Aerial footage shows off temporary building at site of Apple's March 9 event, likely Apple Watch dem

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited March 2015
Apple is building an annex to San Francisco's Yerba Buena Center, where the company is expected to further detail Apple Watch at a special event next week, fueling speculation that the construction will yield a large demonstration area for attendees.

Construction of the makeshift expansion began late last week, though the exact purpose of the build is unknown as workers have since erected barriers and covered the area with white cloth. It appears that Apple is customizing an existing building, as the tent-like portion is actually part of the center's structure.

With Apple primed to reveal additional Watch details at a special event on March 9, the company could potentially use the extra space for device demos.

As can be seen in the exclusive aerial footage of the site below, workers are still putting the finishing touches on the temporary structure ahead of next Monday's media presentation. The keynote is scheduled to kick off at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern.

Regarding the white facade, Apple pulled a similar move at the Apple Watch unveiling in September, when the company built a large freestanding structure next to the Flint Center for the Performing Arts. The building, which was much larger than the Yerba Buena add-on, housed an expansive demo floor for the Apple Watch, iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, all of which debuted on Sept. 9.

Last week, Apple sent out media invitations for a March 9 special event dubbed "Spring Forward," a reference to the fact that Saturday is when clocks will move forward in the U.S. for Daylight Saving Time. It's also a not-so-subtle hint that next Monday's presentation will focus largely on the upcoming Apple Watch, which is set to become available in April.

AppleInsider will be on hand at Monday's event in San Francisco, and will have full live coverage of the event. Readers can stay informed through the official AppleInsider app for iPhone and iPad, as well as on Facebook, Twitter and RSS.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Is there any chance that this event will include product announcements other than the Apple Watch?

• Reply 2 of 50
    Hmmm...September 9th and now March 9th.... first the 9th day of the 9th month and then the 9th day of the 3rd month...

what is Apple signaling with all the nines...? The answer is out there...
  • Reply 3 of 50
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Is there any chance that this event will include product announcements other than the Apple Watch?

Unfortunately it’s not looking that way.

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

what is Apple signaling with all the nines...?

Showing off iOS 9.

• Reply 4 of 50
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Hope there is more than AppleWatch. Not to diminish it in any way. I just hope there is more.

Retina MBA.
    AppleTV.

Something.
  • Reply 5 of 50
    darkpawdarkpaw Posts: 212member
    It would be nice if the 'official AppleInsider app' wouldn't show the story above the comments when I've just tapped to see only comments. So much scrolling.

Anyway, back on topic... The extra bit being built is probably just to demo the %uF8FFWatch. Nothing more, nothing less.
  • Reply 6 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Hmmm...September 9th and now March 9th.... first the 9th day of the 9th month and then the 9th day of the 3rd month...

Well, as long as we're engaging in zany theories ;), here's one of mine:

I think that the Apple Watch will be one of Apple's biggest revenue streams, second only to the iPhone, and will reach this level in only a few year's time. My evidence for this bullish stance?: cherry trees.

The auditorium for Apple Campus 2 is surrounded by cherry trees, which typically have a peak bloom time at the end of March, beginning of April. I would imagine that Apple would place a lot of value on any event that would take place during this time, which appears likely to coincide with the Apple Watch release schedule. By the time Apple has their first event in the new auditorium in 2017, I'd bet that the Apple Watch will have gained plenty of momentum, setting the stage for it to become the keystone for your digital life.

This would also mesh with Apple's announcement: Spring Forward (into the digital future with Apple Watch).

The end.

• Reply 7 of 50
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:

Well, there's always a chance. Whether or not it's particularly likely is a completely different question.

My own hunch is the answer is no, it is not likely that there will be other product announcements at this event although I would be happy to be wrong in this case.

A slight speed bump to the Macs would not merit any real time on the stage and besides, I'm not sure if new processor availability from Intel gybes with the timing of next week's event. I would expect new/more announcements at WWDC, particularly Macs.

The other product that has not been refreshed for a while is Apple TV, although I'm not convinced Apple would try to combine an Apple Watch debut with an Apple TV announcement.

• Reply 8 of 50
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Sure, but they'd be minor bumps they won't mind getting submerged in the watch frenzy. Anything they want noticed they won't pair with the watch announcement (if that's what this is...) that'd be the equivalent of when people announce bad news late Friday hoping something bigger comes along over the weekend to bury it.

• Reply 9 of 50
    Quote:

Not really sure it signals anything but who knows. Be interesting to find out

• Reply 10 of 50

I'm surprised that people aren't camped out watching every box that comes and goes. Do you think there will be more treadmills and people working out at this one? Or what real work activities will they be showing off?

• Reply 11 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PatchyThePirate View Post

Quote:

Spring Forward...

...to a trillion dollar market cap. :D

Count me in on the group hoping for more than ?Watch, but I don't think they'll get too crazy. There might be some brief updates on Apple at the beginning.

• Reply 12 of 50
    revenantrevenant Posts: 621member
    I wonder if they are poking fun at google's barges with these little structures. they are legal and temporary.
  • Reply 13 of 50
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    lkrupp wrote: »

Yes. There is a chance.

I would be surprised if there aren't new MBAs announced because I'm not sure if WWDC makes the most sense and I think next Autumn is a bit late. I am also expecting them to be 12" and Retina, and hopefully fan-less.
  • Reply 14 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Yes. There is a chance.

I would be surprised if there aren't new MBAs announced because I'm not sure if WWDC makes the most sense and I think next Autumn is a bit late. I am also expecting them to be 12" and Retina, and hopefully fan-less.

I think so as well, as new MBA's aren't big enough to justify their own event anymore either. An ?TV update at WWDC would make sense if they're going to open it up to developers.

The rest of the Mac lineup can wait for Skylake at this point, so the fall will work for them.

• Reply 15 of 50
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Don't think Apple wants any other product to steal AppleWatch thunder.   This is the first new product in 4 years.  Let it have the stage for itself.

Doubt we see a new AppleTV till at least WWDC

If anything stole the thunder from ?Watch next week it's the even they had 6 months ago announcing ?Watch.

If we look at the iPhone, Apple TV, iPad, and even new Mac products, didn't they have new products on most of these? If anything, the "thunder stealing" will be the other way around, as in the case of the Apple TV getting it's first full demo on the same day as the iPhone, yet I bet most don't remember that because the iPhone stole the show.

Considering the number of units Macs sell I don't think announcing new MBAs before getting onto a rehash of ?Watch, hopefully with some new features, will be expected or atypical for Apple.
  • Reply 16 of 50
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PatchyThePirate View Post

Quote:

...as long as we're engaging in zany theories ;), here's one of mine:...cherry trees.

The auditorium for Apple Campus 2 is surrounded by cherry trees, which typically have a peak bloom time at the end of March, beginning of April. I would imagine that Apple would place a lot of value on any event that would take place during this time, which appears likely to coincide with the Apple Watch release schedule. By the time Apple has their first event in the new auditorium in 2017, I'd bet that the Apple Watch will have gained plenty of momentum, setting the stage for it to become the keystone for your digital life.

This would also mesh with Apple's announcement: Spring Forward (into the digital future with Apple Watch).

The end.

Let me guess this was from the asian trade journal DigiTimes ¡

• Reply 17 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Let me guess this was from the asian trade journal DigiTimes ¡

That's absurd.. I have much more evidence to back up my claims then they ever do. ;)

• Reply 18 of 50
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I have a feeling if new MBAs were going to be announced next week the rumors would have been out by now.
  • Reply 19 of 50
    Don't understand why they need to build this again for the media? The device already has the hype of previous apple device launches... just launch the damned thing and they will come.
  • Reply 20 of 50
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 229member
    Does anybody ever take a step back and think how absurd this post and associated endeavour is? Filming a covered temporary construction for a commercial event? This, or photographs of the posters outside WWDC.

(i'm as guilty as anybody as I click on the links and look etc, but rationally, come on, it's a bit embarrassing that we lust for this really isn't it%u203D) It's just as well this world has nothing to worry about like conflict, famine, disease, debt etc!