Apple Store to restart Bose product sales after abrupt removal, report says

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2014
A fresh rumor on Monday claims Bose products will make a return to Apple's online and brick-and-mortar stores as soon as next week after they were quietly removed from shelves some two months ago.

Online Apple Store search results still list "Bose" products.

Citing sources familiar with the matter, French language publication iGen.fr reports Apple is preparing to restock Bose products ahead of the lucrative holiday shopping season. The report claims some stores have already taken receipt of inventory and will initiate sales next week.

Apple booted Bose devices from its Apple Store outlets without explanation in October, ending sales of one of the store's best-selling brands.

At the time, the move to oust Bose equipment was said to be in response to a lawsuit the audio company leveled against Beats in July. At issue was noise canceling technology patents allegedly infringed by Beats' "Studio" and "Studio Wireless" headphones, which sport "Adaptive Noise Cancellation." The case was later settled out of court under undisclosed terms.

Bose's NFL sponsorship, terms of which prohibit players and coaches from wearing non-Bose headphones on television, was also thought to play a factor in Apple's decision. In October, the NFL fined San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick $10,000 for wearing a pair of pink breast cancer awareness Beats headphones during a post-game press conference.

Apple in May announced it would purchased Beats for $3 billion, assimilating the company's Beats Audio music streaming service and Beats Electronics division, the latter of which produces massively popular headphones and speakers in direct competition with Bose devices.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Things that make you go, "Hmmm." Are they hinting that part of the settlement involved resumption of sales of Bose in exchange for dropping their patent infringement?
  • Reply 2 of 22
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Sounds good to me! The lawsuit is settled, and if people wish to buy Bose in Apple stores, then they will be able to.

Some people like Beats, some people like Bose, and some people like neither. It's good to have choices!

• Reply 3 of 22

FWIW,  just before Thanksgiving in the Chicago Apple Store, I approached a senior employee with questions about purchasing a set of bluetooth headphones. Privately, he told me to go to the Bose Store on Michigan Ave. His opinion of Beats and Parrot Zik weren't very complimentary. After trying both, I had to agree. Like Apple ][ says, it's good to have choices.;)

• Reply 4 of 22

BOSE: Buy Other Sound Equipment.

• Reply 5 of 22
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Sounds good to me! The lawsuit is settled, and if people wish to buy Bose in Apple stores, then they will be able to.

Some people like Beats, some people like Bose, and some people like neither. It's good to have choices!

Apple needs to make room for future Apple products like ?Watch.something will have to go in order for them to do that.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I agree, they sound OK, but not at the price point they advertise at.

• Reply 7 of 22
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    FWIW,  just before Thanksgiving in the Chicago Apple Store, I approached a senior employee with questions about purchasing a set of bluetooth headphones. Privately, he told me to go to the Bose Store on Michigan Ave. His opinion of Beats and Parrot Zik weren't very complimentary. After trying both, I had to agree. Like Apple ][ says, it's good to have choices.;)
    It's like Miracle on 34th street come real!
  • Reply 8 of 22

Indeed.

When it comes to choice, I would say that you're the diversity champion on AI. ????
  • Reply 9 of 22

BOO! Oh shoot. Eureka!
  • Reply 10 of 22
    rogifan wrote: »

Apple needs to make room for future Apple products like ?Watch.something will have to go in order for them to do that.

You're presuming that they won't cancel it before bringing it out. Also, even if it makes it to Apple Stores, they will only need temporary space.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Indeed.

When it comes to choice, I would say that you're the diversity champion on AI. ????

Thanks!

I am just a humble dude who is not afraid to contribute my honest thoughts on a variety of topics.

Diversification of opinion is sorely needed, especially on certain forums, where liberal groupthink, ignorance and intolerance towards knowledge and differing ideas is the norm for many.

• Reply 12 of 22
    You're presuming that they won't cancel it before bringing it out. Also, even if it makes it to Apple Stores, they will only need temporary space.

Is crack legal in The UK now?
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Is crack legal in The UK now?

It has to be legal everywhere... everyone has one!

• Reply 14 of 22
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Well Apple retail is hiring fashion/luxury experts. I doubt Angela Ahrendts is hiring them to sell iPhones. ;)

http://tinyurl.com/osyuh2w
  • Reply 15 of 22
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I do not know about Beats products but Bose products are lousy.

• Reply 16 of 22
    marvfox wrote: »
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/183793/apple-store-to-restart-bose-product-sales-after-abrupt-removal-report-says#post_2649311"]

I do not know about Beats products but Bose products are lousy.

All recorded sound is lossy to some extent.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,712member

I chuckled at that.

OT kind of but about small speaker systems all the same ... great holiday gift item!

I've always been a Hi-Fi snob and admit it. I used to own an 8-Track recording studio on the side and record bands and got into all the hi tech audio gear for home listening. I still have massive reference monitors from Nightigale and Quad amp etc.. I always smirk at the likes of Bose et al BUT ... my hearing 'ain't' what it used to be in terms of frequency I have to admit and while i love my Hi-Fi my TV system sucked. I miss 10% of the speech at least. Yesterday I took a risk on a product I had read won an award at CES, the VIZIO S3851w-D4 38" 5.1 Channel Sound Bar with Wireless Subwoofer & Rear Satellite Speakers. Once the EQ and balance was all set up for our room all I can say id 'Bloody Hell!' The sound is absolutely amazing and the surround sound is the most realistic I have ever heard all with no wires front to back!

TV use is amazing and movies are astounding but best of all, running optical from my Apple TV my music sounds like I am there with the band live... I sat up half the night with a bottle of Scotch listening to Queen, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin!

Apple should have something like this for the Apple TV or buy Vizio!
  • Reply 18 of 22
    So they should also start selling Samsung phones and Windows PCs too? This sounds ridiculous to me. Now that Apple makes headphones they should only carry their own. Bose can sell their headphones elsewhere.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    esoomesoom Posts: 155member

I have to admit, the Bose Soundlink Mini is a pretty good speaker, I've bought several, and give them as gifts.

• Reply 20 of 22

I'd wager that someone ran the numbers and concluded that it makes more sense to sell Bose than to not sell Bose.  Both for the money and for the "customer sat".

After all, Apple is in the business of both making money and having satisfied customers.