Thinking of buying RAM? Might want to do it now.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Not to be an alarmist or anything but today an earthquake of magnitude 7.1 hit the island of Taiwan, the largest since 1986. If anyone remembers 2 years ago when an earthquake hit Taiwan it severely impacted semiconductor operations on the island which constitutes about 50% of the world's DRAM supply. Also drove up component prices for motherboards and ASICs.

No word of earthquake's impact on Hsinchu the main semiconductor production area but multiple buildings have collapsed in the capital of Taipei and a couple deaths have been reported. Would have posted in AppleOutsider except for the obvious impact this may have in the tech world. Just what we needed as we began to see the light at the end of this downturn tunnel.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    No problem, I'm sure steve can just tack another 100 or so on top of the iMac's price.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Hopefully this also won't hurt the sipping of the iMacs.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>Hopefully this also won't hurt the sipping of the iMacs.</strong><hr></blockquote>

God forbid! I hope I can still sip my Macs regularly and without price increases.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    owl boyowl boy Posts: 61member
    ::Slurp!::

-Owl
  • Reply 5 of 9
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    I'm just lucky I bought RAM for my iMac before all of this started...
  • Reply 6 of 9
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>No problem, I'm sure steve can just tack another 100 or so on top of the iMac's price.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Jesus man, did you write some kind of script that warns you when there is an chance to come here and cry about the iMac price increases?

Really, seems like so much bitching about that, or OSX being dog slow. Thing is, it's always you with the pricing, and Scott H. & G4Dude with the OSX whining...

Give it a rest, ya bastich!

• Reply 7 of 9
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    isn't apple's main iMac outsourcing done it Taiwan?

this is not a good sign.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by alcimedes:

<strong>isn't apple's main iMac outsourcing done it Taiwan?

this is not a good sign.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yep. That's why I said:

Hopefully this also won't hurt the sipping of the iMacs.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    Dammit. Just when I though prices were gonna finally go <a href="http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenTopic/page?a=tpc&s=50009562&f=77909774&m=6460953614"; target="_blank">down</a>.