Apple CEO Tim Cook visits Israel, meets with President Reuven Rivlin

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2015
Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook was in Israel on Wednesday, and had a meeting with President Reuven Rivlin, as Apple is prepared to open a new office in the country.

There was much speculation for weeks about an impending visit from Cook to Israel, and that was confirmed on Wednesday when the Apple CEO sat down with Israel's president. Photos of a discussion between Cook and Rivlin were shared by Inbal Orpaz.

Cook's appearance coincides with the opening of a new research and development office in Herzliya Pituach, about 20 minutes north of Tel Aviv. The building will house 800 employees who worked for flash memory maker Anobit and motion sensing company PrimeSense, both of which were acquired by Apple.

It's expected that Cook will commemorate the opening of the new offices as part of his visit to the region. The 12,500-square-meter facility will house some 800 workers.

Apple has a significant corporate presence in Israel, with additional research and development sites in Ra'anana and Hafia.

Cook's stop in Israel comes a day after the Apple CEO was in Germany, where he visited the offices of tabloid publication Bild, and also met with some of his company's retail workers. While in Germany, Cook is alleged to have let slip that the upcoming Apple Watch could have greater water resistance than expected, and may be wearable while in the shower.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Great move Mr. Cook!!
  • Reply 2 of 12

Good stuff. Work with where the talent is. Israel has a lot of very intelligent, very capable people.

• Reply 3 of 12

Hope Tim balances it out with a trip to the West Bank - lots of talent there and whats left of Gaza

(flood gate opened)

• Reply 4 of 12
    I just gotta' wonder ...

When President [I] Reuven Rivlin [/I] visits Paris -- does he stay at a hotel on the [I] Rue de Rivoli [/I] ;)
  • Reply 5 of 12
    buckalec wrote: »
    Hope Tim balances it out with a trip to the West Bank - lots of talent there and whats left of Gaza
    (flood gate opened)

You bring up a good point ...

I can remember, in the late 1950s, discussing the conflicts in Ireland and the middle east with co-workers.

It seemed that the conflicts had gone on forever -- with each side trying to right wrongs committed, long ago, against their ancestors ... creating new wrongs for their descendants to fight over ...

There seemed to be no solution -- and no way for the participants to take peaceful advantage of the benefits of the 20th century.

Now, some 60 years later, the situation in Ireland appears to be under control -- and, AFAICT, all benefit from the peaceful environment.

It gives me hope that there could be a similar opportunity for the Mideast.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

Originally Posted by buckalec View Post

(flood gate opened)

Is it particularly wise for an openly gay man to visit the West Bank? Obviously it isn't the same as the Gaza strip in this regard (where it's flat out illegal), but still... this bit from wiki would concern me: "Gay Palestinians frequently seek refuge in Israel fearing for their lives, especially fearing death from members of their own families."

• Reply 7 of 12
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    jamesmcd wrote: »

Is it particularly wise for an openly gay man to visit the West Bank? Obviously it isn't the same as the Gaza strip in this regard (where it's flat out illegal), but still... this bit from wiki would concern me: "Gay Palestinians frequently seek refuge in Israel fearing for their lives, especially fearing death from members of their own families."

A fair comment.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    The 'greater water resistance than expected, and may be wearable while in the shower' comment is welcome. I guess that also means a quick dip in the pool too or kayaking? We Floridians are still doing such things while the poor folks up north dig out, so sorry to bring to up.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I just gotta' wonder ...

When President Reuven Rivlin visits Paris -- does he stay at a hotel on the Rue de Rivoli image

Sure, there's Le Meurice.

:D

Or maybe he just stays at the Ritz, Le Crillon or Georges V like normal high-profile peeps do.

• Reply 10 of 12

That makes no sense. He has no family there, so why would they care about him?

• Reply 11 of 12
    simply258 wrote: »

That makes no sense. He has no family there, so why would they care about him?

$$$

Apple is pouring a lot of money into their tech sector and their economy.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I just gotta' wonder ...

When President Reuven Rivlin visits Paris -- does he stay at a hotel on the Rue de Rivoli image

He does; and he eats ravioli while he's there. :)