Does ANYONE know the answer?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
How does one become an Apple reseller? I have asked the question before, but no one seems to know. There is something called "Apple Sales Web" which I can't get onto obviously....I stumbled across it the other day. I am interested in opening a small business. This question is driving me nuts......I guess I am just going to have to ask Apple soon!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    blablablabla Posts: 185member
    Why would anyone be interested in being a reseller for Apple at this time? ( The mac market is not expanding, and more and more of Apple sales are directly from the online store, or the Apple edu. agents ..)

Im giving you my very honest advice: Dont let your love for Apple blind you.

And, BTW, if im not wrong: to be an authorized Apple reseller, your total Apple sales for a year would have to be higher than a minimum amount of money . I dont know how much, but probably more than $100K/y. At least, this was the policy a few years ago, when Apple cut down the number of authorized resellers.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    I believe you can still become a VAR, a value added reseller. You have to do a certain amount in sales each month, and I forget what those figures are. I got the information years ago, and it's probably all changed by now. Back then it was as simple as filling out a form, and dealing with a rep. Then you had to immediately purchase machines for inventory, etceteras.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    norfanorfa Posts: 171member
    A guy down the street just became one. You have to apply to Apple like applying for a job as far as I can tell. He went to interviews, they had the right to accept or reject him. He is very good with mac's technically, has experience in Video and called his shop DV. I think there is still a place for resellers like him. HIs strength is his understanding of the film industry and of how he can make money selling to them. But I also think that if you're not a better than average service technician you'll have a very hard time. Selling service gets you 75$ an hour. Selling Macs might get you $75 a computer if you're lucky, and unless you can sell one and hour, you're going to make more from being a technician than youare being a salesman.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    My idea is to sell on ebay as a part time business. I would do it pre sale, then ship directly to the winner. Lots of places do this now. There must be somewhere I could get wholesale pricing. I am not interested in opening a shop. This way there is no overhead and the money is there before an order is placed. There are no inventory storage, shipping or other problems this way. The problem is where to get the reseller pricing. There must be a way.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    try apple.com/pr or maybe at the online store you can call someone in the sales dept and ask to talk to a manager. Or maybe call front desk and they will redirect you to who they think can help you best.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Ever notice how close MacWarehouse, et. al., are in price to the Apple Store? Apple isn't going to allow you to discount systems, so you'd have to sell them for the same price everyone else sells them for. Of course, to be competitive, the "discount" that other VAR's add is in tossing in extras like free memory or a free printer or some such (the "value added" part of VAR), meaning that you'd have to buy peripherals in bulk quantities like they do to get enough of a discount to compete.

If I was looking to establish a computer business on eBay, I'd take a trip to Taiwan and find a couple of manufacturers to hook me up with PC supplies at wholesale prices, and just deal in PC mobo's and memory.