Apple releases second beta of OS X 10.10.3 with focus on new Photos app

Posted:
in macOS edited February 2015
Apple on Monday seeded developers with another beta version of its forthcoming OS X 10.10.3 update, asking testers to focus primarily on the new Photos app with additional attention paid to Wi-Fi captive network support and screen sharing.

A number of known issues remain in OS X 10.10.3 build 14D87h, many revolving around Photos, the new iPhoto replacement. Apple continues to caution that some user interface elements and animations may not display correctly, while dragging and dropping photos and videos from Photos to Mail may not work.

Photo edits synchronized from iOS devices -- a major selling point for Photos -- may not appear until the photo is opened in Edit view on the Mac. iCloud storage is also problematic, as storage estimates for iCloud Photo Library may be larger than required if duplicate photos are found.

Additionally, users may find problems when upgrading their iPhoto library. The progress bar may not report the correct status, and imported videos may display an incorrect capture time.

Apple also asks developers to evaluate performance when connecting to Wi-Fi captive portals, such as those found at coffee shops or hotels, using Safari.

OS X 10.10.3 is now available to registered developers through the Apple Developer Center or as an update through the Mac App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10

Why does Apple have to replace the name iPhoto? It seems like a new branding scheme -- but, why?

They could have a brand new app and just convert the databases if it's incompatible -- seems like a lot less confusion. 

I could only imagine some legal/licensing issue that would cause this kind of lame change of names for no reason.

• Reply 2 of 10
    Why does Apple have to replace the name iPhoto? It seems like a new branding scheme -- but, why?

They could have a brand new app and just convert the databases if it's incompatible -- seems like a lot less confusion. 

I could only imagine some legal/licensing issue that would cause this kind of lame change of names for no reason.
    I don't mind it being called just photos. I think the i thing is overdone. Calling it apple watch instead of iWatch was also a good idea in my opinion. I think iPhone, iPad, and iMac are good names.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    Because lots of companies tacked an "i" in front of their products to leverage Apple's success.

iPhone will eventually become Apple Phone.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Fake_William_Shatner View Post

Isn't that exactly what they're doing?

• Reply 5 of 10
    I would love to see the database storage method go away. I just don't see the point in not leaving pictures as individual files.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Originally Posted by clexman View Post

I would love to see the database storage method go away. I just don't see the point in not leaving pictures as individual files.

Unless I'm missing something, you can still option-click on the library and view individual files right? Is this not the case with Photos?

• Reply 7 of 10
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

Has anyone else experienced or heard of anyone experiencing kernel panic issues with 10.10.3?

The first beta killed my Mac mini and forced it into a constant kernel panic loop that was unrecoverable. Had to be wiped.

This second beta, my iMac was fine until I started installing an app yesterday and the entire Mac suddenly went black, kernel panic, endless loop, unrecoverable. Had to restore from Time Machine.

Just find it curious that it would happen to both of my Macs, yet haven't read about it happening elsewhere. Otherwise 10.10.3 is very solid.

• Reply 8 of 10

The first Beta of 10.10.3 kept having webkit crashes, with subsequent failures of everything that uses webkit. I'm sorry to hear your installation went full on Kernel Panic. Based simply on the inability to get the browser to work for longer than 15 minutes after cold booting, I decided to roll back to 10.10.2. I will give 10.10.3 a bit more time to mature before experimenting with it again.

• Reply 9 of 10
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    clexman wrote: »

it is easy enough to open the Library in Photos, iPhoto or Aperture and access the master files at Finder level when needed. However, once I realized I could make endless smart folders in Aperture a light bulb went on for me. Now I have folders by years as well as by cameras and a host of other criteria I find navigating tens of thousands of images so much easier than in LightRoom which I also use but is limited to Finder Level controls.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    pmz wrote: »
    Has anyone else experienced or heard of anyone experiencing kernel panic issues with 10.10.3?

The first beta killed my Mac mini and forced it into a constant kernel panic loop that was unrecoverable. Had to be wiped.

This second beta, my iMac was fine until I started installing an app yesterday and the entire Mac suddenly went black, kernel panic, endless loop, unrecoverable. Had to restore from Time Machine.

Just find it curious that it would happen to both of my Macs, yet haven't read about it happening elsewhere. Otherwise 10.10.3 is very solid.

Not sure I'd describe your experiences as 'otherwise very solid' lol. It's been fine for me on several Macs including a Mac mini, two MBPs and a new Mac Pro. You should report this to Apple as it seems to be something your end, perhaps they can help. I assume you are a developer, I don't think 10.10.3 is Public beta level yet is it? If it is public I don't know what the reporting procedure is to be honest.