How Can I Backup iTunes based on Playlist - not artist or track names?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited March 2015

I got a new MacBook Air, that means I have now only 1/3 of internal data storage compared to my old internal HD.  

I bought a 256GB USB 3.0.  I want to leave 35 of my 50 original "Playlist" on the USB and the other 15 playlists on the new MacBook Air HD.  

-  How can I split up my 9000 song library, based solely on Playlist content and not individual tracks/artist?  Many of which I don't know by name.

-  Can I point to 2 different HD locations to find the tracks?

-  Is there any iTunes managing/archiving software that helps me to backup using "Playlists" with their individual content?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member

I don't know of any easy ways to accomplish what you are looking for. I believe that you are going to have to do a lot of manual manipulation to get there. I don't know of any specific ones to do what you ask for, but you might find it in Doug's Applescripts at http://dougscripts.com/itunes/ -- assuming you are running OS X (you had better be if you have a new Mac!).

You can export all of the songs from a playlist by simply selecting all of the songs and dragging them to a specified folder in the Finder. This creates copies of the files and does not move them from their original location.

You can create and use multiple iTunes libraries. Hold down the option key (shift key if on Windows) while opening iTunes. It will prompt you to create a new one or open an existing one.

Yes, each song can point to a different file location (even on separate drives) than any other. Be wary of using the iTunes organize library options if you do so.

• Reply 2 of 2

great information