Inside the highly customizable companion app that will connect your Apple Watch to your iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2015
The forthcoming Apple Watch is all about customization, as demonstrated by the long list of user-configurable options found in the companion app hidden within Apple's iOS 8.2 beta for iPhone.

With the help of tools released by developer Steven Troughton-Smith, AppleInsider dug into the Apple Watch companion application, and offers a closer look at the settings that will be available when the wrist-worn device launches later this year.

With the companion app, users will be able to configure a number of custom settings, such as what content is displayed on the Apple Watch, what music or photos are stored locally on the device, personalized text message quick-reply choices, and much more.

The Apple Watch companion app is still in beta, so any of the options shown here could change before iOS 8.2 ships, as well as the Watch itself to be released this April.

In the beta build, four parent menus are available corresponding to contacts, health-related applications, messages, and calendar. The app also includes a fifth, catch-all menu labeled "More."

Friends

Apple allows up to 12 of a user's contacts to appear on the Friends screen, which can be accessed by pressing the side button on the Apple Watch. From there, users can call, send messages, or use the Digital Touch to send sketches, taps and heartbeats.

The Apple Watch companion app also has its own blocked list, where users can be barred from sending messages directly to the watch. The iPhone's block list also applies, but giving the watch its own block list provides users an even greater level of control.

Activity

The Activity menu allows users finer control of the health-related functions of the Apple Watch. Here, users can opt to turn on or off stand reminders, which alert the user to move around if they've been sitting for 50 minutes of an hour.

The Apple Watch also allows customizable progress updates, letting users set an interval for how often to receive an update on their Activity progress. Users can also turn on or off alerts for goal completions related to moving, exercising and standing.

Achievements are also a feature of the Apple Watch, notifying users when they reach a milestone or a personal best. And there's a weekly summary option, which gives users a recap of their movement every Monday if they so choose.

Users are given the option to mirror messages settings as they are configured on their iPhone, or to set up a custom set of rules. For example, users can enable or disable alerts, repeat alerts, or read receipts separate from the rules configured on the iPhone.

Apple also gives users the ability to choose between sending an audio message or a dictation transcript from the Apple Watch. If the user prefers always using one or the other, they can set it up to automatically send that version.

The Apple Watch companion app also lets users change the default reply options on their device, creating customizable quick-access options from their wrist.

Calendar

As with Messages, users can have Calendar settings mirror their iPhone, or they can customize the options. These options include whether alerts are displayed on the wrist, and if the user wants time zone override enabled.

More

The More section of the Apple Watch companion serves as a catch-all for other functions of the device. These are broken down into the following categories:
  • Clock - 24 hour time, notifications, timers and alarms and more.
  • Contacts - Display contacts as they are on the iPhone, or customize how they are arranged.
  • Mail - Display Mail as it is on the iPhone, or customize alerts and appearance.

• Maps - Enable or disable turn alerts when using turn-by-turn directions.
  • Music - Choose a playlist to sync with the Watch, and set a size limit for local storage.
  • Photos - Choose photos to be saved locally on the Watch, and set a size limit.

• Phone - Mirror the iPhone's call display, or customize call settings. Configure respond with text options.
  • Stocks - Choose a default stock or mirror the iPhone's choice. Display current price, points change, percentage change or market cap.
  • Weather - Select the default city displayed in Glances and on clock face complications.

• Accessibility - Options for voiceover, zoom, grayscale, bold text, motion reduction, reduced transparency, on/off labels, mono audio, and the accessibility shortcut.
  • Health Privacy - Configure settings and information shared with the iOS 8 Health app.
  • Paired Unlock - Create a passcode for the Apple Watch, or set it to unlock automatically once the iPhone is unlocked.

• Layout - Change how Apple Watch icons are displayed in the grid on the home screen.
  • Motion & Fitness - Enable or disable heart rate and fitness tracking.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 150
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Some number of screens for a watch companion app.
  • Reply 2 of 150
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    And this is why ?Watch will wipe out all supposed competition. It's called being part of the world largest and best [S] walled garden [/S]... err I mean eco system. :)

I see Kasper's battery is running a bit low there! :\
  • Reply 3 of 150
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    ireland wrote: »
    Some number of screens for a watch companion app.

I'm guessing it's a one and done setup and not something one will have to access that often.
  • Reply 4 of 150
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member
    Last year, an AT&T salesman showed me all the features of his smartwatch. Most involved customizations like that described above. Was I impressed?

No, watches are for telling time. As long as they do that I'm happy. I don't need changing faces for them. If I were style-obsessed enough to care, owning several watches would be cheaper and simpler.

Nor do I need a watch that takes my pulse. I used to be on the nursing staff at a hospital. I can take my own pulse rate in a few seconds.

I'm sure Apple won't have any trouble selling millions of these watches. But for me they're a solution in search of a problem. Before the iPhone came out, I spent several years searching in vain for a cell phone that did what it does. I've not been in any search for a new and improved watch.
  • Reply 5 of 150
    I am significantly intrigued at the possibilities this device will bring. Apple clearly understands the potential. I have gone from skeptical to very interested...Can't wait to see how this develops.
  • Reply 6 of 150
    jsmythe00 wrote: »
    I'm still looking/wanting for a reason to buy this. The more I read about what it can do the less it addresses what I need or what apple thinks I need.

With that said, this will blow the competition out the water by far. It will be the best smart watch on the market.

Buy one to be loyal and a good Apple customer and help my AAPL :)
  • Reply 7 of 150
    rogifan wrote: »
    I'm guessing it's a one and done setup and not something one will have to access that often.

This is where more Siri integration would help. It would be great to be able to set most anything up on a Mac, iDevice or an ?Watch (paired with the iPhone) via Siri. I can't wait for OS X to allow this too. It occurred to me yesterday while trouble shooting a Logic Pro X issue that I would have loved to be able to ask Siri to run the Help menus for me as both hands were involved with guitars, wires, interface boxes etc.. The problem was sorted by using the built in Help and that could all have been accessed verbally and saved my a lot of hassle.
  • Reply 8 of 150
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

I think the Apple Watch will work "out of the box".  You can then configure it using your iPhone and Apple has thought through what people will want to possibly change.  I don't think it makes it complex and Apple will probably make all those complexities sink into the background and just "work".  That's why it's going to be a success.

Personally, these screens get me excited for what is coming!

• Reply 9 of 150
    At several hundred $$ for one watch, who is going to be changing their Apple watch every year or two or three years? I have a nice Oris, cost me about the same as a mid range iWatch, but I've had it since 2003 and have no desire to change it anytime soon. I can see how Swatch became popular, because their watches start at a low price, so one customer can buy several.
    I'm sorry, but I feel the smart watch is something looking for a market and that market will become rapidly saturated. Even more so than the iPad market, where the upgrade period is double or treble the iPhone.
    Not that it will be an initial failure, it will sell in the first year....but it will not sell like the iPhone has or the iPad has.
  • Reply 10 of 150

Ridiculous.

If watches are for telling time, then aren't phones made for making calls? Then why get all of the functionality of an iPhone?

I assume you're using an old Motorola Razr then.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

...watches are for telling time.

• Reply 11 of 150
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    rsbell wrote: »
    ....Motorola Razr....

Best cell phone ever.
  • Reply 12 of 150
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    inkling wrote: »
    No, watches are for telling time.

Then you either need to change your definition of watch or stop considering ?Watch a watch the way you would have had to change one or the other for iPhone.
  • Reply 14 of 150
    woodbine wrote: »
    At several hundred $$ for one watch, who is going to be changing their Apple watch every year or two or three years?

1) I know people that buy new watches, suits, and cars every year. I don't, and I assume you don't, but others do.

2) Why assume that you'd have to buy a new ?Watch every year? Are you basing this off how you purchase an iPhone?
  • Reply 15 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TechProd1gy View Post

I am significantly intrigued at the possibilities this device will bring. Apple clearly understands the potential. I have gone from skeptical to very interested...Can't wait to see how this develops.

I'm sure there is a lot of potential... but... unlike the iPhone and the iPad which seemed to be filling a gap, I just can't see the Apple Watch taking off right away (I agree with Inkling... they're a solution in search of a problem). Over time I can see there might be added functionality that will increase its popularity but as far as convenience being one of the benefits... hmmmm... between pulling an iPhone out of my pocket and working with something on my wrist... 6 of one... imho.

• Reply 16 of 150
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

No, watches are for telling time.

Why say such shit? For you, perhaps, but there is no unwritten law that declares an absolute fixed purpose for a given device for ever and ever. I understand that people don't like change, but c'mon!

But for me they're a solution in search of a problem.

It may seem that way and I certainly don't get excited about another device to carry around and keep tabs on that only extends the functionality of the most useful device I own and which I always carry around anyway. But until we see what added value a wearable might bring to the equation I'll keep a positive outlook. For me the most useful would the health aspect. Tracking health could be useful for millions of people and potentially improve health care services. As for opening doors and turning on lights - well my phone is in my pocket should I feel the need to go all digital.

• Reply 17 of 150
    (I agree with Inkling... they're a solution in search of a problem.

That phrase gets used way too much around here when you really to mean to say, "I don't have a particular use for this product."

What problem are they imagining or hoping creates itself? You know the same was said about the iPod when it launched. "What's wrong with Apple?" "Nobody will pay $525* for an I-POD!" "They're done for now!"

If you want actual solutions in search of a problem I can show you a dozens, if not hundreds, of old infomercials and As Seen On TV ads spanning multiple decades.

_ _ _

Well before there were whispers of the iWatch preceding last year's announcement of ?Watch I had detailed many features that would make my life easier with a wrist-worn device. I mentioned how sensors could know how if the device is removed (something we know exists in the first edition so that the device will have to be authenticated again when using ?Pay on ?Watch**) which could lead to an auto-locking of your Mac, iPhone, iPad if you get too far away, which could help with security (not yet a stated feature). I also mentioned that it could monitor your activity (mentioned), as well as sleep tracking (not mentioned, surely due to the current rumoured requirement of having to charge nightly), both of which are very common with fitness trackers.

The only feature that I find to be useful that I didn't anticipate is Apple Maps giving you walking directions on ?Watch with subtle vibrations. That's a brilliant option that would allow you to both not look at or listen to your iPhone when walking around a city thereby allowing you to site see while still going to a particular destination.

* Adjusted for inflation.
    ** Yet another clue that should lead one to abduce that ?Watch can be used independently of a tethered iPhone. cc: [@]Dick Applebaum[/@]
  • Reply 18 of 150
    imatimat Posts: 209member

For me this companion app will be the biggest reason why Apple Watch will not sell much. Apple has long been criticized for the lack of "customization" but it was made on purpose to favor immediate use and ease of use.

"Look, I have a problem with my watch"

"Let me fiddle through thousands of switches and pages and find it"

That's what Microsoft is about, not apple.

I cannot customize the color of the minutes on the watch face? Who cares!! It just works.

That is what Apple used to be all about. If you had the skills, on OS X, you could customize all of it, with scripts and even Automator. But you didn't HAVE TO. You COULD.

Now you have to fiddle around a complicated setting process to be able to use your watch.

Why?! The engineers seem to be winning at Apple.

Buy the Watch.

Put it on your Wrist.

Watch says "Hello! I'm Apple Watch"

10 seconds automatic configuration.

End of story.

Then, if you WANT, then you can have the mickey mouse face or whatever, but not like that. Not on an endless list of switches you have to turn on and off each with sub-menu.

No. Some icons, the watch face should be selectable "cover flow style" with the face being animated on the iPhone screen live telling time.

Something along these lines.

But not what I see.

I don't like it a single bit.

I think I'll buy the Withings Activite Pop instead. It emobodies what I expected from Apple much better.

Also, I am curious about how often will Apple update the HW. If it is yearly I'll never buy it.

It has to be at least every two years. Otherwise I won't spend that amount of money for a product that gets old in 12 months.

• Reply 19 of 150
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Get ready for a big Apple flop. http://money.cnn.com/2015/02/04/technology/apple-watch-flop/index.html

First line of said article:

Quote:

The Apple Watch is going to be a flop. Well, in Apple terms anyway.

pazuzu fell for the click-bait.

• Reply 20 of 150
    paxman wrote: »

It may seem that way and I certainly don't get excited about another device to carry around and keep tabs on that only extends the functionality of the most useful device I own and which I always carry around anyway. But until we see what added value a wearable might bring to the equation I'll keep a positive outlook. For me the most useful would the health aspect. Tracking health could be useful for millions of people and potentially improve health care services. As for opening doors and turning on lights - well my phone is in my pocket should I feel the need to go all digital.

You are right. People fixate on how 'they' perceive the world assuming 'they' are correct.

Here is some fun trivia on the topic of time.

Time itself (as in the time of day, not Einstein's take) is a relatively (oops) new concept in the way we accept it today. Back in England when the railways started, sundials were still used. This was fine with horse travel but the trains started arriving on a coast to cost trip before they'd left. It was impossible to create a printed time table that didn't look like something from Dr. Who (not that he was there then .. or was he?). The railways pushed and got standardized time based on London's time GMT .. and at the back then the papers were full of people objecting as this now meant the sun was in the wrong place at any given 'time' in the UK anywhere west of London.