Macbook Air won't boot

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited March 2015

Hi. 

There's an issue with my sister's Macbook Air (2012 model I think - it's the one with the HD4000 graphics).

She was playing The Sims and then suddenly the computer froze. It would just display a freeze frame of the game. At this point the computer was pretty much unresponsive. We couldn't minimize the game and pressing the Power button did nothing (we could however adjust the display lighting, so it wasn't totally unresponsive).

We unplugged the charger and let the battery drain. When the battery had fully drained we plugged in the charger. It was indicated on the charger that it was infact charging (the orange light). It was also able to fully charge (indicated by the green light). However at this point the computer is totally unresponsive. Absolutely nothing happens if you press or press and hold the power button. The display is just black and it makes no sounds.

Anyone who has a clue whether there's an easy fix or if it has to be sent in for repair?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    It sounds like a component has failed somewhere. If it was the SSD then it would still boot so it could be a motherboard or RAM failure. You should take it into a local Apple Store to get it checked out.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member

I'll agree in that something on the hardware is most likely dead, but it might be worthwhile to try this (taken from the FAQs here http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/32364/faq-check-here-first-if-you-have-problems ):

While restarting, to return all memory settings to the factory state, you can "Zap the PRAM".

Press and hold Command-Option-P-R until you hear the boot sound of your machine.

Keep held until the fourth boot sound for a full purge.

Release the keys and allow the machine to boot up.