How to listen to your favorite podcasts over the holidays

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2015
Holiday season is coming to a close and those days off will be a great time to catch up on your favorite podcasts. Here are some of the best podcast apps available for Apple's iOS.

Whether you still need to listen to that season finale of Serial, or you're looking to discover some new tech podcasts, there are many great apps to subscribe, download and listen. There are too many to mention here, and a majority of our suggestions are paid apps, but there will be a free option to help new podcast subscribers to start listening right away.

Pocket Casts

With the most upfront cost for podcast apps, Pocket Casts is a universal app available on the iOS App Store, Android and offers cloud syncing for $4.99. Once users purchase the app, there is no fee for the cloud syncing service and no in app purchases to unlock additional features.

Like any podcast app, users can search, discover and subscribe to podcasts and have new episodes download automatically.

Pocket Casts offers granular control over your subscribed shows, auto-deleting after an episode is marked as played, only keeping the last 2-3 episodes, and more. Users can also create custom playlists that filter unplayed episodes, most recent, downloaded, in progress, and more.

Show notes are beautifully displayed in both the episode lists and the play screen. Swiping to the left while playing an episode reveals show notes while swiping to the right reveals the "up next" episodes. Users can choose to queue other episodes of any podcast they're subscribed to for continuous playback.

Two stand out features for Pocket Casts is the ability to set a start time per podcast, and their cloud player. Users can choose to start playing episodes 10, 20 or more seconds into a podcast in order to skip over intro advertisements, or other content.

Signing up for a free Pocket Casts cloud subscription will sync your podcasts and play progress across devices, even Android phones and tablets. They also offer a free web player where users can listen right where they left off on any device.

Overcast

Developed by Marco Arment, Overcast is another universal app that is free to download in the App Store with a $4.99 in app purchase to "unlock everything." The free version allows users to subscribe and download podcasts over wifi, while unlocking the full version opens downloading over cellular data and Overcast's unique audio features like Smart Speed.

The major drawback of Overcast is the inability to stream episodes without downloading them first. This makes the $4.99 in app purchase almost necessary for listening on the go. While Overcast doesn't have as many features as Pocket Casts, there are several audio effects not found anywhere else.

For those that enjoy listening to podcasts at faster speeds, such as 1.5x or 2x, Overcast gives users even more options between 1x and 2x, but it also has a Smart Speed option. Rather than just speeding up a podcast's playback, Smart Speed will shorten silences to create a continuous flow of speech.

There is also a Voice Boost option that can be very useful on some podcasts that are recorded at a lower volume. Voice Boost will raise the volume and EQ the show for easier listening and sounds good most of the time.

Overcast also includes a proprietary cloud syncing service and a basic web browser player that will sync your progress between devices.

Instacast

Another powerful client for iPhone, iPad and the Mac, Instacast is a free download in the App Store with numerous in app purchase options.

Instacast gives you many of the granular controls of Pocket Casts, but features like search are a $0.99 in app purchase.

Two major benefits of Instacast are the ability to bookmark times within an episode and it's native OS X Yosemite app. Bookmarks can be added in any episode of any podcast and users can title them for future reference. These bookmarks also sync across devices using Instacast Cloud and can be exported for backup.

Instacast for Mac is a powerful desktop podcast app but costs $19.99 for new users and $4.99 for those upgrading from version 1.0.

In addition to the iOS and Mac apps, Instacast cloud has several payment options for membership. Features such as data syncing (podcast subscriptions and bookmarks) and push notifications are free, but advanced features are also available.

Instacast is definitely the most expensive option, but for the power podcast listener who spends lots of time on a Mac, the native OS X Yosemite application and cloud syncing is worth a look.

Podcasts

The always-free option is Apple's own built-in Podcasts app for iOS 8. For those just getting introduced to podcasts, the stock app will allow users to search, discover, subscribe and download episodes easily.

While you won't find some of the power features like Instacast or Pocket Casts, the Podcasts app will get the job done and is supposed to sync subscriptions between devices. From our experience, the podcast subscription and episode syncing is not flawless, but if users are mainly listening on one device it shouldn't be an issue.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    I really like Downcast but I've got to admit that I tried tried many of the apps in this round-up.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    richl wrote: »
    I really like Downcast but I've got to admit that I tried tried many of the apps in this round-up.

I bought Downcast a while ago and generally like it quite a bit. I have noticed it cannot reliably automatically download a large number of podcasts en masse. Each one has to be individually forced to download, which is annoying but not enough for me to abandon the app.

It also has up to 3x audio speed, which can really cut down on the listen time of some of the long 'casts.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    Favorite podcasts:

-This Week In Tech
    -MacBreak Weekly
    -The Tom Woods Show
    -Slate's Political Gabfest
    -iMore Show
    -Current Geek
    -WTF with Marc Maron (not always great, but does get interesting guests)
    -Triangulation
    -Nerdist Writer's Panel
    -The Nerdist
    -The Incomparable Radio Network (All Shows)

List your favorites!
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Alas, no one has a podcast app that does what I'm looking for. All it needs to do its:

1. Download from iTunes and play the podcasts in an iTunes playlist. Klutzing with downloads and arranging their play order on my iPhone is too clumsy. I prefer to manage them in iTunes on my Mac, playing them in the order I choose, not based on some complex set of rules.

2. Play at 1.25x. I don't know what idiot at Apple years ago thought 1.5x and 2.0x playback speed made sense, but I'm rather frustrated that Apple's own Podcast app and most others offer no other options. 1.5x is tolerable for light material but nothing else. 2x is virtually worthless for anything more than fast-forwarding. I could easily listen to everything at 1.25x and get in 25% more listening.

To their credit, Instacast has had enough requests for #1 above, they have had it on their to-do list for at least two years. But it has proved rather difficult to mesh with their other features.

What's needed is a simple podcast app that does the above and perhaps can also handle playing audiobooks at the same time. Right now I'm having to fiddle with two apps to do that, neither of which work very well.

I'd gladly buy a single one that meets my needs and that developer wouldn't have to create in the crowded field of the more complex podcast apps.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    I subscribe to over 15 podcasts per week. Would prefer streaming vs downloading. What would you recommend for iOS? My iPhone 6 Plus has limited storage lol.

Mainly listen to:
    - Joe Rogan
    - ESPN's first take
    - Mostly everything NPR
    - The Tim Ferriss Show
    - The Ross Report (podcast one)
    - The BS Report

Thanks in advance. Leaning towards Pocket Casts or Marco's podcast app. Thought?
  • Reply 6 of 21
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Overcast's Smart Speed and 1.1x Speed make it the only choice for me! Worked great without needing an account, though it was nice once I created an account to be able to go to the web player on any computer and have it resume right where I left off.

I now use iTunes only for those very rare podcasts I want to archive forever. Overcast for everything else. Super painless. And supports landscape on 6 Plus.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    I'm a Downcast user since the iPhone 4S days.

My regular listens:

Go Creative Show
    Macbreak Weekly
    Tech News Today
    PC Perspective
    This Week in Computer Hardware
    This Week in Photo
    This Week in Tech

My occasional listens:

Adam Carolla Show (most but not all episodes, depending on the guest)
    All About the Gear (depending on the camera they're reviewing in a particular episode)
    ExtraShot (a videography podcast that only has maybe one new episodes a month)
    Nerdist (depending on the guest)
    Pauly Shore's Interested Podcast (most but not all episodes, depending on the guest)
    Triangulation (depending on the guest)
    Windows Weekly (some episodes, depending on the topic)
    WTF with Marc Maron (depending on the guest)
  • Reply 8 of 21
    65026502 Posts: 380member

I don't know about #1 but I use PodCruncher and it does 1.25x playback. I also like how you can skip forward/back from the lock screen (others may have that as well).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

Alas, no one has a podcast app that does what I'm looking for. All it needs to do its:

1. Download from iTunes and play the podcasts in an iTunes playlist. Klutzing with downloads and arranging their play order on my iPhone is too clumsy. I prefer to manage them in iTunes on my Mac, playing them in the order I choose, not based on some complex set of rules.

2. Play at 1.25x. I don't know what idiot at Apple years ago thought 1.5x and 2.0x playback speed made sense, but I'm rather frustrated that Apple's own Podcast app and most others offer no other options. 1.5x is tolerable for light material but nothing else. 2x is virtually worthless for anything more than fast-forwarding. I could easily listen to everything at 1.25x and get in 25% more listening.

• Reply 9 of 21
    I no longer use the Apple Podcast app & have switched to Overcast, not perfect as it has deleted my entire list of podcasts once so far, but no worse than that piece of c*** Apple insist on peddling.

Why they changed it from an app that played in the Music app to a standalone app I will never know.

It USED to carry on playing what you were listening to whenever you pressed play on your headphones. Now when I use Apple Podcast as a standalone app my iPhone will randomly decide whether it's going to continue my podcast, play the last piece of music I played or helpfully choose a random music track to play meaning that rather than simply pressing play I then have to take my phone out of my pocket, unlock it, go to the podcast app, choose the podcast I was listening to, then press play. Overcast hasn't changed this but Apple aren't listening to complaints so you have to do something.

Why was the old way so bad ? It worked EXACTLY how I wanted to & is now useless.
  • Reply 10 of 21

iCatcher almost never gets mentioned but it has most of the things people are looking for. It's a universal app, supports audio and video, downloading and streaming, syncing of podcasts and progress, smart playlists, wifi and cellular support, variable speed listening, and the developer frequently updates the app and is extremely responsive to bug reports and feature suggestions.

• Reply 11 of 21
    So unless I've got specific preferences, Pocket Casts it is, then.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Playing and syncing Podcasts through the Music app was by far the best experience I've ever seen. The Apple standalone Podcast app broke most of what worked, and added a bunch of annoyances that keep coming back no matter how often you turn them off. I've yet to see a third party podcast app that just simply works the way podcasts in the Music app used to. All I want to see are just the five most recent unplayed episodes of the selected shows, and the selected playlists from my iTunes library.I want no downloading, no streaming, no reappearing episodes that you've already listened to, etc.

Are there any podcast apps that sync the podcasts that you select in your iTunes library, and do not serve up anything else?
  • Reply 13 of 21
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,294member
    No love for Castro? It's great and on sale for $2.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    The best podcasts for me are the science Q&A podcasts by Dr Karl Kruszelnicki. These are:
    - Dr Karl on triplej
    - 5 live Science
    - Sleek Geeks
    - Dr Karl's Great Moments in Science
    - Dr Karl's Blogcast

I'm also pretty happy that the BBC are still making comedic radio plays and other comedy half-hours.

- Friday Night Comedy from BBC Radio 4 (when it has "The Now Show" *not* when it has "The News Quiz")
    - BBC Radio 4's "Drama of the Week" is broadcasting Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman's "Good Omens" at the moment
    - "Cabin Pressure" starring Benedict Cumberbatch is great if you can find it.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    I love Pocketcast.

You should also check out:

The One You Feed- http://oneyoufeed.net which was named a Top Podcast of 2014 by iTunes.

Also really love Hardcore History by Dan Carlin
  • Reply 16 of 21
    inkling wrote: »

To their credit, Instacast has had enough requests for #1 above, they have had it on their to-do list for at least two years. But it has proved rather difficult to mesh with their other features.

What's needed is a simple podcast app that does the above and perhaps can also handle playing audiobooks at the same time. Right now I'm having to fiddle with two apps to do that, neither of which work very well.

I'd gladly buy a single one that meets my needs and that developer wouldn't have to create in the crowded field of the more complex podcast apps.
    100% agree that there should be a 1.25 times fast forward.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

English

-Smodcast

-Doug Loves Movies

-Getting Doug With High

-Engadget Mobile

French

-Coffee Break French

-Les Lundis de l'histoire

-Les Grosses Têtes

Italian

-La Tavola Marche

-Punto Zero Tre Venezie

Raetoromanisch

-Radiotelevisiun Svizra Rumantscha

• Reply 18 of 21
    Folks, I have been using and a tester for Downcast for years. It is great and has your 1.25 speed play. Try it. Not sure how it didn't make the list.

John
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Overcast is amazing.

I left the Apple podcast app when there were server issues a few months back and I couldn't play anything. I was already annoyed by the poor UI design where I would try to FF and accidentally hit the fast playback button.

The Smart Speed and Voice Boost are great features that dramatically improve the listening experience. Especially for Marco Arment's own podcast ATP. Hehe. Casey Liss is soft and John Syracusa is loud. Now I can hear both without constant volume adjustments. I also get about 15% faster playback without using a wonky high speed playback.

The app is not without it's drawbacks. It does not pause when Siri is giving map directions. I often miss the direction details. Also, there are Sooooo many confusing screens. I often lose track of how to get from one spot ti another. If the Apple podcast app is a 1 star hen I give Overcast 4 stars.

BTW - the iPad with it's use of a split view controller is so so. I prefer using 2X size on an iPhone app. Just 2 stars for the iPad app.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    stephenroblesstephenrobles Posts: 91member, moderator, editor

I personally use Pocket Casts and it allows streaming. Marco's app will not stream in it's current iteration.