows Phone platform.  Windows Phone, like iOS, and WebOS were bonafide OS alternatives, unlike that Android trash.  I would like to see Windows Phone get more traction.  

I really like WebOS. Had a Palm Pre2 for a few months, enjoyable OS (keyboard gave me hand cramps though, which is why I picked up an iPhone 3 off contract).

I still kinda want a TouchPad.