Apple, Beats top other brands among college students in laptops, phones, tablets and headphones

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2014
A survey of 880 college students conducted last week by Chegg found 51 percent named Apple as their preferred smartphone, tablet and laptop brand while 46 percent named Beats as their top pick for headphones.

Chegg

The firm reported that 83 percent of college students surveyed named cash or a gift card as their most desired gift, followed by clothing at 73 percent and electronics at 52 percent.

Broken down by gender, 83 percent of females said they preferred cash or gift cards, while only 79 percent of males did. Men listed electronics as their second favorite at 67 percent (versus 61 percent naming clothing), while women overwhelmingly preferred clothing over electronic gear (79 percent to 44 percent).

Among electronics, Apple beat out other smartphones by a huge margin, with Samsung being the only other brand to earn greater than 9 percent share; 44 percent of men and 57 percent of women wanted an Apple-branded phone, while just 30 percent of men and 29 percent of women named Samsung.

Among laptops, Apple was named by 37 percent of men and 43 percent of women, while second place HP only found support from 10 percent of men and 20 percent of women.

In tablets, Apple's iPad similarly beat out Microsoft's Surface and Samsung's Android tabs, with 41 percent of men and 47 percent of women naming Apple, while just 24 percent of men and 22 percent of women named Microsoft, and just 12 percent of men and 22 percent of women naming Samsung.

In headphones, Apple's recently acquired Beats was named by 46 percent of all students as their preferred headphone, with 33 percent of men and 55 percent of women favoring the brand. Bose came in second place with 24 percent of the overall student population.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Are these these the same 'struggling' college students that claim that their fees are too high?

• Reply 2 of 20
    Doomed ! Apple is Doomed - Switch to surface :P
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Look over all the numbers and you can see that women, by far, are the smarter shoppers when it comes to Apple vs. crap or any kind. They don't let Microsoft or Samsung blow air up their skirts.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

Are these these the same 'struggling' college students that claim that their fees are too high?

If the majority are asking for cash, gift cards or clothing, then I'd guess yeah, and they're pretty practical at that.

• Reply 5 of 20
    hentaiboy wrote: »

This pole doesn't mean they can afford Apple, it's only is what they would prefer to have if they could, or if their parents could buy it. College is hard, economically and academically. Apple is seen as the product that will smooth out the bumps and give them a more satisfactory experience. Not to mention, peer pressure to be "with it."
  • Reply 6 of 20
    I recently bought 2 pairs of ear buds and a pair of over the ear headphones and did a fair bit of research. It seems Beats, although popular, are not great quality and overpriced. I ended up with a pair of gayer dynamic buds for my son, RHA's for my self and a pair of Sony MDR7506 over the ear professional headphones for my self. The RHA's were bought from Apple. I also just replaced my iPhone 5 with a 6 plus and am loving it!
  • Reply 7 of 20
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,090member

but..but..but... young people think Apple is "uncool".  Apple isn't hip anymore.

Says all the fandroids and analysts... meaning, no one of any importance.

• Reply 8 of 20
    Quote:

I don't know about their fees, but these college students sound pretty smart.  They want durable, quality products that offer superior value for money.  But I'm sure there are employers somewhere who would prefer to hire a college graduate who aspires to buy plastic crap with a short lifespan that barely functions and is susceptible to malware and failure.  Yeah.  Right up your alley, I guess, huh hentaiboy?

• Reply 9 of 20
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    hentaiboy wrote: »
    I'm a working college student who knows I'd rather have Apple products than trying to deal with the quirks of windows. It leaves a lot more time to focus on school.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

but..but..but... young people think Apple is "uncool".  Apple isn't hip anymore.

Says all the fandroids and analysts... meaning, no one of any importance.

Fandroids are the village idiots of the digital era, running around with their hair on fire spouting nonsense and tech specs.

• Reply 11 of 20
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Hmm...I was just at my sisters house over the weekend and her two sons (one is 23, the other is 18) ripped on Beats, said they hate them. The oldest is way into music and had just bought a pair of Audio Technica headphones (that's how we got on the topic). I'd love to know how many kids buy Beats because they think they're the best or if it's just a brand thing,

Btw, those Audio Technica cans sounded awesome. And they are cheaper than Beats.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    That stat, that women prefer clothes to tech by 79% to 44%, gives us a little hint as to why Apple is made up of mostly men.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    That stat, that women prefer clothes to tech by 79% to 44%, gives us a little hint as to why Apple is made up of mostly men.

Do you think other tech companies are different? Just stop, with your ludicrously stupid posts.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    rogifan wrote: »
    Hmm...I was just at my sisters house over the weekend and her two sons (one is 23, the other is 18) ripped on Beats, said they hate them. The oldest is way into music and had just bought a pair of Audio Technica headphones (that's how we got on the topic). I'd love to know how many kids buy Beats because they think they're the best or if it's just a brand thing,

Btw, those Audio Technica cans sounded awesome. And they are cheaper than Beats.

Yep, your one data point trumps a survey.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

College fees are insanely high. Especially in an environment where a degree by itself is next to worthless. Your point? There's no hypocrisy between deciding to spend a bit more on a computer you will use every single day, for years, and which will help you accomplish your work more effectively- and claiming that college fees (which can reach tens of thousands a yr) are indeed too high. 

• Reply 16 of 20
    slurpy wrote: »
    There's no hypocrisy between deciding to spend a bit more on a computer you will use every single day, for years, and which will help you accomplish your work more effectively- and claiming that college fees (which can reach tens of thousands a yr) are indeed too high. 

Like most (if not all) the people that will read this post, we know people that will spend seemingly unrealistic amounts of money for mechanical utilities that they don't use often, yet they'll skimp on getting a decent computer and other CE that they use for many hours per day… every day. I just don't get the logic behind it.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Yep, your one data point trumps a survey.

Just about as much as 880 student survey is considered enough data.
  • Reply 18 of 20

It sure beats an anecdote.
  • Reply 19 of 20

If you'd actually taken a course in basic statistics -- or had bothered to look up a phrase such as 'sampling error' and 'survey sample size' -- you might have saved yourself an ignorant post.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Look over all the numbers and you can see that women, by far, are the smarter shoppers when it comes to Apple vs. crap or any kind. They don't let Microsoft or Samsung blow air up their skirts.

They're also the ones who are broke gold diggers and let the Beats marketing blow smoke up their skirts.