Apple's iWork for iCloud goes platform agnostic, open to everyone

Posted:
in iCloud edited March 2015
Apple on Thursday removed the beta tag from its Apple ID creation tool, granting anyone, on any platform access to access to the iWork for iCloud Web-based productivity suite.

The rollout comes less than two weeks after Apple launched an Apple ID creation tool that enabled users access to iWork for iCloud on non-Apple devices, including computers and mobile devices running Windows and Android.

Prior to the open enrollment option, Apple ID and its trappings were reserved for owners of Mac, iPhone, iPad and iPod hardware.

As seen in the above screenshot, users visiting iCloud.com can click on the new sign-up link to create an Apple ID account, which opens the door to select Apple online services. For now, access is limited to the Pages, Numbers and Keynote Web apps and a Settings page. A further restriction limits online storage space to 1GB for users without Apple hardware.

To create a new Apple ID, new users must furnish their name, email address, date of birth and set up three security questions for password retrieval. As noted previously, the process can be accomplished on any modern browser, including Internet Explorer for Windows machines.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Prior to the open enrollment option, Apple ID and its trappings were restricted to owners of Mac, iPhone, iPad and iPod hardware.

Nonsense.

For years, it has been very easy to create an Apple ID at appleid.apple.com from any web browser. It has been one of the easy ways to create an Apple ID without having to provide credit card information, for iTunes Store/App Store free downloads.

Note that Windows users have been using iTunes for years and years and you don't even need to connect an iPod to use iTunes. You can just use it like a music jukebox.

• Reply 2 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Nonsense.

For years, it has been very easy to create an Apple ID at appleid.apple.com from any web browser. It has been one of the easy ways to create an Apple ID without having to provide credit card information, for iTunes Store/App Store free downloads.

Note that Windows users have been using iTunes for years and years and you don't even need to connect an iPod to use iTunes. You can just use it like a music jukebox.

While you are absolutely correct, the real story here is that the iWork suite is now available to everyone without needing an iDevice or a Mac. The author wasn't exactly clear on that fact, and instead made it about the creation of the Apple ID.

• Reply 3 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston View Post

While you are absolutely correct, the real story here is that the iWork suite is now available to everyone without needing an iDevice or a Mac. The author wasn't exactly clear on that fact, and instead made it about the creation of the Apple ID.

I've used the iWork suite on a PC before. 

• Reply 4 of 31

I'm pretty sure you could use Chrome, IE, and Firefox for various iCloud web apps before today.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Yes, you could create an Apple ID online previously with no Apple hardware, but it's nice how the process is not much more user friendly and accessible through icloud.com.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member
    Get back to me when iCloud has [URL=https://developers.google.com/drive/web/downloads]real APIs[/URL]
  • Reply 7 of 31
    xixo wrote: »
    Get back to me when iCloud has real APIs

Get back to me when Google stops scanning all data stored with Google Docs. ;)
  • Reply 8 of 31
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by xixo View Post

iCloud is not Google Drive, nor does it try to be. 

• Reply 9 of 31
    It's important to note that there appears to be more to come. iWork is just the beginning. If you look at the underlying code, you'll find references to more functions, including calendars, reminders, mail, contacts, and more. This makes a lot of sense if you consider that the free iCloud Control Panel for Windows allows for superb, free, integration for those features within Microsoft Outlook. This is functionality that GoOgle abdicated years ago when they dropped their Outlook plugin.
    Note that the code does NOT show support for those functions that are only available to users that own i-Devices (e.g., FMI) that exists on a login for someone who does own an i-Device. So obviously the code for Apple-owners has already been culled for this page, making me think that the other functions are in the works too.
    I can't wait -- it will be great to have a free, cloud-based calendar/reminder system that works for both Apple and Outlook users without having to fork out for expensive Exchange or Outlook plugins.
  • Reply 10 of 31

Google Docs? What's Google Docs?

Kids all over America will be growing up with iWork apps as oldsters cling on to Google Docs and Microsoft Office until the grave.

• Reply 11 of 31
    iWork is still useless, because Pages doesn't do paragraph numbering (and no, number lists don't cut it). Lawyers have to have paragraph numbering. If lawyers can't use Pages, then businesses can't use Pages. If businesses can't use Pages, then anyone working at a business that creates documents is going to use MS word at home because that's what they are familiar with.
    I've been bitching about this for years. Why the F'ck can't Apple add F'ng paragraph numbering to Pages.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    ash471 wrote: »
    iWork is still useless, because Pages doesn't do paragraph numbering (and no, number lists don't cut it). Lawyers have to have paragraph numbering. If lawyers can't use Pages, then businesses can't use Pages. If businesses can't use Pages, then anyone working at a business that creates documents is going to use MS word at home because that's what they are familiar with.
    I've been bitching about this for years. Why the F'ck can't Apple add F'ng paragraph numbering to Pages.

:???: I can see how a document that requires paragraph numbering wouldn't be able to use Pages, but all your other leaps sound nutty. You even say that "iWork is still useless," not just Pages, but also Numbers and Keynote, because of this lack of paragraph numbering. I've honestly never had to number a paragraph for any professional reason so why isn't Pages useless to me or why has Apple added it if the apps has no use without this one feature?
  • Reply 13 of 31
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member
    applezilla wrote: »
    Google Docs? What's Google Docs?

Kids all over America will be growing up with iWork apps as oldsters cling on to Google Docs and Microsoft Office until the grave.
    Business is what drives adoption of Word processing. If businesses don't use iWork, the youngsters will switch. My kids all have Apple devices but use Word because that's what I use for work and I buy it for my home computers so that I have compatibility.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    :???: I can see how a document that requires paragraph numbering wouldn't be able to use Pages, but all your other leaps sound nutty. You even say that "iWork is still useless," not just Pages, but also Numbers and Keynote, because of this lack of paragraph numbering. I've honestly never had to number a paragraph for any professional reason so why isn't Pages useless to me or why has Apple added it if the apps has no use without this one feature?
    You and Apple don't get it.
    Most of the critical documents in a new company are drafted by lawyers. Contracts, operating agreements, NDAs, employment agreements, supply agreements, distribution agreements,financing documents, intellectual property, etc.
    A business has to be able to receive and edit documents from their lawyers. Since lawyers can't use Pages, most businesses have to use Word. If they already have Word, it makes no sense to Pages and the lack of features prevents proper importing of word documents into pages.
    It is just plain stupid that Apple won't add basic features that lawyers need to do their job.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    You and Apple don't get it.
    Most of the critical documents in a new company are drafted by lawyers. Contracts, operating agreements, NDAs, employment agreements, supply agreements, distribution agreements,financing documents, intellectual property, etc.
    A business has to be able to receive and edit documents from their lawyers. Since lawyers can't use Pages, most businesses have to use Word.
    It is just plain stupid that Apple won't add basic features that lawyers need to do their job.

You don't get it. Not having that one feature doesn't mean the app is useless to everybody. A company won't use Preview when Adobe CS is needed, nor will they use Pages or TextEdit when Word is needed, etc. Your making a ridiculous claim that all of iWork is useless because Pages doesn't support a certain use type. If Pages doesn't offer a feature then submit a request to Apple and then use MS Word or whatever suits your needs, but don't go making exaggerated claims.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    slurpy wrote: »
    Yes, you could create an Apple ID online previously with no Apple hardware, but it's nice how the process is not much more user friendly and accessible through icloud.com.

Good point, many seem to forget this. The two are nothing alike.

I trust the feedback you gave to Apple was in a kind way, without the F word. Because bitching about it won't do you diddlysquad. It's usually people with manners the world takes notice of. It will get you much further in life.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

image I can see how a document that requires paragraph numbering wouldn't be able to use Pages, but all your other leaps sound nutty. You even say that "iWork is still useless," not just Pages, but also Numbers and Keynote, because of this lack of paragraph numbering. I've honestly never had to number a paragraph for any professional reason so why isn't Pages useless to me or why has Apple added it if the apps has no use without this one feature?

I think Keynote is a good product, Pages has its limits but is rather OK, but Numbers is absolutely useless in a business environment.  Not being able to link a cell from Numbers file to a cell in other Numbers file, is an  show stopper if you want to do some serious financial processing in a business envrionment.  Or typing =fact(50) in a cell of empty sheet, detecting how ridiculously bad the automatic number formatting is.

• Reply 18 of 31

Of course, students can get Office 365 for free:

http://www.microsoft.com/education/ww/StudentAdvantage/Pages/hed-install.aspx

Or the simpler version for free via your Live.com account. 

• Reply 19 of 31
    xixo wrote: »

iCloud is not Google Drive, nor does it try to be. 

More's the pity.

Cluster is part of the word that springs to mind when thinking about iCloud Drive. Apple badly needed Dropbox's skills when they failed to buy them years ago. They still do.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    philboogie wrote: »

Good point, many seem to forget this. The two are nothing alike.

I trust the feedback you gave to Apple was in a kind way, without the F word. Because bitching about it won't do you diddlysquad. It's usually people with manners the world takes notice of. It will get you much further in life.

Words that Slurpy needs to heed, if he wishes to get anywhere in his life.

Blindly swearing in a rage in every post is fit for the mental asylum, but not for engaging in constructive discourse, something essential in the world of work.