Three men tunnel into Beijing warehouse, make off with $300,000 worth of iPhones

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2015
Police in Beijing have arrested three men accused of stealing 240 iPhone 6 units from a warehouse owned by a Chinese logistics firm after digging a 20-inch hole through the building's wall.

In a separate case, a man tried to smuggle 94 iPhones from Hong Kong to mainland China under his clothes.
In a separate case, a man tried to smuggle 94 iPhones from Hong Kong to mainland China under his clothes.

The men --?one of whom was previously employed by the company as a driver --?used money gleaned from the devices' sale to gamble and purchase cars and gold, according to state-owned news agency Xinhua. The phones' serial numbers were used to track down the thieves, though it remains unclear what role they played.

Apple is widely expected to announce record sales for the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus in China later this month. Devices are still difficult to come by months after their release, though lead times are now measured in days, rather than weeks.

Another man was arrested at the Hong Kong border earlier this month after attempting to smuggle 94 iPhones into mainland China. Border guards were alerted after the man exhibited a "weird walking posture" while approaching the checkpoint at Futian, in Shenzhen.

So-called grey market iPhones remain in demand on the mainland, despite the proliferation of official Apple stores and other authorized dealers. Competition to acquire an iPhone is fierce due to the sheer number of potential buyers, and prices on the shelf tend to be higher than in other locales thanks to the significant luxury tax levied on foreign products by the Chinese government.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    Oceans 14?
  • Reply 2 of 57
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member

The Great Escape!

• Reply 3 of 57
    At least they are smart enough not to wast time trying to purloin Android devices.
  • Reply 4 of 57
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Police said ... 'the 240 GPS locations made pinpointing the thieves' position very accurate' ... ;)
  • Reply 5 of 57
    Nicely done!
  • Reply 6 of 57
    Police said ... 'the 240 GPS locations made pinpointing the thieves' position very accurate' ... ;)

Nicely Done ????????
  • Reply 7 of 57
    Nicely done!
  • Reply 8 of 57
    Maybe it's because this is an Apple-focused site, but why don't we ever hear about Android-based devices specifically being sought after and stolen in bulk? I remember there was a truckload of BB devices stolen a few years back, but I think that was more of stealing the truck because it was a convenience heist, not because it contained Blackberries.

m3267l wrote: »
    Nicely done!
    Nicely Done ????????
    Nicely done!

Welcome to the forum. There is an edit button (left side, under your comment) on this forum with no time limit.
  • Reply 9 of 57
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,258member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Oceans 14?

srsly. 

Stealing is wrong.... but this is pretty cool. I kind of have to respect the effort and ingenuity. 

• Reply 10 of 57
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Wow those phones are expensive. 300,000 ÷ 240 = $1,250 each.

• Reply 11 of 57
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Maybe it's because this is an Apple-focused site, but why don't we ever hear about Android-based devices specifically being sought after and stolen in bulk? I remember there was a truckload of BB devices stolen a few years back, but I think that was more of stealing the truck because it was a convenience heist, not because it contained Blackberries.

Android devices stolen in bulk is most likely accidental. There is no black market for Android devices.
  • Reply 12 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Oceans 14?

Roboburgler

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

The Great Escape!

Transphoner

Love the iPhone armor.

• Reply 13 of 57
    mstone wrote: »
    Wow those phones are expensive. 300,000 ÷ 240 = $1,250 each.

Yeah, that's about the going rate on the black market for the genuine product. And to think some trolls complain about having to pay the "Apple tax."
  • Reply 14 of 57
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Welcome to the forum. There is an edit button (left side, under your comment) on this forum with no time limit.

People see only what they want to see.

Quote:

A Truck Full Of 22,500 LG G2 Phones Gets Stolen in Indiana

on October 26, 2013 at 1:13 pm

According to a report, a truck which was containing 22,500 units of the LG’s flagship device, LG G2 was stolen on the way to its destination in Louisville.

A report from CNET confirms that the LG G2 phones in the truck were for an US carrier Sprint and was supposed to launch early next month. The phones were stolen at 6:30 PM on Thursday in Indiana, and LG representative confirmed the report, the driver left the truck for a bathroom break and when he was back the truck was missing.

The Indiana police was informed along with the FBI. The phones might not make there way all the way to India, but be aware if you find a cheap LG G2 somewhere!

• Reply 15 of 57
    solipsismy wrote: »
    why don't we ever hear about Android-based devices specifically being sought after and stolen in bulk?

Because nobody misses them.
    If Samsung Galaxy S5's shipped to a warehouse were stolen from there, Samsung would gladly mark them as "sold through" instead of "shipped."
  • Reply 16 of 57
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

A Truck Full Of 22,500 LG G2 Phones Gets Stolen in Indiana

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

People see only what they want to see.

The thieves had no idea what was in the truck.

It was later recovered with nothing missing except for the driver’s iPhone in the glovebox...

• Reply 17 of 57
    blastdoor wrote: »

srsly. 

Stealing is wrong.... but this is pretty cool. I kind of have to respect the effort and ingenuity. 

No, it's not cool. People will steal anything not locked down or electrified in China, given the opportunity. Theft of all kinds rampant.
  • Reply 18 of 57
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

The thieves had no idea what was in the truck.

It was later recovered with nothing missing except for the driver’s iPhone in the glovebox...

Could you provide a link please.  I can find no reference to the iPhone.  The multiple accounts I have read all just say there was one thief and that the truck was recovered four days later because he managed to crash it into a utility pole.

Quote:

LOUISVILLE, Ky. —A Louisville man faces several charges in what police are calling a $12 million cellphone theft ring.

Related

Kentucky State Police said Juan Perez Gonzalez, of Louisville, is charged with receiving stolen property over $10,000, leaving the scene of an accident, and theft by unlawful taking over $1,000,000.

Officers from several different agencies worked together after an Oct. 25 tip from the FBI.  That’s when a large cargo theft had been reported in Gary, Ind.

More than $12 million worth of LG smartphones had been reported stolen and were later located in a 2014 Great Dane trailer.

http://www.wlky.com/news/local-news/louisville-news/louisville-man-accused-in-12-million-cellphone-theft-ring/22676420

http://www.wdrb.com/story/23805744/police-louisville-man-stole-10-million-of-lg-cell-phone-cargo

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/story/23950724/thief-steals-truck-filled-with-12m-worth-of-smartphones

• Reply 19 of 57
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,630member

I wonder what kind of contract Apple has with its suppliers and warehouses regarding theft.   Based on the contract for the GTAT Sapphire supplier, it's probably something like Apple is not responsible for payment of product until they are delivered to Apple, Apple Stores, or resellers.

• Reply 20 of 57
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

The phones might not make there way all the way to India, but be aware if you find a cheap LG G2 somewhere!

Your "news" source does not know the difference between "there" and "their". I especially do not trust any journalists who do not know how to write and spell basic words.