Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
My PC is broken again! UGH!!!!!!!!!

What a great Easter present

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    [could be you]

"Oh, look! I got a new iMac for Easter. Cool, because the base looks EXACTLY like one half of an egg."

[/could be you]
  • Reply 2 of 11
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    [quote]Originally posted by CosmoNut:

<strong>[could be you]

"Oh, look! I got a new iMac for Easter. Cool, because the base looks EXACTLY like one half of an egg."

[/could be you]</strong><hr></blockquote>

The egg of which animal exactly??

J :cool:
  • Reply 3 of 11
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Off topic, but I wanted to ask Leonis about Maya, especially now that its affordable to me:-)

1) Are you running a mac or PC version? (If PC, is it much faster than the Mac?)

2) How does it compare to Cinema? Im specially interested in the modelling tools, dynamics and character animation tools.

3) Can you get Maya models into Cinema's renderer. Can you send animation tracks with it?

4) Is the editor much faster than Cinema's?

5) Is it worth it?

Cheers

Marcus
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Ooh, good questions, Mark. I'm interested in just the same thing!
  • Reply 5 of 11
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    [quote]Originally posted by MarcUK:

<strong>Off topic, but I wanted to ask Leonis about Maya, especially now that its affordable to me:-)

1) Are you running a mac or PC version? (If PC, is it much faster than the Mac?)</strong><hr></blockquote>

Both.....unfortunately the mac version is still half version behind the IRIX and NT versions

Again Maya (for mac) is NOT MP aware

About speed. The PC (Athlon) is MUCH FASTER, Mac just can't match up at all

Rendering is still slow compare to LW and XSI and Cinema

<strong>2) How does it compare to Cinema? Im specially interested in the modelling tools, dynamics and character animation tools. </strong><hr></blockquote>

For CA stuff. Maya is the best in the industry, period. But the learning curve is very steep.

I haven't touched this app since January since my partners are now forcing me to use XSI....learning it and no time to touch Maya anymore.....

<strong>3) Can you get Maya models into Cinema's renderer. Can you send animation tracks with it?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Model....must be OBJ...but what's the point?

Also...Maya is a real bitch when optimizing the UV map

Animation track....Nope...

<strong>4) Is the editor much faster than Cinema's?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Imagine the editor speed on Maya is three to five times faster than Cinema on my Dual 500 :eek:

Maxon's editor is so dependent on processor not the GPU

There're already tons of complaints about this in Postforum

<strong>5) Is it worth it?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Can't say this. This is totally depending on the person's point of view. But what I can say is yes you can buy the app for cheap now but don't forget you will have to purchase the support package in order to receive maintainance upgrade (like 3.5 to 3.51 or 3.52 , 4.0 to 4.01 to 4.02 etc etc) and support. This package does add up A LOT! Last time I heard was around $7000US per year....but not sure if they have reduced it or not....

Again....go to postforum and you will see many people making arguments. I see people in there bitching others......many of them are the real pros...quite entertaining to see pros bitching other pros

Anyway. I was talking to couple of guys who run animation houses. Some of them in Ottawa and some of them in Nashville (the one that forces me to learn XSI).......

They all told me that AW has 'fired' a lot of people because all the programmers have to move to Canada and earn CANADIAN dollars....same figure but in different currency....which means losing half of income! Almost all of them refused the offer...so AW fired them.

With over 70% (not too sure if it is accurate) of programmers gone the major problem is will all those new customers receive support or bug fix upgrade in the future is a real real concern.....

[ 03-30-2002: Message edited by: Leonis ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 11
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    thanks leo, in reply to your last point, about Alais/wavefront, I was thinking that SGI really must be in the shit? While dropping an app from $7000 to $2000 must look like a good deal to the customer, so much of a drop, looks to me like AW/SGI are desperately looking for some cash. And Im wondering if SGI is on its last legs?

Id be reluctant to buy Maya if I knew SGI would not be around in a year, although id like a 4x boost in my editor!

SGI's maintenance program.. If I was to buy Maya 3.5 and a week later 3.51 came out, I would automatically get the upgrade in the post IF I signed up. I wouldn't be eligable for a 0.01 upgrade if I DIDN't sign up. Is that what u're saying?

[ 03-31-2002: Message edited by: MarcUK ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 11
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member

<strong>SGI's maintenance program.. If I was to buy Maya 3.5 and a week later 3.51 came out, I would automatically get the upgrade in the post IF I signed up. I wouldn't be eligable for a 0.01 upgrade if I DIDN't sign up. Is that what u're saying?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeap. They (AW not SGI by the way) never provide updater on their web site. When a new maintanence update is out they will be a whole app and be sent to registered maintanence package users.

So much money for the updater fix....

I was told that many small studios that barely can afford the app usually skip the package and go to net to find the app and crack

[ 03-31-2002: Message edited by: Leonis ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by Jamie:

<strong>

The egg of which animal exactly??

J :cool: </strong><hr></blockquote>

This hen did :cool:

<a href="http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_490878.html?menu=news.quirkies"; target="_blank">http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_490878.html?menu=news.quirkies</a>;

and I guess some Owl Eggs are almost perfectly round.

-Owl
  • Reply 9 of 11
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    The other day I went to the library and they recently have replaced like all the computers and gotten more ones. The computers are some Pentium 4s, and when I walked in, half of them had signs on them cause they werent working!! I just smurked.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    [quote]Originally posted by Owl Boy:

<strong>

and I guess some Owl Eggs are almost perfectly round.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

And 8 inches in diameter?

J :cool:
  • Reply 11 of 11
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    [quote]I just smurked.<hr></blockquote>