Apple releases iOS 8.1.2 with fixes for missing iTunes ringtones

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2014
Apple on Tuesday released iOS 8.1.2, the latest version of the company's mobile operating system for its iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad devices that fixes a number of bugs, including one that could have caused users to lose ringtones purchased from iTunes.

Alongside the update, Apple released a web-based tool that would restore purchased ringtones when visited from an up-to-date iOS device. Visiting the tool URL with a device running iOS 8.1.1 or earlier prompts users to update before continuing.

Apple was mum on what other specific changes are included in the 8.1.2 update, saying only that it contains "bug fixes." At press time, Apple's security update listing had yet to be updated, so the update's security content is also unknown.

Tuesday's update comes less than one month after the release of iOS 8.1.1. That update brought with it performance improvements for users of older iOS devices like the iPad 2 and iPone 4s.

iOS 8.1.2 is available now as a free, over-the-air update through Software Update.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 80
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member

Okay, who amongst you will volunteer to be the guinea pig? Count me out!

:D 

• Reply 2 of 80
    History suggest iOS 8 will be most stable on the eve of iOS 9's release. Summer 2015.
  • Reply 3 of 80
    Then the cycle of quality begins again.
  • Reply 4 of 80
    One thing I'd like to see implemented: Block ads that hijack web pages in Safari for iOS and immediately send the user to the App Store. This happens all the time on regular web sites (not warez, or whatever people call it these days).
  • Reply 5 of 80
    Not missing any ringtones so I'll be waiting a bit before updating.
  • Reply 6 of 80

[duplicate]

• Reply 7 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

One thing I'd like to see implemented: Block ads that hijack web pages in Safari for iOS and immediately send the user to the App Store. This happens all the time on regular web sites.

+10000

• Reply 8 of 80

I have updated my iPad Air 2, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini and iPhone 5 so far with no problems.  Other updates to follow when equipment  becomes available.

• Reply 9 of 80
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member

Do you have an iPone 4s? The article mentions it.

• Reply 10 of 80

There has to be more than just an update to fix missing ringtones since I am getting an update notice on my WiFi iPad Mini Retina that doesn't do a lot of ringing :D

• Reply 11 of 80
    mpantone wrote: »
    Okay, who amongst you will volunteer to be the guinea pig? Count me out!

:D  
    Updating my 5S with 8.1.2 now via iTunes, will let the folks know how it goes!
  • Reply 12 of 80
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    One thing I'd like to see implemented: Block ads that hijack web pages in Safari for iOS and immediately send the user to the App Store. This happens all the time on regular web sites (not warez, or whatever people call it these days).

Absolutely! I really dislike that MacDailyNews has thise.
  • Reply 13 of 80

Yeah, it would be sufficient to simply allow sites to open only third party software, and block websites from launching the App Store app, which is usually the destination of web ads employing this kind of script.

I saw one of the aggressively advertised "freemium" games launch the iOS App Store app to its page while browsing AppleInsider on my iPad. It was the one with Kate Upton.

EDIT: I'm not the only one who noticed this:
    http://techcrunch.com/2014/01/06/shady-app-install-ads-are-automatically-redirecting-mobile-users-to-app-store-google-play/

I think Apple should block any app that is caught doing this, but it would be better if Apple simply blocked the API calls to launch the App Store app from web scripts.
  • Reply 14 of 80
    This is all nice and dandy... BUT PLEASE FIX THE WIFI ISSUE ON OS X
  • Reply 15 of 80
    Yeah, it would be sufficient to simply allow sites to open only third party software, and block websites from launching the App Store app, which is usually the destination of web ads employing this kind of script.

I saw one of the aggressively advertised "freemium" games launch the iOS App Store app to its page while browsing AppleInsider on my iPad. It was the one with Kate Upton.

It happens so often now, even on news sites, I'll immediately double-tap the home button and quit the App Store before I can even see whose doing this. Irritates the heck out of me.
  • Reply 16 of 80
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    FINALLY they fixed the Select Copy Paste issue on my iPhone. So, going to update my iPads now as well.
  • Reply 17 of 80

I'm going in boys...wish me luck!

• Reply 18 of 80
    philboogie wrote: »
    FINALLY they fixed the Select Copy Paste issue on my iPhone. So, going to update my iPads now as well.

How is it improved?
  • Reply 19 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

History suggest iOS 8 will be most stable on the eve of iOS 9's release. Summer 2015.

iOS 7.1.2 was the least stable of all of them for me, lol.

• Reply 20 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I also want AdBlock for Safari. Especially any video content.