iPhone 6 and 6 Plus ship times drop to one day, Retina 5K iMac back in stock

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2014
Apple appears to be catching up with demand for its latest devices as the Online Apple Store on Thursday shows one-day ship times for most iPhone 6 Plus storage configurations, 1 to 3 days for iPhone 6 and immediate availability for the Retina 5K iMac.

Apple's online storefront has been updated to reflect iPhone 6 Plus shipping estimates of one day for 16GB and 64GB models in all three colors and major U.S. wireless carriers AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile. Ship-by times for iPhone 6 models in the same capacities also dropped to 1 to 3 days.

Availability of higher capacity 128GB versions also improved for the iPhone 6 Plus, which now stands at 3 to 5 business days. The 128GB iPhone 6, however, is still showing 7 to 10 days for all color options.

In addition to increased online supply, many brick-and-mortar Apple Stores are offering same-day in-store pickup for a majority of both iPhone 6 and 6 Plus models, even 128GB configurations. Users can check stock at nearby outlets through the Online Apple Store.

Interestingly, iPhone 6 and 6 Plus availability flip-flopped compared to supply checks earlier this month that saw much slower ship times for Apple's large-format device. Analysts initially attributed slower lead times on pent up demand for an Apple phablet, but a report in November revealed iPhone 6 sell through outpaced that of its larger sibling three-to-one.

Apple has been making steady progress in meeting iPhone demand since it quickly burned through initial supply shortly after launch. Prior to today, the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus was most impacted by low yields and high demand.

As for Apple's new Retina 5K iMac, shipping estimates have dropped from 1 to 2 weeks seen earlier this month to "In Stock" status for base configurations. Custom orders with CPU, memory, storage and graphics card upgrades can delay ship-by times up to 2 to 4 business days, but the change in availability suggests Apple has all but caught up with demand.

Those looking for fast delivery on select custom configurations, including iMac + AppleCare deals, can check out AppleInsider's Price Guides, a portion of which is included below.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    That's great about the iMac 5K. It may mean they have solved the problem of how to mass produce hires 27" screens which is an advance for technology in general. Maybe big hires screens will spread to the rest of the industry now.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

weak demand

/s

?Don't think that somebody won't actually try and spin that.

They do it every time. And they never (ever) learn.

• Reply 3 of 15
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

That's great about the iMac 5K. It may mean they have solved the problem of how to mass produce hires 27" screens which is an advance for technology in general. Maybe big hires screens will spread to the rest of the industry now.

Yeah. I've been thinking maybe they wanted to start with the iMac to get it out for the holiday season, and then when they're able to increase production they will most likely come out with a stand-alone 5k display for the so-called pro market as well. I've been wanting to get a new Mac Pro, but I figured I'd wait until they come out with an upgraded display, since it seems imminent and overdue.

• Reply 4 of 15
    retrogusto wrote: »
    Yeah. I've been thinking maybe they wanted to start with the iMac to get it out for the holiday season, and then when they're able to increase production they will most likely come out with a stand-alone 5k display for the so-called pro market as well. I've been wanting to get a new Mac Pro, but I figured I'd wait until they come out with an upgraded display, since it seems imminent and overdue.

My guess is the stand-alone Apple 5K Display won't Arrive until the Mac Pro, at least, starts shipping with TB3 so it can push enough pixels over DP1.3 without having to use two TB2 ports over 2 different controllers.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:

weak demand

/s

Damned. I actually logged in just to make this particular jibe ^^

• Reply 6 of 15
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I really hope they tweak the design on the back for the 'S' version. I think it would encourage more people to upgrade because they wouldn't be able to pass the older model off as the latest version:

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/53483/width/800/height/1000[/IMG]

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/53485/width/800/height/1000[/IMG]
  • Reply 7 of 15
    blazarblazar Posts: 270member
    Got a 6, 6+, and 5k imac this year. All great products.

This year's iphone screens scratch too easily and I would trade thinness for more battery but otherwise a very nice device.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

I finally figured out what the S in iPhone 6S stands for: Suck it Samsung

• Reply 9 of 15

It seems ship times are dropping retroactively too. My Plus shipped from China on Wednesday with an estimated delivery of the 23rd or 24th, but the tracking info now shows "UPS proactive intercept" and delivery rescheduled to tomorrow, the 20th! Apparently Apple is serious about that expedited shipping, haha~

• Reply 10 of 15
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    Quote:

weak demand

/s

I love mine.

• Reply 11 of 15
    Thats bullshit my iPhone 6 plus 64 bit gold still hasn't came in at tmobile stores an I ordered it thanksgiving only thing came in was 16 bit gold now I'm stuck with this????
  • Reply 12 of 15
    6 is awful. My friend has one and he doesn't like it
    Ace Gangster
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

My guess is the stand-alone Apple 5K Display won't Arrive until the Mac Pro, at least, starts shipping with TB3 so it can push enough pixels over DP1.3 without having to use two TB2 ports over 2 different controllers.

This is the foremost question on my mind right now. When is the next Mac Pro going to release? When will the next generation of Xeon chips release? When will TB3 come out? 

Apple resellers have stopped selling BTO options here in India due to some Customs issues, which means that I have no option of getting an i7 based desktop - never mind my dream souped up 5K iMac.

I have started considering the Mac Pro but given that it has been over a year since the model released, I am expecting a new model soon. And I want to wait and see how that pans out.

A 5K Thunderbolt Display would be extra gravy, but given that the Mac Pro currently cannot power the display, I think I am still a generation away from getting the machine I want.

• Reply 14 of 15
    A 5K Thunderbolt Display would be extra gravy, but given that the Mac Pro currently cannot power the display, I think I am still a generation away from getting the machine I want.

You'd have to check the reviews, but there are 5K displays that use 2xTB2/DP1.2(?) ports that should work with the Mac Pro if you plug them into different controllers.