AppleInsider podcast discusses Apple's March 9 event, net neutrality, Pebble Time & more

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2015
The latest AppleInsider podcast is now available to download and subscribe in iTunes or SoundCloud, with detailed analysis of this week's news, including Apple's invitations to a March 9 media event, the FCC voting to enforce net neutrality, Pebble funding its new smartwatch using Kickstarter (again), Google buying Softcard, and more.

This week, AppleInsider staff member members Mikey Campbell, Victor Marks and Stephen Robles discuss the top stories:
  • Apple announces March 9 event

• FCC votes to enforce Net Neutrality

• Pebble goes to Kickstarter to fund new model

• Google looks to buy Softcard

• Apple patent outlines possible collaboration over FaceTime
The show is available on Apple's iTunes. You can listen to the podcast and subscribe via this link:

You can also listen to it embedded via SoundCloud below:

Show note links: Hosts: @mikeycampbell81, @vmarks and @stephenrobles

We'd appreciate your feedback and comments, as well as any questions that we can answer on future episodes. Send your responses to the AppleInsider Podcast at [email protected] or follow or tweet at us @appleinsider.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4

Thank you Mikey, Victor and Stephen for this podcast. 

I like the length of them; just long enough for a whisky. The highlight for me was Victor's argument with Stephen over Google fibre; this amused me a lot! 

It strikes me that you may wish to make an extended podcast on March 13th after the Apple Event of March 9th. 

• Reply 2 of 4
    One of the podcasters had a hint of the danger of giving control of the internet to the government while the other two had no clue as to the danger or how innovation occurs. The group epitomizes this quote from Pam Geller:
    Public schools and academia produce zombies
    America today is increasingly anti-freedom, anti-truth, anti-ideas, anti-capitalsim %u2013 anti-reason.
    A nation built on a morality of reason has all but abandoned its foundational principles. Public schools and academia produce zombies %u2013 goose-steppers like the Hitler Youth %u2013 who are militant and violent in their imposition of the leftist/Islamic agenda. And when they do it, they congratulate themselves about how they have stood up against %u201Cfascism%u201D and %u201Cintolerance,%u201D when the intolerant fascists are they themselves. Intellectually, young Americans are the most docile conformists, no matter how vocally and self-righteously they declare themselves free. They have accepted as dogma all the philosophical beliefs of their elders of the hard left without question or exploration. A continuing negation of life and self. Articles: The Poo Generation

http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2015/02/the_poo_generation.html

Dan Kurt
  • Reply 3 of 4
    dan kurt wrote: »
    One of the podcasters had a hint of the danger of giving control of the internet to the government while the other two had no clue as to the danger or how innovation occurs. The group epitomizes this quote from Pam Geller:
    Public schools and academia produce zombies
    America today is increasingly anti-freedom, anti-truth, anti-ideas, anti-capitalsim %u2013 anti-reason.
    A nation built on a morality of reason has all but abandoned its foundational principles. Public schools and academia produce zombies %u2013 goose-steppers like the Hitler Youth %u2013 who are militant and violent in their imposition of the leftist/Islamic agenda. And when they do it, they congratulate themselves about how they have stood up against %u201Cfascism%u201D and %u201Cintolerance,%u201D when the intolerant fascists are they themselves. Intellectually, young Americans are the most docile conformists, no matter how vocally and self-righteously they declare themselves free. They have accepted as dogma all the philosophical beliefs of their elders of the hard left without question or exploration. A continuing negation of life and self. Articles: The Poo Generation
    <http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2015/02/the_poo_generation.html>;
    http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2015/02/the_poo_generation.html

Dan Kurt

That's quite a commentary, however the author makes a series of assumptions and observations that are laugh out loud funny due to their absurdity.

Connecting the "poo" motif to cultural decline is absurd primarily because the icon is a carryover from "emoji" that originated in Asian culture, where they have fewer hangups about such imagery and notions of cuteness are emphasized more. Is the author frightened of other cultures?

The authors comment on Lady Gaga I found particularly amusing as she seems blissfully unaware of the performer's career previous to her performance at the Oscars.

Your comments regarding a seeming disregard for matters surrounding freedom and the Constitution I agree with, but then I wonder what lessons you have learned from Ed Snowden? The author you linked to fails to connect increasing incursions on the Constitution by the Federal government to the various undeclared wars in which our country is engaged. The wars are more connected to the trampling of our freedoms than the apathy of the public, even as these issues are certainly interrelated at their core.

The author's comments on Ayn Rand and her Objectivism are a bit shallow, but Ayn was also a bit detached and snooty. I think if one accepts free markets and the primacy of individual rights, a person cannot pick and choose cultural winners and losers...the customer is always right, therefore if customers choose shoes and purses with smiling poo over something more intellectually and artistically pleasing, that is the free market at work and supply must meet demand.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    stephenroblesstephenrobles Posts: 91member, moderator, editor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Thank you Mikey, Victor and Stephen for this podcast. 

I like the length of them; just long enough for a whisky. The highlight for me was Victor's argument with Stephen over Google fibre; this amused me a lot! 

It strikes me that you may wish to make an extended podcast on March 13th after the Apple Event of March 9th. 

Glad you enjoyed it! We'll definitely do something special for the March 9 event.