split file

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
is there any utility programme to split large files ?

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    ummm care to give more detalis?

i think stuffit deluxe will do what you are asking tho... speaking of which, is it carbonized yet?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Stuffit Deluxe has been carbonized since Mac OS X Public Beta. Imagine my surprise when I found a new "old" app that didn't need Classic or a patch. However, even the current Stuffit software suite is TERRIBLY done. There's no support for files greater than 2 GB and there is still no support for file names longer than 31 characters.

I would suggest you try Rosetta for splitting and joining files. It's an excellent app and extremely useful for use with newsgroups. Look for it on VersionTracker.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Open a terminal window and type the following:

man split
  • Reply 4 of 5
    firehcfirehc Posts: 368member
    i use PC at work so, i need to split large files for transfer to my mac at home, and back and fourth,

any programme suggestion applicable in both PC & mac??

thanks
  • Reply 5 of 5
    [quote]Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent:

<strong>Open a terminal window and type the following:

man split</strong><hr></blockquote>I already knew that, but the CLI is not The Mac Way?.

firehc:

This is such a generic request, I doubt someone has taken the time to write a cross-platform app to handle it. Get and use Rosetta on your Mac and then get another small shareware app for your PC. I suggest checking download.com to find your Windows goodies.