Apple releases Safari 8.0.2 to fix issues related to iCloud Drive & Keychain

Posted:
in Mac Software edited December 2014
Apple on Thursday issued a minor update for its Safari Web browser for OS X, fixing issues related to syncing history across devices, as well as saving passwords in iCloud Keychain.

Safari 8.0.2 for OS X Yosemite is now available to download through the Mac App Store. According to Apple, the update contains improvements to usability, stability and security. Specifically, the update:
  • Fixes an issue that could prevent history from syncing across devices if iCloud Drive is not on
  • Fixes an issue that could prevent a saved password from being autofilled after two devices are added to iCloud Keychain
  • Improves the performance of WebGL graphics on Retina displays
  • Allows users to import usernames and passwords from Firefox
  • Fixes a rare issue in which some users were unable to access Safari after installing the 8.0.1 update
Safari 8.0.1 was released to the public last week, but was silently pulled. The previous update was also said to fix the same iCloud-related issues.

In addition, Safari 7.1.2 for users on OS X 10.9 Mavericks and Safari 6.2.2 for OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion were also released on Thursday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Hopefully this fixes Safari syncing, since it has been off since 8.0.1 slipped its way onto my laptop.

Of course, Notes is still hopelessly broken for whatever nonsensical reason.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member

Are you using iCloud for Notes?

Notes works fine for me, but I use Yahoo for the Mail and Notes services, not iCloud.

• Reply 3 of 15
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hopefully this fixes Safari syncing, since it has been off since 8.0.1 slipped its way onto my laptop.

Notes? What's your problem? Seems fine for me.

• Reply 4 of 15
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Dunno. Updates don’t always sync between my desktop and laptop, and notes duplicate themselves on my iPhone.

• Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:

Dunno. Updates don’t always sync between my desktop and laptop, and notes duplicate themselves on my iPhone.

That's odd. I only have one Mac. iPad and iPhone seem to sync fine, though. When I edit/create on iOS, I always make sure to hide the keyboard in order to force sync.

• Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:

I have had some odd behavior with notes as well.

• Reply 7 of 15
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I didn't know anyone actually used iCloud Keychain....
  • Reply 8 of 15
    macxpress wrote: »
    I didn't know anyone actually used iCloud Keychain....

You do now.

I've used it for years. Why would one not? It's incredibly useful for storing all one's passwords seamlessly synced across all one's devices.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:

You do now.

I've used it for years. Why would one not? It's incredibly useful for storing all one's passwords seamlessly synced across all one's devices.

Because 1Password is 50x better... iCloud Keychain is fine until you're off Apple's stuff whether is a different browser, or a PC, etc...then you're screwed!

Its also not compatible with all websites...believe I've tried it before. I've ran into more than a few (don't ask which ones!) that didn't support it, or it wouldn't prompt to autofill the password. I also don't want anything stored at Apple as much as I trust them. 

• Reply 10 of 15
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

...until youre off Apples stuff...

Still not seeing a problem here. ;)

• Reply 11 of 15
    macxpress wrote: »
    You do now.

Because 1Password is 50x better... iCloud Keychain is fine until you're off Apple's stuff whether is a different browser, or a PC, etc...then you're screwed!

I never am, so it's not a problem.

Needless to say, neither is it a problem for any right-thinking person.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:

Still not seeing a problem here. ;)

Quote:

I never am, so it's not a problem.

Needless to say, neither is it a problem for any right-thinking person.

Fair enough...it just doesn't suit everyone's needs for the reasons stated in my reply because its Apple only. There are times when you're not able to use a Mac, or Safari doesn't work with a particular website or whatever. I happen to need to use multiple platforms a day so it just doesn't suit my needs and nobody I know uses it either for the same reasons. 

I also don't want my stuff on Apple's servers....I'd rather it be on my stuff. 

• Reply 13 of 15
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Interesting.

I installed 8.0.1 when it came out and got a big fat question mark in the dock afterwards which I ended up addressing by re-installing Yosemite. I thought I had just got unlucky and got a corrupted download.

I've also seen some unusual Notes activity, although mainly in the form still seeing Notes on my Mac that I previously deleted on my iOS devices. Nothing too serious.

I must admit that Apple was a bit rough when they first clambered onto this bucking bronco called The Cloud but they have improved dramatically over the past couple of years.

I only expect them to get better.

• Reply 14 of 15
    for me pretty much all worked well, the only thing is that since I've updated to yosemite i can't send mail, can't even change setting manually since its not accepting the changes, my wife purchased a new macbook, updated to yosemite and same problem
  • Reply 15 of 15

Seems to be working well here. Thankfully, the 8.0.1 update was pulled before I installed it on anything.