Help buying iPod

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am ready to get an iPod (10gig) and I can get it for $369 with EDU discount, plus I got an additional $25 off coupon in my email. But, I am really scared with the 90 day warranty. I take very good care of everything I own, but I read a lot of people have problems with them, and it seems a litle fishy that Apple doesn't offer a good warranty with it.

My question is, can I buy just the warranty on CompUSA on-line store? I can't find it. I cannot go to a store either as the closest one right now is about 50 miles away and I can't get out there becasue I am sick right now and the person I am living with can't drive that far.

So, I am in a bind. I don't want to order the iPod itself since I can save quite a few dollars buying from Apple EDU, but I can't get out to get the warranty. I read somewhere here that someone walked into CompUSA and purchased a warranty. Will they generally do that? I should be able to get out again in a month or so. How does that work? Can I just tell them I bought it there and they will believe it? It would just be easier to buy the warranty online.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    ricrocketricrocket Posts: 142member
    This has been said before, but if you're using a credit card, check their policies. A lot of cards these days will automatically extend the warranty...

rr.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by ricRocket:

<strong>This has been said before, but if you're using a credit card, check their policies. A lot of cards these days will automatically extend the warranty...

rr.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes most credit card companies will automatically give you at least a year warrenty on any electronics you buy using that card. If yours doesn't, you should get one that does. I envy you being able to buy an iPod. I might be able to afford one some day. Have fun with it.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by Horned_Frog:

<strong>I am ready to get an iPod (10gig) and I can get it for $369 with EDU discount, plus I got an additional $25 off coupon in my email. But, I am really scared with the 90 day warranty. I take very good care of everything I own, but I read a lot of people have problems with them, and it seems a litle fishy that Apple doesn't offer a good warranty with it.

My question is, can I buy just the warranty on CompUSA on-line store? I can't find it. I cannot go to a store either as the closest one right now is about 50 miles away and I can't get out there becasue I am sick right now and the person I am living with can't drive that far.

So, I am in a bind. I don't want to order the iPod itself since I can save quite a few dollars buying from Apple EDU, but I can't get out to get the warranty. I read somewhere here that someone walked into CompUSA and purchased a warranty. Will they generally do that? I should be able to get out again in a month or so. How does that work? Can I just tell them I bought it there and they will believe it? It would just be easier to buy the warranty online.

Thanks for any help.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Dude, how do you get the 10 gig iPod for $369 EDU? I've seen it for $469.... are you sure your getting te right one?
  • Reply 4 of 11
    You're right...my bad. Maybe a little wishful thinking subliminaly. Still doesn't change that I want the 10 gig though.

The credit card is a Platinum, so I would assume it has the warranty coverage.

Still, would you say it would be easy to go to CUSA in a few weeks and just tell them I bought the iPod there and buy the waranty?
  • Reply 5 of 11
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Damn i thought i was missing something and was about to convince my brother to buy my iPod for 300 so i can get a new 10 gigger...

oh well...
  • Reply 6 of 11
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Horned_Frog:

<strong>

Still, would you say it would be easy to go to CUSA in a few weeks and just tell them I bought the iPod there and buy the waranty?</strong><hr></blockquote>

From what I've read in various places, you don't even need to say you bought it there to get their warantee.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    That warranty thing is the reason why I sold my iPod
  • Reply 8 of 11
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Most electronics, should they fail, will do so within 2 weeks of purchase. The only thing that could fail would be the hard drive, in which case you should take it up with toshiba.

Or if you drop it. As long as you don't drop it and it's not DOA, chances are it wil be fine.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Thanks guys. Like I said I am pretty careful with everything I own and take great care of them, so I am going to go ahead and order.

The one thing I am hoping is that the cord for the earbuds is long, and I wonder if it has a "hold" switch tp prevent accidental skipping of tracks, pausing, etc. during a workout.

I am upgrading from a portable MD player which is nice, but the iPod is just so easy, much easier to customize and add and subtract songs from than the MD.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by Leonis:

<strong>That warranty thing is the reason why I sold my iPod</strong><hr></blockquote>

Huh?? You sold your iPod because of a 90 day warrenty?
  • Reply 11 of 11
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    The earbud cord is long enough for me to keep the iPod in my pocket while listening to it. They're not super long, but it's about 3 feet from the plug to where the two cords split, and about another foot from where they split to the earbuds themselves. There is a hold switch on the top.

I found that one excellent use for it is as a car stereo controller. Just start a playlist out (while you're not moving of course!) and plug in any CD player car adapter into the headphone jack. There's no real need to power it because of the 10 hour battery. My favorite thing about it though is that if I have a certain song stuck in my head and I really want to hear it, I can just pick it up and listen to any song I want.