iPhone users can now reload their Starbucks Card with Apple Pay

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2015
The official Starbucks application for iOS was updated on Wednesday to add support for Apple Pay, allowing users to quickly reload their Starbucks Card with the press of a fingertip.

With integrated Apple Pay support now in version 3.2.1 of the Starbucks app, users can add funds to their Starbucks Card without the need to enter any payment information or passwords. Apple Pay in-app support means a user's credit card information is securely used to complete the transaction.

Apple Pay utilizes the secure credit card enclave found in the iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3, so support is limited to Apple's latest lineup of iOS devices.

The latest update also enhances the menu within the Starbucks app. Starting with version 3.2.1, users can find additional calorie information on menu items.

The update also enhances the experience for those using Mobile Order & Pay capabilities in Portland, Ore. Finally, various bug and stability issues have also been addressed.

Starbucks was announced as a future supporter of Apple Pay for in-app purchases when the service was unveiled last year. The coffee maker has not indicated that it is planning to install NFC point-of-sale terminals for Apple Pay's tap-to-pay e-wallet functionality, however.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46

Seems like it’d just be easier to, you know, use Apple Pay for the payments instead of a pointless middle man card.

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Nice...I guess. Personally, I see no reason for the Starbucks card if one is using Apple Pay

Great likes think a mind.

• Reply 2 of 46

Nice...I guess. Personally, I see no reason for the Starbucks card if one is using Apple Pay, unless it is because your order preferences are attached to their app?

• Reply 3 of 46
    The SBUX 'middleman' advantage in this case includes its own rewards program (every 12th purchase is free, and some other goodies)
  • Reply 4 of 46
    tgr1tgr1 Posts: 33member

They don't take Apple Pay directly and I doubt they ever will because of all the customer data they collect.

Reloading on the go on the app was a huge pain. This is much more convenient.

• Reply 5 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kenliles View Post

The SBUX 'middleman' advantage in this case includes its own rewards program (every 12th purchase is free, and some other goodies)

CVS and Target really need to get on board with this.

• Reply 6 of 46
    morkymorky Posts: 200member
    Kee-rash. At least it does for me when I try to reload card with ApplePay. Rebooted phone. Kaboom.
  • Reply 7 of 46
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Seems like it’d just be easier to, you know, use Apple Pay for the payments instead of a pointless middle man card.

Starbucks has a rewards system that's tied to the APP (free beverage for your birthday for ex.). Simply paying wouldn't be part of that?

Also, you know, THIS little detail: "Starbucks was announced as a future supporter of Apple Pay for in-app purchases when the service was unveiled last year. The coffee maker has not indicated that it is planning to install NFC point-of-sale terminals for Apple Pay's tap-to-pay e-wallet functionality, however."

• Reply 8 of 46
    Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Starbucks has a rewards system

I’d consider that an oxymoron, but thanks for explaining the potential use! :p

• Reply 9 of 46
    I think Starbucks wants to keep its own cards because many customers will: (a) never spend the entirety of the balance, leaving the breakage for Starbucks to keep (b) take a long time to spend the money, providing Starbucks with an insurance company-like float. Either way, Starbucks benefits, much like companies benefit from selling gift cards.
  • Reply 10 of 46
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Well that was overdue, but appreciated none the less.

• Reply 11 of 46
    The best reason for using an Apple Pay or a credit/debit card reload is that you don't have to make multiple entries to you credit/debit card account, thus simplifying account reconciliation.
  • Reply 12 of 46
    Good comment.

Additionally, Starbucks at the moment prides itself on being the merchant with the highest volume of electronic purchases. I'm sure it wants to retain that crown for awhile longer.
  • Reply 13 of 46
    edit: Pipped by [@]jfc1138[/@].
  • Reply 14 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

edit: Pipped by @jfc1138.

Apologies: I have no idea what just happened in the quote box.

Anyway, is there a "rewards" card that doesn't involve paying like the grocery store ones that would give those sorts of incentives? Until the app I never bothered.

ETA: No, it looks like it's only more than one of those grocery "club" cards and payment is required.

https://www.starbucks.com/card

• Reply 15 of 46
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    I have no idea what just happened in the quote box.

Anyway, is there a "rewards" card that doesn't involve paying like the grocery store ones that would give those sorts of incentives? Until the app I never bothered.

I am not understanding either of your paragraphs.

By pipped, I'm saying you narrowly beat me to the answer/similar response, and since it's redundant to have the same answer twice I removed mine.
  • Reply 16 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

I am not understanding either of your paragraphs.

By pipped, I'm saying you narrowly beat me to the answer/similar response, and since it's redundant to have the same answer twice I removed mine.

Ah, I had just clicked to respond to your post while you were editing it: so I mistakenly thought I'd somehow hit a button that had done that change.,.

The other thing was a look to see whether the Starbucks card was a card that was like the grocery store incentive cards where you don't pay with it, it just gets you some discounts when rung up along with purchases, a loyalty card system which the Starbucks card has some attributes of (the "rewards"), but it appears the rewards, from the link, are solely connected to using the Starbucks card to pay for things directly.

• Reply 17 of 46
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    Ah, I had just clicked to respond to your post while you were editing it: so I mistakenly thought I'd somehow hit a button that had done that change.

Yeah, all good.
    The other thing was a look to see whether the Starbucks card was a card that was like the grocery store incentive cards where you don't pay with it, it just gets you some discounts when rung up along with purchases, a loyalty card system which the Starbucks card has some attributes of (the "rewards"), but it appears the rewards, from the link, are solely connected to using the Starbucks card to pay for things directly.

That's correct. You charge up your Starbucks card (or account, really) and then each transaction will get added to your account. When you want to redeem you just use the card or app that's tied to your account, but need to tell them. They'll hit a special button button that will check for a free purchase instead of charging your card. Oddly, they do need to differentiate on their PoS terminal if it's a birthday or a regular reward.

The nice things about the reward (like the purchase) is they aren't based on a number value. I typically get something not to pricey — yet still pricey, it's Starbucks after all — and then get my $5 mocha espresso for my free one. I limit it to my free one mostly because it's 400 calories(!).

Of course, some will say that they just use that to get you to buy their overpriced crap yada yada yada, but I'd be there between 5-6am most mornings to study, so why not get something extra out of it.
  • Reply 18 of 46
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Their rewards program is linked to their card. Can't do that with Apple Pay exclusively... yet.

This method works just fine. Personally, I would prefer not to have my bank account dinged for $2.55 a few times a week. I'd rather just load up the card when I see fit and use that. It's in Passbook anyway.

• Reply 19 of 46
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

CVS and Target really need to get on board with this.

Target already supports in-App Apple Pay. Just not in their stores.  Who knows what CVS will do.  For now, they just shut NFC off entirely. 

• Reply 20 of 46

Starbucks can burn for all I care.