Maya for dummies

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I personally was in awe when watching the movie "Lord of the Rings" when they travel past those two huge statues of the kings. You know when they are in the canoe. Well anyway those things were created with maya the 3d imaging program. people say maya is to 3d as photoshop is to 2d. anyway I should stop rambling but you can download a trial version of maya that works for about a year and only has some watermarks on it from your idisk. I personally knew nothing about the program but after tinkering a little and downloading a free tutorial from <a href="http://www.thescreensavers.com"; target="_blank">the screen savers</a> I was able to have some fun with the thing. Anyway I just wanted to put that out there and recomend it to anyone who wants some practice or just to have some fun with the thing.

[ 03-21-2002: Message edited by: solo ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    The nice Maya rep spoke with me for a while about this at MWSF in January. I hope other companies follow suit...

For the first time you're allowing someone, particularly students, to get a hold of a piece of software that could cost a semester's tuition (depending where you study). So you could effectively come out of college with hours and hours of experience with a program that can easily net you a high paying job.

Again, I just wish some other companies would do the same... like Discreet. I've got a Silicon Graphics Onyx Infinite Reality just itching for a copy of Flame to play with