Orlando Magic are first NBA team to support Apple Pay for in-arena purchases

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2014
The Amway Center, home of the Orlando Magic of the National Basketball Association, will become the league's first team to offer fans the ability to complete transactions with Apple Pay on the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, as well as the Apple Watch early next year.

Apple Pay will debut at the Amway Center this Friday, when the Magic host the Utah Jazz. The launch of Apple Pay is a collaboration between the Magic, Chase bank, and Levy Restaurants' E15 Group.

"The Magic are committed to our fans and their experience and are continually looking for ways to innovate in order to make that experience legendary," said Magic CEO Alex Martins. "We are thrilled to join our partners Chase and Levy Restaurants to be the first NBA team to integrate Apple Pay into its home venue and specifically the Amway Center, the most technologically advanced arena in North America."

Several Levy concession and Magic retail locations throughout the Amway Center will support Apple Pay, and additional locations are planned to be added as the NBA season carries on. And fans who use their Chase Card with Apple Pay will have the opportunity to receive special offers and win Magic prizes.

In a press release issued on Wednesday, the Magic touted the security and privacy of Apple Pay, noting that actual credit card numbers are not stored on the device or on Apple's servers. Apple instead uses a method known as tokenization, which authorizes the transaction without actually providing a user's credit card number.

The Amway Center also supports Apple's iBeacons technology for iPhone users. iBeacons have been installed throughout the arena, giving users instant communications and updates.

Beyond Apple, the Magic also support Google Glass to enhance the fan experience. The team's website has also been revamped to take advantage of mobile and tablet browsers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I used ApplePay two weeks ago at the Barclays Center during a Brooklyn Nets game...
  • Reply 2 of 36
    Originally Posted by EmAn View Post

I used ApplePay two weeks ago at the Barclays Center during a Brooklyn Nets game...

MEET THE NETS,

MEET THE NETS,

Step right up and greet the Nets!

Bring your tablet,

bring your phone;

Guaranteed to pay with your bone! … the… the one in your finger… rather, the skin on top of it…

• Reply 3 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

MEET THE NETS,

MEET THE NETS,

Step right up and greet the Nets!

Bring your tablet,

bring your phone;

Guaranteed to pay with your bone! … the… the one in your finger… rather, the skin on top of it…

I think you switched a letter.

• Reply 4 of 36
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I think you switched a letter.

Oh, right; my mistake.

BEET THE NETS,

BEET THE NETS,

Step right up and eat the Nets!

Bring your tubers,

bring your roots;

Guaranteed to stew in your boots!

• Reply 5 of 36

I bet LA Clippers will never accept Apple Pay :)  Ballmer will have to wait for some half-assed solution from Microsoft coming in Windows 12.

• Reply 6 of 36

Apple Pay now accepted at the Amway Centre......now go tell two friends and tell those two friends to tell two friends and tell.....

</dream stealer>

• Reply 7 of 36
    jason98 wrote: »
    I bet LA Clippers will never accept Apple Pay :)  Ballmer will have to wait for some half-assed solution from Microsoft coming in Windows 12.

I don't think Ballmer owns the venue, just the team.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

"In a press release issued on Wednesday, the Magic touted the security and privacy of Apple Pay, noting that actual credit card numbers are not stored on the device or on Apple's servers. Apple instead uses a method known as tokenization, which authorizes the transaction without actually providing a user's credit card number."

That's the critical point for me: with the various security issues that have come up, from card skimming to data breaches where I get sent a replacement card out of the blue I'm certainly ready to make a switch to a secure system, cash works for that but it's more cumbersome, though I have gone in that direction at locations that have had breaches such as my grocery chain and Home Depot..

• Reply 9 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EmAn View Post

Did they have signs about ApplePay being acceptable or did it just work with the hardware they happened to have ?(say you just spotted the NFC logo on the terminal  and decided to give it a try)?

• Reply 10 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I don't think it makes any difference in terms of them accepting Apple Pay.

• Reply 11 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadmatic View Post

I don't think it makes any difference in terms of them accepting Apple Pay.

If he owned the venue management company he'd have input into what services they provided. Some places that's the team, at least in baseball IIRC, other's it's a separate entity such as the municipality that built it.

ETA: And it's not, the management is shared, logical as it's used by a lot of teams.

Google:

"

Staples Center is a large multi-purpose sports arena in Downtown Los Angeles....

It is owned and operated by the L.A. Arena Company and Anschutz Entertainment Group." AEG is big, even operating concessions in some large national parks such as the Grand Canyon and Yellowstone (as XANTERRA)

So as an important meant he'd have input but not a final say.

• Reply 12 of 36
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

That's the critical point for me: with the various security issues that have come up, from card skimming to data breaches where I get sent a replacement card out of the blue I'm certainly ready to make a switch to a secure system, cash works for that but it's more cumbersome, though I have gone in that direction at locations that have had breaches such as my grocery chain and Home Depot..

Home Depot accepts ApplePay. Has from Day 1.

• Reply 13 of 36
    I could care less about the NBA
  • Reply 14 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

Just how much less could you care?

• Reply 15 of 36
    Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Just how much less could you care?

• Reply 16 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

He does not. The Los Angeles Lakers play in the same arena, Ballmer has no control over the arena. If that was the case he'd have to own the Lakers and all the other events there (circus, X-Games, whatever). So, if the Staple Center decides on Apple Pay, Ballmer will just have to accept and grumble in his office.

• Reply 17 of 36
    Is there anyone that thinks that nascent NFC-based system only a few months on the market isn't going to be the [I]de facto[/I] standard for how all NFC-based transactions are made between you, the retailer and your bank? If so, why?
  • Reply 18 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not at all TS. Since 2008 I could give a flying **** about the NBA & haven't watched one game or supported them in any way shape or form.

• Reply 19 of 36

Not at all TS. Since 2008 I could give a flying **** about the NBA & haven't watched one game or supported them in any way shape or form.

Giving a flying **** means you care a little bit? Most wold say that giving a flying **** implies that you could NOT care.
  • Reply 20 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Giving a flying **** means you care a little bit? Most wold say that giving a flying **** implies that you could NOT care.

Not according to TS's post. At least that's what I got from the pictures posted.