Apple to host 'Hour of Code' at retail stores worldwide in December

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2014
Apple on Thursday announced that it will collaborate with Seattle-based Code.org for the second year in a row, hosting the Hour of Code --?designed to introduce the basics of computer programming --?and other events at its retail stores.

The events will take place at brick-and-mortar Apple outlets during Computer Science Education Week, which runs from Dec. 8 to Dec. 14. The Hour of Code will take place on Dec. 11, with other workshops scheduled throughout the week.

Apple's Regent Street location in London, for instance, will host a talk from NaturalMotion CEO Torsten Reil on Dec. 9. Reil, whose company produced Clumsy Ninja, will discuss "why he started coding and the thrill of developing next-generation mobile games that wow people with creativity and technology."

Other participants include FitPort developers Hideko Ogawa and Takako Horiuchi in Tokyo, Touchpress cofounder and chief creative officer Theodore Gray in Chicago, and Hopscotch chief Jocelyn Leavitt in New York, among others.

Apple also hosted the Hour of Code at its stores in 2013.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Nice!

On the other hand, I've tried for years to program efficiently and I am an absolute disaster. If I can't solve the problem in years, an hour certainly won't help. ????
  • Reply 2 of 22
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Nice!

On the other hand, I've tried for years to program efficiently and I am an absolute disaster. If I can't solve the problem in years, an hour certainly won't help. ????

Maybe you'll have a coding epiphany if you go. ;)
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Nice!

My problem is that I'm usually too efficient.
  • Reply 4 of 22

My problem is that I'm not a coder.

• Reply 5 of 22
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,694member

My problem is that I hate coding.

• Reply 6 of 22
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    My problem is that I have no pithy reply.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    I love to code, keeps my mind sharp and it's a lot of fun. I'm not really sure what an hour's worth of class can do for someone though. This sounds more like a, look what you can do, than an actual learning experience. Still cool, I wouldn't mind participating. Personally, I never really enjoyed taking classes for programming, they just move to slow for me. I learn by doing, download some code, grab an O'Reilly book and go to town.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member

NICE!

• Reply 9 of 22
    relic wrote: »
    I love to code, keeps my mind sharp and it's a lot of fun. I'm not really sure what an hour's worth of class can do for someone though. This sounds more like a, look what you can do, than an actual learning experience. Still cool, I wouldn't mind participating. Personally, I never really enjoyed taking classes for programming, they just move to slow for me. I learn by doing, download some code, grab an O'Reilly book and go to town.

"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." — William Butler Yeats

edit: Origin is actually unknown and there is no evidence that Yeats made that statement.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." — William Butler Yeats

"Some never learn for lack of combustible material." --- The White Falcon

• Reply 11 of 22
    solipsismy wrote: »

"Some never learn for lack of combustible material." --- The White Falcon

'Tiger, tiger, burning bright'
  • Reply 12 of 22

I can code, I just don’t like it. I much prefer designing UI.

• Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:

"Most quotes on the Internet are misattributed." - Abraham Lincoln

• Reply 14 of 22
    otterfish wrote: »
    solipsismy wrote: »

Very good!

But at least the Internet is an oasis of good gramma and speling, init.
  • Reply 15 of 22

Is my quoted comment misattributed?
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:

Is my quoted comment misattributed?

Unfortunately, yes. While it's a great quote there is no evidence that Yeats ever wrote or said that. Most likely origin of the quote is detailed here: http://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/03/28/mind-fire/

• Reply 17 of 22
    Unfortunately, yes. While it's a great quote there is no evidence that Yeats ever wrote or said that. Most likely origin of the quote is detailed here: http://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/03/28/mind-fire/

Thanks, and bookmarking site.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    "Free curiosity has greater stimulation for learning than rigorous coercion." - St. Augustine
  • Reply 19 of 22
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member

I wish Apple would do this more. A programming class for an hour is to spark interest, not to throw the book at them. This is seriously needed as numbers with prospective engineers is actually dwindling. Many high schools across the country have actually cut down or killed off programming classes. (Ars had a write up about it today). I've witnessed this first hand with some kids I wanted to mentor. Their schools simply don't offer programming classes any more. Two of those high schools I went to and started my programming career in. Sad.

• Reply 20 of 22
    emig647 wrote: »
    I wish Apple would do this more. A programming class for an hour is to spark interest, not to throw the book at them. This is seriously needed as numbers with prospective engineers is actually dwindling. Many high schools across the country have actually cut down or killed off programming classes. (Ars had a write up about it today). I've witnessed this first hand with some kids I wanted to mentor. Their schools simply don't offer programming classes any more. Two of those high schools I went to and started my programming career in. Sad.

To be blunt, few people are capable of programming effectively. Even seasoned programmers are far and few between. It takes a very particular mind. I don't have what it takes and I recognize that fact. Coding gives me a massive headache and I prefer to avoid it at all costs. ????