Google reportedly looking to bring Android Wear support to iOS

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2015
Google is allegedly developing an Android Wear app for iOS, a move that would expand support for the wearables platform beyond Android handsets and enable iPhone and iPad owners to use products like the Moto 360 and the LG G Watch.

Prominent French publication 01net carried word of Google's supposed plan on Tuesday, suggesting that iOS support options could be announced at Google's I/O developer conference in May. Google's ramp schedule might be pushed up if initial Apple Watch sales are high enough to pose a threat to the existing Android Wear ecosystem, the report said.

Google could not be reached for comment on the claims.

Support for Apple's mobile OS could potentially give the Internet search giant an advantage in an already crowded wearables space, since the Apple Watch compatibility is limited to iOS devices. Even if people prefer the features of Apple's product, some may choose to go with an Android smartwatch simply to have the option of switching between platforms.

In addition to being flexible, Android Wear hardware has also proved to be much cheaper than Apple's upcoming offering. Whereas an Android product typically costs between $199 and $300, the least expensive Apple Watch will start at $349. In a report to investors earlier this week, investment firm Piper Jaffray said it expects mid-tier Apple Watch models to sell for between $499 and $549, while gold Apple Watch Edition versions could go for as much as $7,500.

Porting Android Wear to iOS wouldn't be an unprecedented move for Google, which has frequently brought technologies to Apple's platform through app development. Support for Glass, Google Now, Chromecast and Google Maps, among others. Apple, conversely, has never developed an Android app; the only Apple Android title is Beats Music, something it picked up by acquiring Beats last year in a deal worth $3 billion.

As for Apple's wearable device ambitions, the company is expected to reveal final Apple Watch details at press event on March 9, including prices and an exact launch date. AppleInsider will be providing live coverage of Apple's announcements from Yerba Buena Center in San Francisco starting at 10 a.m. Pacific.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    "...enable iPhone and iPad owners to use products like the Moto 360 and the LG G Watch."

Okay, but why would anyone want to do that??
  • Reply 2 of 53
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    You mean Google is planning to release their Android wear app on the most lucrative and popular smartphone on the planet- owned by people who actually spend money? Shocking. Too bad that 90% of iPhone owners will buy an Apple Watch, if they buy a smart watch.
  • Reply 3 of 53
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    What's with the thin gray fonts? That screen looks like it would be difficult to read, especially in the sun. Notice on ?Watch Apple isn't uding a thin Helvetiva font. They created a font specifically for the watch, one that's easy to read.
  • Reply 4 of 53
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    slurpy wrote: »
    You mean Google is planning to release their Android wear app on the most lucrative and popular smartphone on the planet- owned by people who actually spend money? Shocking. Too bad that 90% of iPhone owners will buy an Apple Watch, if they buy a smart watch.
    I would say that number is probably north of 95%...
  • Reply 5 of 53
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    LOL @ the Moto 270. Not fully 360 degrees.
  • Reply 6 of 53
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    I noticed the Moto 360 images usually show a lot of white so I checked the specs. It's an LCD, not OLED. OLED is the better way to go with something you want the buyer to consider to consider as jewelry because of the deeper blacks, even over the best LCDs on the market. I'd wager that future smartwatches from other companies start using OLED (sans Pebble), along with a UI that uses a lot more black.

I also noticed the Moto 360 has an IP67 rating which means it will remain dust free and can be submerged in up to 1M of water for up to 30 minutes without issue. I hope we get this same rating or better next week for ?Watch.
  • Reply 7 of 53
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,301moderator
    Someone already managed to get the notifications to work:

[VIDEO]

They claim it works without the phone being jailbroken but it is a jailbroken iPhone they're using.

The Moto 360 isn't completely round but the Huawei one is:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/3/8140837/huawei-watch-design-interview-mwc-2015

[VIDEO]

You can see they've ramped up security at 1:03, each watch is attached to a springy cord. Reasons to get an Android Wear watch would include that they'd be cheaper and look better than the entry Apple Watch. People who want a formal watch wouldn't want to be wearing a sports watch and the stainless steel model could be twice the price of a few of the Android ones.

$249

[VIDEO]

$349

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 8 of 53
    revenantrevenant Posts: 621member

i wonder if compatibility comes with google's own 'we are watching you' software?

it is a smart move since apple is suspected to sell more apple watches on release week than all the androids did so far as a whole. even in Korea i have yet to see a samsung or lg smartwatch on a wrist. but judging by the amount of iPhone 6 and 6 plus i see everywhere- i expect to see a few apple watches.

• Reply 9 of 53
    wermaltwermalt Posts: 5member

OMG thats so crazy.

• Reply 10 of 53
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    This is a necessary step for Google. No upmarket fashion house will make Android Wears if it won't be able to sync with iPhone.
  • Reply 11 of 53
    Whatever they do, these kiddie watches won't fully integrate with iOS.
  • Reply 12 of 53
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    "...enable iPhone and iPad owners to use products like the Moto 360 and the LG G Watch."

Okay, but why would anyone want to do that??

Because there are people that use an iPhone, and an Android phone on a daily basis.
  • Reply 13 of 53
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by revenant View Post

i wonder if compatibility comes with google's own 'we are watching you' software?

it is a smart move since apple is suspected to sell more apple watches on release week than all the androids did so far as a whole. even in Korea i have yet to see a samsung or lg smartwatch on a wrist. but judging by the amount of iPhone 6 and 6 plus i see everywhere- i expect to see a few apple watches.

In Austin, the Android watches are surprisingly popular, but only among the tech crowd (which is a huge crowd here). I'm sure that the Apple Watch will crack the barrier beyond tech workers though.

• Reply 14 of 53
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Beside the Apple watch supporting Apple Pay I would like more smart home integration.  I would love a watch that open my door lock (home and car), useful when you carry groceries,  a watch that controls my philips HUE lights and a watch that control my Apple TV or my Apple TV set.   There is so much possibilities. The watch could be the ultimate remote control for anything in the home because its always on you.

I would also love it if Apple would have 2 types of watch format next time, a square and a round watch.  

Regarding Android wear integration with iOS, this is where I think Apple could do better.  I think Apple should support android too, like iTunes for Android, FaceTime for android, Apple Pay for Android....

• Reply 15 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Regarding Android wear integration with iOS, this is where I think Apple could do better.  I think Apple should support android too, like iTunes for Android, FaceTime for android, Apple Pay for Android....

Nope, nope, nope. No reason to make Android users happy at all.

Also, a round watch for this application is incredibly stupid. You don't have a round computer monitor.

• Reply 16 of 53
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

It’s already been tried and found to damage Apple rather than help it. It was called Mac OS licensing and the clones nearly finished off the company. If people want the Apple experience then let them buy into the entire ecosystem. 

• Reply 17 of 53
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,697member

No Thank You.

Google is actually trying to bring iOS support to Android ware.

• Reply 18 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Nope, nope, nope. No reason to make Android users happy at all.

Also, a round watch for this application is incredibly stupid. You don't have a round computer monitor.

Actually, the way the icons are dispose hints at a possible round screen interface. imo its already planned. And you are too techie about it, round is a well known watch format, and the watch is a fashion item.

• Reply 19 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Wow. Those round watch faces are SO UTTERLY BAD for everything except the analog clock.

Just look at simple thing like a photo gets cut off.  Text gets cut off.  must be so frustrating using that thing for anything except looking at the time.  The Android Wear OS is so ugly.  so so ugly.

That what happen when you put a round screen without adapting the interface.  doesn't mean its not doable to have functional round screen. Look at Apple icons, look at Apple activity monitor, those would work perfectly on a round screen.

• Reply 20 of 53
    Quote:

Actually, the way the icons are dispose hints at a possible round screen interface. imo its already planned. And you are too techie about it, round is a well known watch format, and the watch is a fashion item.

Nope.