Apple says 'dozens' of banks and stores signed up for Apple Pay in recent weeks

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2015
Apple on Tuesday issued a statement to bring attention to the dozens of companies that threw support behind Apple Pay over the past few weeks, including the addition of ten new banks and an NBA arena.

As reported by The New York Times, Apple offered a brief rundown of the latest card issuing banks to adopt Apple Pay, saying that ten new institutions -- Associated Bank, BB&T, Black Hills FCU, Commerce Bank, Dupaco Community Credit Union, Idaho Central Credit Union, First Tennessee Bank, TD Bank North America, WesBanco and UW Credit Union -- will be officially integrated with the service starting today.

Some of the banks mentioned, including Commerce Bank and UW CU, were already announced in recent updates to Apple's rolling list of participating issuers. Other recent additions from November include Barclaycard, USAA, while Fremont Bank and NIH Federal Credit Union announced support last week.

The publication also said Amway Center, which plays host to NBA basketball team the Orlando Magic, will debut touchless Apple Pay point-of-sale terminals on Friday. According to Sports Business Daily, The Magic partnered with Levy Restaurants and Chase to bring 60 initial POS locations at concession stands and merchandise shops, a number expected to hit 200 when the season starts next year.

"One of the biggest pieces of feedback we get from our fans is that the food and beverage lines are too long," Orlando Magic CEO Alex Martins told The Times. "It keeps them from going to the concession stand because they don't want to miss the action. This, and technologies like Apple Pay, will speed up our service."

While Apple has yet to release official Apple Pay performance numbers, CEO Tim Cook said in October that the service registered more than one million cards in its first 72 hours of operation.

A separate litmus test conducted by last month showed Apple's mobile payments gamble was off to a good start at participating retailers, with Apple's iPhone 6 and 6 Plus feature accounting for one percent of all transactions at grocer Whole Foods. Fast food giant McDonald's said Apple Pay accounted for half of its touchless transactions, while Walgreens saw digital wallet transactions double since Apple Pay launched with iOS 8.1 in October.

In addition, Square recently announced plans to bring Apple Pay to small businesses with NFC-enabled hardware coming out next year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 85
    A thing of beauty.
    I can't wait for when Apple finally does release the numbers on ApplePay.
  • Reply 2 of 85
    When's it coming to the UK?
  • Reply 3 of 85
    I counted 23 banks on the Apple Pay page on Apple's website. There's only about 6,000 more to go! :D

Seriously though... in October Tim Cook said 500 banks have signed on to Apple Pay. When will [I]those[/I] be in effect?

I realize this is a huge, unprecedented effort... and probably the only major deal between a consumer electronics company and the banking system.

I'm just wondering when we will see some huge adoption numbers. They seem to be trickling out a few at a time. At the rate of 23 banks in 2 months... it will take YEARS to get those 500 banks activated.

I'm hoping there will be a big announcement soon saying 200-300 banks are ready to go. But I don't want them to rush and get sloppy :)
  • Reply 4 of 85
    Hello from Canada. Tim, can you kick the Apple Canada exec's into action at all?
  • Reply 5 of 85
    Hello from Canada. Tim, can you kick the Apple Canada exec's into action at all?

Apple might consider skipping Canada until that government's farce anti-competitive investigation is resolved.
  • Reply 6 of 85
    Yes, skip Canada, and the UK, and launch in Australia next. Only four banks to deal with and NFC machines in almost every store already.
  • Reply 7 of 85
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I see the meme now is that ?Pay won't work because Apple is using one way technology that doesn't allow retailers to push (aka spam) customers with ads and coupons. Shame on Apple for for focusing on great consumer UX above all else. What's really pathetic is ?Pay has only been around for a couple months and it's already being written off. Anybody with half a brain would know stuff like this takes time to roll out and gain adoption. It doesn't happen overnight.

http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/2014/12/16/apple-may-have-picked-on-the-wrong-people/20469983/
  • Reply 8 of 85
    mvigodmvigod Posts: 172member

I don't understand how this will speed up the lines at the concession stands unless people who were using cash before now use apple pay.  Credit cards are the same exact speed experience as using Apple Pay.  I've used both.  The only thing that is slower is cash but one has to believe that somebody that was using cash before probably still is.

• Reply 9 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mvigod View Post

I don't understand how this will speed up the lines at the concession stands unless people who were using cash before now use apple pay.  Credit cards are the same exact speed experience as using Apple Pay.  

Credit cards are as fast (maybe faster) if they have PayPass/payWave. If you have to swipe AND SIGN then they're a lot slower.

• Reply 10 of 85
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I see the meme now is that ?Pay won't work because Apple is using one way technology that doesn't allow retailers to push (aka spam) customers with ads and coupons. Shame on Apple for for focusing on great consumer UX above all else. What's really pathetic is ?Pay has only been around for a couple months and it's already being written off. Anybody with half a brain would know stuff like this takes time to roll out and gain adoption. It doesn't happen overnight.

http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/2014/12/16/apple-may-have-picked-on-the-wrong-people/20469983/

They just don't get it. Apple is not picking ON anyone. Instead, they "picked" the end user consumer to cater to.  I moved all my prescriptions to Walgreens even though CVS and my favorite pharmacist is much closer (I made sure she knew why I was leaving).  I no longer go to Lowes, instead I drive an extra mile or so to get to Home Depot.  We changed from Pet Smart to Petco for our cat supplies.  I find myself grabbing lunch far more often at Panera or Subway, rather than Chipotle.  I go much farther to get to a Meijer store and try to avoid Target and Wal-Mart (you can also buy gasoline with Apple Pay at most Meijer stores).

A couple of things puzzle me yet though. So far I have only seen "We now accept ApplePay" signs at Panera Bread.  I would think that would/could be a decent draw.  I also don't understand the possible workflow at a higher end sit down restaurant. Wireless POS of some kind?  That seems cumbersome to me, since the customer has to TouchID authenticate the transaction. 

Merchants are not in control of anything. Consumers are. Apple picked the right side of this contest to be on, IMO. 

Apple hit it out of the park with ApplePay, and TouchID. No other device manufacturer has anything half close to the reliability and ease of use of TouchID.  Somebody else will eventually, I am sure.  In the meantime though, I will be very happy to retire on my AAPL, since for now, they are the only game in town.

• Reply 11 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DCGOO View Post

They just don't get it. Apple is not picking ON anyone. Instead, they "picked" the end user consumer to cater to.  I moved all my prescriptions to Walgreens even though CVS and my favorite pharmacist is much closer (I made sure she knew why I was leaving).  I no longer go to Lowes, instead I drive an extra mile or so to get to Home Depot.  We changed from Pet Smart to Petco for our cat supplies.  I find myself grabbing lunch far more often at Panera or Subway, rather than Chipotle.  I go much farther to get to a Meijer store and try to avoid Target and Wal-Mart (you can also buy gasoline with Apple Pay at most Meijer stores).

A couple of things puzzle me yet though. So far I have only seen "We now accept ApplePay" signs at Panera Bread.  I would think that would/could be a decent draw.  I also don't understand the possible workflow at a higher end sit down restaurant. Wireless POS of some kind?  That seems cumbersome to me, since the customer has to TouchID authenticate the transaction. 

Merchants are not in control of anything. Consumers are. Apple picked the right side of this contest to be on, IMO. 

Apple hit it out of the park with ApplePay, and TouchID. No other device manufacturer has anything half close to the reliability and ease of use of TouchID.  Somebody else will eventually, I am sure.  In the meantime though, I will be very happy to retire on my AAPL, since for now, they are the only game in town.

It's not a matter of "they just don't get it". Quite the contrary. They get it, and they're scrambling to somehow protect vested interests. You're looking at a concerted, desperate, and covert FUD campaign against Apple.

• Reply 12 of 85
    Pleasant surprise when we made our weekly grocery run, Saturday. SPROUTS chain has their new chip-and-pin/NFC-enabled machines in place - and APPLE PAY.

Now, we only need TRADER JOE's to roll out.
  • Reply 13 of 85
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    rogifan wrote: »

You could almost taste the fear in that article. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 14 of 85
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    When's it coming to the UK?

For a lark, I tried to use it in Waitrose. My phone was instantly recognised but returned an error for the payment. It's all there - someone just needs to press the switch.
    C'mon Apple...just do it!
  • Reply 15 of 85
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Still waiting. The only card I have that works with ?Pay is a Chase Freedom Visa. My branded GM Mastercard is not supported nor is my local bank’s Visa debit card. But I will be patient.

• Reply 16 of 85
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCGOO View Post

Does your Home Depot accept ApplePay? Mine says it hasn't been configured yet. Glad you're changing to Petco regardless of ApplePay. PetSmart isn't as ethical a store. I haven't been able to find a store to use it at yet but I live in a small town and even the Wells Fargo bank said they didn't think it would be available in a small town. Typical small town mentality. The town I live in has plenty of retirees with money. I see lots of them with iPhone6's already.

As for Walmart, I've boycotted that store for years.

• Reply 17 of 85
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    rogifan wrote: »

Agreed, Some buffoons like Richard Crone cited in your link are trying to write ?Pay off, but they're no more than a fart in a windstorm. This latest USA Today article gives the impression that he's directly connected with UBS. He's not. He's a consultant on payment systems that the UBS report apparently cited. Crone is also a jackass, akin to the guy in early 2010 when Apple first put its tablets on sale, who wrote an article titled "Why the iPad Will Flop." It's consumer demand and user satisfaction that ruled with the iPad, and it's the same with ?Pay.

There are four U.S. banks with assets in the trillions, and all have adopted and are marketing ?Pay to their cardholders. The next 11 "second tier" banks (assets ranging between $100 and $400 billion) are coming aboard quickly. Here's an earlier USA Today story that has a lot better grip on reality than today's. Consumers rule.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2014/11/02/mobile-payments-apple-pay-versus-mcx/18261953/
  • Reply 18 of 85

I forgot my wallet last week when I went out to do my shopping, but I never forget my iPhone. Walgreens, Foods Whole and Radio Shack all had Apple Pay so there was no reason to return home for my credit card. Nice.

• Reply 19 of 85
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Is it more an issue of retailers or banks that need to get on board?

It's all fine that your bank accepts this type of payment, but it makes no difference if there are no retailers implementing it.
  • Reply 20 of 85
    mvigod wrote: »
    I don't understand how this will speed up the lines at the concession stands unless people who were using cash before now use apple pay.  Credit cards are the same exact speed experience as using Apple Pay.  I've used both.  The only thing that is slower is cash but one has to believe that somebody that was using cash before probably still is.

Multiple ways to speed up a payment.

Phone more likely in hand than a wallet that often requires the person to get it out of their pocket, open it up, and select a card to swipe, then put away afterward.
    If you're talking about security people may choose to leave a Debit/CC at home and only bring cash. ?Pay would be faster, except perhaps in situations of a single bill of exact change.

On top of that, the increase in speed and security help encourage more transactions and faster lines.