Apple seeds OS X 10.10.2 Yosemite beta to developers

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2015
Apple on Wednesday issued a fourth beta build for an upcoming OS X 10.10.2 Yosemite maintenance update, requesting developers test Wi-Fi, Mail, VoiceOver and Bluetooth functionality ahead of public release.

The latest Yosemite beta build 14C99d comes one week after the most recent version was released to developers and appears to mark a return to Apple's usual weekly update cycle.

Apple is once again asking developers to focus on Wi-Fi connectivity assets in the new beta version, a problem area for OS X Yosemite that has not been resolved since its launch last October. Mac users have complained of multiple Wi-Fi connectivity issues, including slower than normal transfer speeds and dropped connections.

Other focus areas include Mail, VoiceOver and Bluetooth. Apple's OS X 10.10.1 update attempted to patch complications for both Wi-Fi and Mail in November, but problems remain for some users.

Developers can access the OS X 10.10.2 Yosemite beta through Apple's Developer Portal.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Lest they forget the graphical bugs and issues I keep seeing on my mid 2013 MacBook Air and my brand new iMac 5K.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    And Time Machine...
  • Reply 3 of 20
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member

And my jerky animations when opening and closing windows....ugh. Early 2009 Mac Pro 16gb Ram.

• Reply 4 of 20
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member

if you guys are sending your feedback to apple, why post it here?

it just sounds like whining to me.

• Reply 5 of 20
    gdoggdog Posts: 224member
    Any slowdowns with update?
  • Reply 6 of 20
    qo_qo_ Posts: 37member
    "Wi-Fi connectivity assets"

What "assets," specifically? Wouldn't "Wi-Fi connectivity" alone have worked?

Sorry, I nitpick when bored, but just don't see any value fluff words like "assets" add to these articles, and AI has been overusing it lately (imho).
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Lest they forget the graphical bugs and issues I keep seeing on my mid 2013 MacBook Air and my brand new iMac 5K.

Are you referring to the horrible performance of Preview with PDFs?

I find when zooming in on largish PDFs (maybe 1-2 Mb), that lag and spinning beach ball occurs. Sometimes there is just no response for too long, then I have to force quit. This is on my shiny new iMac 5K :-( 

Apple support forum users are reporting this too. I went ahead and sent Apple a bug report.

BTW, Adobe Reader seems to work well. Not much in the way of markup tools though. 

• Reply 8 of 20
    Fix my WiFi, damn it!!!
  • Reply 9 of 20
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,294member
    I haven't had any trouble with Wi-Fi on my end (and I travel a lot), but I have seen -- and reported -- inconsistent behaviour from the "Instant Hotspot" feature when I needed it. Just today, in fact, I had to restart the iPhone to get it to work correctly, and even then I had to manually turn on the hotspot on the iPhone -- it didn't "just work" until I did that, which shouldn't be happening.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member

Yosemite for me has been plagued with poor graphical performance on a 2013 MacBook Air and 2012 MacBook Pro. I see this a lot in Safari. Scrolling a web page quickly results in nothing but white for a moment, and then the page appears. Opening menus in any app, or switching mailboxes in Mail.app can result in the background highlight for the selection to be half on the old, half on the new. I never saw this issue happen with any version of OS X in the past 13 years. It seems to me that they've tried to "over-optimize" graphics performance. I peg all of these problems on the WindowServer process, which also seems to consume even more CPU time than before.

• Reply 11 of 20
    mac_dog wrote: »
    if you guys are sending your feedback to apple, why post it here?
    it just sounds like whining to me.

Whining? You've no idea what you're talking about.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    coolfactor wrote: »
    Yosemite for me has been plagued with poor graphical performance on a 2013 MacBook Air and 2012 MacBook Pro. I see this a lot in Safari. Scrolling a web page quickly results in nothing but white for a moment, and then the page appears. Opening menus in any app, or switching mailboxes in Mail.app can result in the background highlight for the selection to be half on the old, half on the new. I never saw this issue happen with any version of OS X in the past 13 years. It seems to me that they've tried to "over-optimize" graphics performance. I peg all of these problems on the WindowServer process, which also seems to consume even more CPU time than before.

You may be right about where this issue is occurring. It's happening across many different Macs from old to new. I hope they are just choosing not to mention this and are working very hard to squash this issue. I just saw it in iTunes on my iMac 5K.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    Quote:
     if you guys are sending your feedback to apple, why post it here? it just sounds like whining to me.

This is true but in many cases we're already submitted bug reports to Apple and at best gotten a reply saying the bug we've submitted is a duplicate of one already in their defect database. So this forum ends up being a place to vent. 

If Apple provided even a little positive feedback that it was addressing the most egregious bugs in Yosemite more people would be inclined to cut them some slack. Core features like iTunes are horribly broken. I have to reboot Yosemite 2-3 times a day just to get it to recognize my iPhones, iPads, and iPods. For reasons known only to the Apple software team iTunes will simply lose connectivity to a USB connected device ("iPhone X is no longer connected") or will not recognize a device that's been unplugged and replugged while Yosemite is asleep. As I type this I see  that iTunes now shows the entire 79+ GB of used space on my iPhone 6+ as "Other."

Time for another Yosemite reboot.

Yosemite is Apple's Windows Me.

Something is terribly wrong in the Apple software organization. I don't know what their priorities are these days but fixing the basic functionality in OS X and iTunes should be very high on their list. Just make the basic stuff that's supposed to work - work. I suspect that OS X and especially iTunes has become an incredibly fragile house of cards and any changes in any area risk breaking the whole damn thing.

This software crisis has the potential of overshadowing all of the great things Apple is doing with shiny new hardware bling. They are not going to be able to gloss over these software bugs for much longer. The software stink is starting to spread. The worst smell right now is coming from iTunes, it's an unholy mess.

UPDATE:

Rebooted and reinstalled iTunes from the online download site. All of my iOS devices are showing up again - for now. Fingers crossed. This is so much like re-living the Windows Wars only without the need for registry hacks and the DLL hell. If Apple doesn't clean up their act soon on their software these PTSD episodes from my Windows days are going to keep reoccurring. Ugh!

• Reply 14 of 20

I didn't have issues with the first 2. The third that hit my machine last week really borked bluetooth, both my mouse and headphones were dropping frequently which I haven't seen prior. 4th is downloading now, hopefully it improves. 

• Reply 15 of 20

Apple's software has been killing the performance of older machines. There is no excuse.

I have a computer that has 3 and a half years and the darn thing costed me 1600 €, with student discount. Somehow, I can install Windows 8.1 on it and watch windows being as good as it can be. (still prefer OS X).

On OS X, preview lags like crazy on bigger pdfs and images. iPhoto is a lag fest. Screen transitions are far from fluid. If I go to system preferences and go to my icloud's settings, the beachball appears without end.

And all of this on a crappy 1440*900 TN panel that was outdated in 2011, but is their flagship to this day. There are some stupid decisions, specially on software. People are losing their trust on updates. Heck, just go and read some 10.10 reviews on the MAS.

I hope this update is about putting things on the right track, even if it isn't mentioned. It will take a lot of great releases to make me update on 10.X.0 again. Apple used to be about "it just works" and never release betas. Now it's always about being on beta or unsupported.

They are lucky everybody else sucks. 

• Reply 16 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DewMe View Post

If Apple provided even a little positive feedback that it was addressing the most egregious bugs in Yosemite more people would be inclined to cut them some slack.

Agreed. This is one of those where secrecy hurts Apple.

• Reply 17 of 20
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    arnette wrote: »
    Fix my WiFi, damn it!!!

10.10.2 seems to have fixed all DNS issues.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    dewme wrote: »
    This is true but in many cases we're already submitted bug reports to Apple and at best gotten a reply saying the bug we've submitted is a duplicate of one already in their defect database. So this forum ends up being a place to vent. 

If Apple provided even a little positive feedback that it was addressing the most egregious bugs in Yosemite more people would be inclined to cut them some slack. Core features like iTunes are horribly broken. I have to reboot Yosemite 2-3 times a day just to get it to recognize my iPhones, iPads, and iPods. For reasons known only to the Apple software team iTunes will simply lose connectivity to a USB connected device ("iPhone X is no longer connected") or will not recognize a device that's been unplugged and replugged while Yosemite is asleep. As I type this I see  that iTunes now shows the entire 79+ GB of used space on my iPhone 6+ as "Other."

Time for another Yosemite reboot.

Yosemite is Apple's Windows Me.

Something is terribly wrong in the Apple software organization. I don't know what their priorities are these days but fixing the basic functionality in OS X and iTunes should be very high on their list. Just make the basic stuff that's supposed to work - work. I suspect that OS X and especially iTunes has become an incredibly fragile house of cards and any changes in any area risk breaking the whole damn thing.

This software crisis has the potential of overshadowing all of the great things Apple is doing with shiny new hardware bling. They are not going to be able to gloss over these software bugs for much longer. The software stink is starting to spread. The worst smell right now is coming from iTunes, it's an unholy mess.

UPDATE:

Rebooted and reinstalled iTunes from the online download site. All of my iOS devices are showing up again - for now. Fingers crossed. This is so much like re-living the Windows Wars only without the need for registry hacks and the DLL hell. If Apple doesn't clean up their act soon on their software these PTSD episodes from my Windows days are going to keep reoccurring. Ugh!

Sometimes when a user has a myriad of issues such as you describe, it is natural when they hear about updates that they gain reinforcement in the view it is something wrong with the OS behind their specific issues. Simply based my 35 years plus experience in this industry, I would suspect you have something else going on. Have you tried running Disk Warrior on your boot volume to check the catalogs and directories for example? Sadly, Apple's Disk Utilities is far from the best tool once the weird stuff starts.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    10.10.1 runs pretty fine on my 2010 mini (10gb RAM), considering the 5400 platter drive...no Thunderbolt, no USB 3, but Yosemite is okay. Better here than Snow Leopard....
  • Reply 20 of 20
    I'm essentially with DewMe on the state of software at the moment.

Having said that, I like Yosemite a lot. It's the smoothest I've known for some while on my seven year old iMac.

I hope Apple concentrate on iCal and Calendar. There are too many bugs there for my liking.