Apple launches iTunes Tumblr page as part of social media push

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited December 2014
Apple on Monday took its social media presence to a new level by launching a new Tumblr page dedicated to iTunes, which currently contains pictures, video and GIFs focusing on the "Best of 2014."

Apple's iTunes Tumblr page shares visual similarities with the company's official website, but takes on the popular social media site's image-heavy style.

The page itself is broken into categories for iTunes' major product categories -- music, movies, TV and iBooks -- each including a short promo video running through the best content of 2014. For example, Beyonce is featured in the top spot on the iTunes Music Tumblr landing page as 2014's best artist, above random pictures, GIFs and video of Nikki Minaj, Sam Smith, Taylor Swift and more.

Today's Tumblr launch is part of Apple's fresh push in social media that has seen enhanced consumer outreach on platforms like Twitter, Facebook and, most recently, Instagram. Under CEO Tim Cook, Apple executives have also taken a shine to Twitter and other services, completely divergent from the closed-off company run by late cofounder Steve Jobs.

Potentially behind the renewed interest in social is new Apple hire Musa Tariq, a social media guru who previously worked under current retail chief Angela Ahrendts during her time as CEO of Burberry. Prior to joining Apple, Tariq was senior director of social media at Nike, a strong player in community-driven ad campaigns.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

I don't know what half of the things are, and there's no link to iTunes, or anything else.  Maybe you have to sign into Twitter, Tumblr or Facebook to repost, but I ain't doing that.

Pretty, but doesn't seem fully thought through.

• Reply 2 of 5
    Still waiting for apple.com official facebook page
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Get this. I do use Tumblr, yet the way the website for iTunes Tumblr has been made, I cannot click on follow at the bottom even if I scroll right down to the bottom.. with.. Safari OSX Yosemite.

I was able to follow the Tumblr-site on Firefox.

All I can say is there's an appleqa site on tumblr dot com with more of this kind of stuff from Apple.
    I have no idea what they're doing but if they have a social media advisor - how come they don't have a social media QA group testing the things before they launch. Sad, sad, sad state of affairs.

And before you ask, if you really think bugreport apple com is where these should be reported - where in there?!?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

Originally Posted by esaruoho View Post

Get this. I do use Tumblr, yet the way the website for iTunes Tumblr has been made, I cannot click on follow at the bottom even if I scroll right down to the bottom.. with.. Safari OSX Yosemite.

Worked for me.

It's a pretty heavy page though but truthfully how many people actually view the main page over just their dashboards on Tumblr?

• Reply 5 of 5
    Wow, Apple has NO IDEA what they're doing with social media...

why the hell would someone reblog their actual ad graphics?