New Apple Store displays show off art created with Apple products

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2015
The intersection of technology and liberal arts has taken on a new approach at Apple's retail stores, where some locations are now doubling as public galleries to showcase art created with Apple hardware and software.

Photo via Storetellee.

The art displays are part of Apple's new "Start Something New" campaign, which began online last week, showcasing the kind of "amazing things" that can be made with the company's products. But in addition to online art galleries, Apple has also begun to bring them to retail stores, spotlighting the creations of talented Apple users.

The retail component of the art galleries, detailed by ifoAppleStore, is a first for Apple, as the company has never before had such a campaign span both its website and retail stores. Rather than focusing on the products themselves, Apple's new ad campaign focuses on what its hardware and software, as well as third-party apps, allow users to do.

"Fang etwas Neues an" -- auch in den Retail Stores, z.B. in der Regent Street in London (UK). -- http://t.co/SOZvzq8Hup pic.twitter.com/DIZRphE3Gg

— Storeteller (@storetellee)

On Twitter, Storeteller shared images of photographs and drawings displayed at the Apple Store on Regent Street in London. And on its website, Apple shows pairings of apps and hardware that were used to create the pieces, such as VSCO Cam and an iPhone 6 Plus helping photographer Austin Mann to capture a stunning panorama off the Icelandic coast.'

"Every piece in this gallery was created on an Apple product," the company has said. "Every brushstroke, every pixel, and every frame of film was brought to life by talented Apple users from around the world. As you explore their work, we hope it inspires you to create something new."

Late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs famously inspired his company to try to find the intersection of technology and liberal arts when creating products. In a presentation in 2011, months before his death, Jobs explained his philosophy and how products like the iPhone and iPad were making great strides in that direction.

"It's in Apple's DNA that technology alone is not enough," Jobs said. "That it's technology married with liberal arts, married with the humanities, that yields us the result that makes our heart sing. And nowhere is that more true than in these post-PC devices."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Wow, that looks really good. There's something about the spartan style of Apple Stores that kind of makes them like art galleries to begin with.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    OMG that is absolutely brilliant. A whole new range of folks might be drawn inside (no pun intended) just for the artwork. It instantly adds a great new dimension to the Apple Store.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    I hope that means they take down the picture of a car full of teen age girls all roaring with laughter including the driver who's clearly not paying any attention to her driving. Not the right message.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    ascii wrote: »
    Wow, that looks really good. There's something about the spartan style of Apple Stores that kind of makes them like art galleries to begin with.
    Yes, it all fits so well together.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Great idea. I'm still very curious how stores will be redesigned to accommodate ?Watch. We've heard very little about Angela Ahrendts since she started. I wonder if she has something big cooking or not much will change from current Apple retail.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Fucking awesome!!
  • Reply 7 of 13
    lolliverlolliver Posts: 493member
    Well it certainly inspired me to try and create something. Just wish I had the talent of these artists. Does anyone know if the Aussie Apple stores will be featuring artwork? Would love to go check it out.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lolliver View Post

Well it certainly inspired me to try and create something. Just wish I had the talent of these artists. Does anyone know if the Aussie Apple stores will be featuring artwork? Would love to go check it out.

I was in a one a few days ago and they still had the Christmas posters up with the young girl singing to her grandmother.

• Reply 9 of 13
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Great idea. I'm still very curious how stores will be redesigned to accommodate ?Watch. We've heard very little about Angela Ahrendts since she started. I wonder if she has something big cooking or not much will change from current Apple retail.

She does seemed to have vanished for now.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Great new ad campaign, what's happened to apple's new head of marketing. Wait, what?
  • Reply 11 of 13
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

She does seemed to have vanished for now.

She has a massive role. The scale of Apple Retail and Apple Online will take some time to really get a grasp of and she's only really been on the job less than a year. I think the launch of Apple Watch will be her coming out party. 

• Reply 12 of 13
    Anything that makes Apple more connected to its users and less bland and corporate is good.

Apple needs to do a lot more of this to reverse a trend towards the latter.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    envirogenvirog Posts: 188member
    I like this marketing approach by Apple. Good Job!