Apple releases fifth betas of iOS 8.2, Xcode 6.2 with latest WatchKit tools for developers

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2015
Apple on Monday supplied developers with a fifth beta of iOS 8.2, as well as a new pre-release build of Xcode 6.2, giving the latest WatchKit tools for developing Apple Watch software.

iOS 8.2 beta 5 is available via Software Update in the iPhone's native Settings application, or via the iOS Developer Center website. As always, Apple has cautioned that the test software should only be deployed on devices dedicated for iOS 8.2 beta software development.

In addition, Xcode 6.2 beta 5 is also available to download.

The release comes just a few weeks after iOS 8.2 beta 4 was provided to developers in mid-January. The highly anticipated iOS 8.2 update should be available to consumers at some point before the Apple Watch debuts in April.

iOS 8.2 will be required to unlock connectivity with the Apple Watch, which requires being tethered to an iPhone for basic functionality such as support for third-party apps.

The first iOS 8.2 beta debuted WatchKit support in mid-November, giving developers their first crack at creating applications for the forthcoming Apple Watch. Developers can create custom third-party applications, Glances, and actionable notifications for the upcoming hardware, set to hit the market in early 2015.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Guys, see how a gadget can prevent Wireluke virus and unknown chargers from Stealing and infecting personal Phone data on Indiegogo in 60 seconds.
    http://igg.me/at/SpyD-IphoneHack/
  • Reply 2 of 9
    I really really hate that you guys don't link to the developer website at all in this whole article, nor do you include any type of source links at the end of the article. Come on, people.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,066member
    Actually, I'm kind of curious if the devs can tell us if there is a left/right hand lock feature. Seems like screen activation on raising your wrist will need to be learned by the device. And just to put me in the running for the stupidest comment in the thread: I haven't decided what wrist - left or right - to wear my Apple Watch on.
  • Reply 4 of 9

How you not decided, doesn't usually go on the non dominant wrist? I write with my right hand, and where a g shock on my left. I can't decide if i want an apple watch that is also a fitness tracker or a jawbone up3 that is just a fitness tracker. But they have a couple more months to tweak the software.

• Reply 5 of 9
    elmoofoelmoofo Posts: 100member
    It'll be interesting to see if the frustration with lack of access diminishes with this kit release, since we're several months closer to release since the last one. I bet this one allows more access to goodies now that the hardware is likely all locked down.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,066member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tkrunner1738 View Post

How you not decided, doesn't usually go on the non dominant wrist? I write with my right hand, and where a g shock on my left. I can't decide if i want an apple watch that is also a fitness tracker or a jawbone up3 that is just a fitness tracker. But they have a couple more months to tweak the software.

Tolja it was stupid. :-) I am right handed, but have worn a watch on my right wrist for 40 years. Owing to some carpal tunnel, I switched to left hand mousing a few years ago, so it seems natural to put Apple Watch on my right wrist, and manipulate it with my left. But I have yet to see Apple Watch shown in the "left handed" position. Presumably you just flip it over, but...

• Reply 7 of 9
    eightzero wrote: »
    But I have yet to see Apple Watch shown in the "left handed" position. Presumably you just flip it over, but...

Can't seem to find the links now but I remember reading somewhere in the aftermath of the announcement about there being an orientation setting so wearers preferring the right wrist could set the watch up as that and just flip it over on the strap so the crown is bottom left rather than top right.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I detect a general lack of interest in iWatch here due to the spare number of comments.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

Actually, I'm kind of curious if the devs can tell us if there is a left/right hand lock feature. Seems like screen activation on raising your wrist will need to be learned by the device. And just to put me in the running for the stupidest comment in the thread: I haven't decided what wrist - left or right - to wear my Apple Watch on.

Which wrist? Just don't buy the Apple Watch.

Problem solved.