AppleInsider podcast goes deep inside Apple's 'Spring Forward' event

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2015
In a special AppleInsider podcast episode, we get reactions from Daniel Eran Dilger, who was at Monday's event that ushered in a brand new 12-inch MacBook with Retina display, refreshed MacBook Air and MacBook Pro models, and extensive details regarding Apple Watch specs and pricing.

Reporting live from the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco, AppleInsider's Dilger offers an on-the-scene review of Apple's big event, including hands-on looks at the new 12-inch MacBook and, of course, Apple Watch.

Along with hands-on analysis of Apple's latest and greatest hardware, he offers thoughts on today's event, as well as where he thinks the company is moving with its just announced products and software initiatives.

As always, the show is available on Apple's iTunes. You can listen to the podcast and subscribe via this link:

Alternatively, you can stream the episode via SoundCloud:

Full coverage of today's announcement-packed event can be found here.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    adrayvenadrayven Posts: 460member
    Very disappointed in the steel prices.. I expected ~$400-500 - I had a steel link style watch for years and had my heart set on that. but I'm not spending $1000 on it..

Even the $700 for Watch Milanese loop is over my $600 max budget.. and I really don't want to spend that kind of money for a watch with a plastic band..

Guess I'll pass for now. Maybe they'll come down in a few years.

I refuse to spend more on this than I did my iPhone though...
  • Reply 2 of 43

It's been funny to see how the blogosphere largely doesn't get it. Patel at the Verge is trying to act like having two buttons on the ?Watch is the most complicated thing in the history of computers (even the commenters are mocking him), people still don't get that ?Watch will become so much more in future generations, and you've got idiots whining how the new MacBook "has too much bezel", which is patently stupid.

• Reply 3 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrayven View Post

Very disappointed in the steel prices.. I expected ~$400-500 - I had a steel link style watch for years and had my heart set on that. but I'm not spending $1000 on it..

Even the $700 for Watch Milanese loop is over my $600 max budget.. and I really don't want to spend that kind of money for a watch with a plastic band..

Guess I'll pass for now. Maybe they'll come down in a few years.

I refuse to spend more on this than I did my iPhone though...

So pay $349 or $400 for the Sport, and buy a leather band or something.

• Reply 4 of 43
    Thanks for this podcast, Stephen and Daniel Eran.

I look forward to a review of the Apple Watch in due course. I trust Apple will give you an Apple Watch Edition to review.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sog35 wrote: »
    I'm so disappointed the 911 Turbo is $150k. Hope they lower the price next year.

You cant have Bel Air taste on a compton budget.

I mean how the hell do expect the steel watch with steel band to be a mere $100 more than the sport version? High quality steel watches all sell for $1k+ at the bare minimum.

I drove a few supercars recently, Ferrari, Lambos, Aston Martin, and a 911, and the Porsche was hands down the most fun to drive. I see why [@]Relic[/@] reveres them.
  • Reply 6 of 43
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Great prices, looking forward to grabbing one plus a spare band for some optional looks.

Given there's no couple of thousand bring spent on a service contract this will cost me far less than my iPhone. Which makes sense as it is an accessory.
  • Reply 7 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Great prices, looking forward to grabbing one plus a spare band for some optional looks.

Given there's no couple of thousand bring spent on a service contract this will cost me far less than my iPhone. Which makes sense as it is an accessory.

That's a good point, and I wonder how many will think of that?

• Reply 8 of 43
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    jfc1138 wrote: »

That's a good point, and I wonder how many will think of that?

I think AT&T and Verizon may start to bundle Apple Watches with iPhones, especially around the holidays.

We could see a sort of BOGO promotion where customers can get both an iPhone and an Apple Watch for $299 up front with the rest of the cost spread over a 2 year contract.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    It's been funny to see how the blogosphere largely doesn't get it. Patel at the Verge is trying to act like having two buttons on the ?Watch is the most complicated thing in the history of computers (even the commenters are mocking him), people still don't get that ?Watch will become so much more in future generations, and you've got idiots whining how the new MacBook "has too much bezel", which is patently stupid.

Nilay Patel is a jerk and known Apple hater. Under his "leadership" I've noticed many of the top Verge staff have been fleeing for other workplaces.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Yeah I don't get it. Almost like he's purposely being obtuse. The digital crown functions much like the home button on the iPad. Not complicated. Yeah there might be a learning curve at first but if someone had never used an iPad before would they know double clicking brings up the app multitasking pane, long pressing the home button brings up Siri and on the new iPhones lightly double tapping the home button drops down the screen? No. No one would know this unless there were shown but once they tried it a couple times they'd get it no problem.
  • Reply 11 of 43
    Nilay Patel is a jerk and known Apple hater. Under his "leadership" I've noticed many of the top Verge staff have been fleeing for other workplaces.

The Verge has turned into Buzzfeed. Clickbait galore and more pop culture and politics than tech.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Not as bad as Brad Molen at Engadget, surely. I stopped going there after the iPad Air 2 event liveblog, where they were basically sarcastic the entire time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Yeah I don't get it. Almost like he's purposely being obtuse. The digital crown functions much like the home button on the iPad. Not complicated. Yeah there might be a learning curve at first but if someone had never used an iPad before would they know double clicking brings up the app multitasking pane, long pressing the home button brings up Siri and on the new iPhones lightly double tapping the home button drops down the screen? No. No one would know this unless there were shown but once they tried it a couple times they'd get it no problem.

That's just it. It's not like they're identical buttons either, one is a big crown and one is a small button. I suspect most people will think of the button as "?Pay Button" and that's about it.

• Reply 13 of 43
    Quote:

The Verge has turned into Buzzfeed. Clickbait galore and more pop culture and politics than tech.

Polygon, their gaming arm, is quickly becoming as bad. It started when they took nearly $1,000,000 from Microsoft (And then deleted any comments questioning their journalistic integrity), but it's gotten so much worse over the past few months. Half the articles are about how bad video gamers are, and how bad men are, etc.

It's basically a video game site that hates most elements of video games, and hates most of their core readership.

• Reply 14 of 43
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Polygon, their gaming arm, is quickly becoming as bad. It started when they took nearly $1,000,000 from Microsoft (And then deleted any comments questioning their journalistic integrity), but it's gotten so much worse over the past few months. Half the articles are about how bad video gamers are, and how bad men are, etc.

It's basically a video game site that hates most elements of video games, and hates most of their core readership.

I just noticed that GigaOm.com has shut down because they ran out of money. Stupid.
  • Reply 15 of 43

So Polygon is owned by Vox too? I guess we really should blame Vox. Though Nilay Patel vehemently defends clickbait and The Verge will censure anyone who brings it up in the comments section.
  • Reply 16 of 43
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I just noticed that GigaOm.com has shut down because they ran out of money. Stupid.

Yeah, well their reporting was going downhill for awhile.

• Reply 17 of 43
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

That's because he's waiting for the 56mm Samsung Galaxy Gear Note smartwatch that requires a stylus to use.

• Reply 18 of 43
    esoomesoom Posts: 155member

The Verge is basically for sale to whoever spends the most for advertising $.  

The ads are so bad, it's difficult to even browse the site with a flagship mobile device on a fast connection.

• Reply 19 of 43
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    sog35 wrote: »
    I'm so disappointed the 911 Turbo is $150k. Hope they lower the price next year.

You cant have Bel Air taste on a compton budget.

I mean how the hell do expect the steel watch with steel band to be a mere $100 more than the sport version? High quality steel watches all sell for $1k+ at the bare minimum.
    I usually agree with you but this is what you are missing: Porsche don't sell their cars to the mass while Apple do. So, in order to make volume, Apple need to price the damn watch with reasonable price vs competitors. SS version ends up $600 out of the door is a joke. That's more than 2x vs any smartwatch out there. Apple didn't do that with iPhone or iPad. That's why they win in these area. But this, even most Apple fans think the price is ridiculous. My prediction: after sale plunges, Apple will slash the price by $50-$100. I believe the watch will fail to sell...just like the first iPad mini. Good luck, Apple. I'm out.
  • Reply 20 of 43
    davygeedavygee Posts: 65member

Well overall, I was disappointed with the "lack" of information about the Apple Watch.  I wanted to know what's exactly inside, what memory it has, what storage etc.  For all we know, the Apple Sport may only have 4Gb storage and the Apple Watch Edition could have 32Gb?  Here's hoping this gets released over the next few weeks.

Anyway, the pricing (Edition version aside) is just about right to be honest.  They are pricing the models and bands appropriately to create a buzz and feel about the quality.  My prediction was only $50 out TBH, as I thought it would start at $499.

When it was first announced in September, I initially thought....I want one of the Apple Watch with Link Bracelet...the more I read about the Bracelet, it becam apparent that it would cost the most for the normal Apple Watch...although never thought it would be $449 for the bracelet alone.

Over the last week or so, I thought the best looking watch overall was the Apple Watch with Milanese Loop...which is not bad starting at $649.  The thing is, I have roughly $500 set aside for one and realistically can't and don't want to spend more.  I think it will become more apparent when I get to try them on.  If I can settle for a 38mm version, then I may just go for the Apple Watch with Black Sport Band for $549 and then get the Milanese Loop later in the year, but if I need to get the 42mm version, then I will probably have to settle for the Sport Version, any may also pick up the Milanese Loop as well at the same time.

It would maybe make it an easier decision if we found out that say the Apple Watch version has double the Storage of the Sport version....that would make my decision a hell of a lot easier.