Who's afraid of the Apple Watch?

Comments

• Reply 81 of 341
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    volcan wrote: »
    Dude, that was a joke. I am an expert in math. My mother was a math professor at my university so I had to be very proficient at it. You are going to have to do better than that for an explanation. I always renew my iPhone every two years for the exact reasons explained.

We've all done math for over 10 years which makes us all experts. ;)
  • Reply 82 of 341
    dasanman69 wrote: »

I'm with Verizon and I'm still paying the subsidized price because I still have unlimited data. I've checked every single plan, and their new plans still end up being more for less. If that makes me a moron then I'll proudly wear that badge. :lol:

Great. That's obviously what 'unlimited' is worth to you. Cool. That's not a subsidy, though. In fact, the opposite.

As to what badge you choose to wear, it's a free country. Wear the 'moron' one with pride, if that's what suits you. :)
  • Reply 83 of 341
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member

Cool. Go buy one then.

• Reply 84 of 341
    Dude, that was a joke. I am an expert in math. My mother was a math professor at my university so I had to be very proficient at it. You are going to have to do better than that for an explanation. I always renew my iPhone every two years for the exact reasons explained.

Whew, glad to hear that. (Not).

You do realize that, over the course of the two-year contract, you end up paying the full -- i.e., unsubsidized -- price for your iPhone? Since you're Mr. Math Whiz, you surely must.... :lol:
  • Reply 85 of 341
    Great. That's obviously what 'unlimited' is worth to you. Cool. That's not a subsidy, though. In fact, the opposite.

As to what badge you choose to wear, it's a free country. Wear the 'moron' one with pride, if that's what suits you. :)

The carriers are more transparent about it and have separated the cost of the phone from service plans. Most people don't buy their phones outright so they go with a payment plan, and upgrade every 2 years, so they're perpetually on the payment plan. They're getting less at a higher cost.
  • Reply 86 of 341
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Whew, glad to hear that. (Not).

You do realize that, over the course of the two-year contract, you end up paying the full -- i.e., unsubsidized -- price for your iPhone? Since you're Mr. Math Whiz, you surely must.... image

Okay genius, spell it out for me.

If I pay $200 down and $100 a month verses $650 down and $100 per month how is that better?

• Reply 87 of 341
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Are you suggesting that buying a subsidized phone on AT&T or Verizon is stupid? I want a first class network and as far as I know they do not offer any discounts for buying the phone outright? What am I missing?

It is cheaper to buy the phone through AT&T Next over the life of the 2 year contract, if you have 10gb plan or higher, than it is with a subsidized phone. With lesser data it is about a wash. I suspect Verizon has similar price points and plans.
  • Reply 88 of 341
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

The carriers are more transparent about it and have separated the cost of the phone from service plans. Most people don't buy their phones outright so they go with a payment plan, and upgrade every 2 years, so they're perpetually on the payment plan. They're getting less at a higher cost.

You do know that you can replicate essentially the same contract by paying full price to ATT (or Apple) for an iPhone, then paying $200 to your credit card company in the first credit card bill, with the remainder split as equal payments over the subsequent 23 months. Right?

• Reply 89 of 341

If I pay $200 down and $100 a month verses $650 down and $100 per month how is that better?

That is not what you are doing. With a subsidized phone your per device monthly charge on AT&T is $40 last I looked. Without a subsidized phone it is $25 and $15 if your data plan is 10gb or more. Plus the data charge which is the same no matter what plan. So your service charge with with the AT&T Next phone and no subsidy is $300 a year less on. 10gb plan and $180 a year less with less than 10gb plan. With the subsidized phone you pay the first $200 anyway (on base model). Do the math.
  • Reply 90 of 341
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Volcan View Post

At this point, I am thinking that math is not your problem, but rather, reading comprehension is.

You may wish to look at the link I posted again, or better yet, search the internet for what your monthly charges will/should be if you buy the phone outright or if your phone is out of contract.

Good information can be your friend. It can even save you money.

• Reply 91 of 341
    iaeen wrote: »
    Buying a subsidized iPhone isn't stupid if that is really the cheapest way to get what you want (it is for many), but a smart person will realize that the total cost of ownership is many times more than the subsidized price.

The subsidized phone is not cheaper and can be more expensive depending on data plan -- at least on AT&T
  • Reply 92 of 341
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

That is not what you are doing. With a subsidized phone your per device monthly charge on AT&T is $40 last I looked. Without a subsidized phone it is $25 and $15 if your data plan is 10gb or more. Plus the data charge which is the same no matter what plan. So your service charge with with the AT&T Next phone and no subsidy is $300 a year less on. 10gb plan and $180 a year less with less than 10gb plan. With the subsidized phone you pay the first $200 anyway (on base model). Do the math.

So you can get a reduced monthly cost if you own your phone outright? I was not aware of that. Is that something new? What about Verizon? I have a 5GB / month plan.

• Reply 93 of 341
    You do know that you can replicate essentially the same contract by paying full price to ATT (or Apple) for an iPhone, then paying $200 to your credit card company in the first credit card bill, with the remainder split as equal payments over the subsequent 23 months. Right?

And where does the interest factor in?
  • Reply 94 of 341

Does anyone else think there's not really much about the Apple Watch in this article, it's mainly about the phones?

• Reply 95 of 341
    So you can get a reduced monthly cost if you own your phone outright? I was not aware of that. Is that something new? What about Verizon? I have a 5GB / month plan.

AT&T yes (last I check which was last Fall). I believe Verizon has similar plans and policies but I have not paid much attention since I personally don't use verizon
  • Reply 96 of 341
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

AT&T yes (last I check which was last Fall). I believe Verizon has similar plans and policies but I have not paid much attention since I personally don't use verizon

I have no idea either since I just keep renewing our AT&T contract and buying new phones every two years. Perhaps I should look into it. We have family sharing so maybe I need to examine all of the current options available. I know we got roll over automatically.

• Reply 97 of 341
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    The Apple watch will disrupt by changing the expectation of what a wrist mounted accessory should be.

The Watch will deliver four key use cases more suitable to a wearable than a smartphones:

1. Notification and dispatch. This is what everyone has been talking about so I won't detail this use case.

2. Simple [lightweight] communications. For many, the concept of a smartphone as a phone (a real-time voice communicator) is becoming an anachronism. Many people use real-time voice communications only for short exchanges, to arrange a meetup or a quick check-in. These types of communications can easily be handled by the Watch, with longer conversations left to the smartphone. Apple's clever tactic communications (reach out and touch someone or send your heartbeat), the quick drawing app, and voice texts, all are lightweight forms of communication best suited for a wearable.

3. Simple actions. With the introduction of HomeKit, and with ApplePay and integration with the Internet of Things, watches will soon be expected to perform the functions of house keys, car keys, workplace access Fobs and swipe cards, credit cards, light switches, television and stereo remotes, heat and air conditioning controllers, security system controllers, garage door openers, printed airline tickets and other passes. Just as the smartphone replaced many stand-alone products, so too will the smart watch.

4. Tracking. Not just fitness and health tracking, soon watches will be expected to be able to input simple data into applications. From SalesForce to Facebook to employee rating to project tracking, status updates that are easily input will become a fourth, stealth use case.

Much has been written about Apple Watch as a challenger to luxury watches, many of which are merely a statement of wealth and fashion. It's not that the Apple Watch will change the way people perceive fashion. No, it's that the Apple Watch, and to a lesser extent, all smart watches, will change the perception of what a watch should do. And once that perception has changed, people will demand budget editions and luxury editions of that new paradigm. It's then [soon] that all traditional watchmakers must shift, partner, or find a new way to make a living.
  • Reply 98 of 341
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    By all means buy what you want and enjoy it, but the watch is fake ugly and extremely bad for the environment. If you are happy that millions of people will buy a new high tech watch every two years when an iPhone would have sufficed when many people bought one watch for life not long ago, go scream on the rooftops that you love pollution, that you love more mining, that you love waste etc. It's sad how much stuff people need to make them feel happy. God help us.

WOW! One watch for life? HaHa i most be one polluting SOB cause i've own more than 40 watches. And yeah you're right i am so tire of all these rich bastard trowing all their gold watches on the streets all the time. And all these metals that can not be recycle. We're going to hell.
  • Reply 99 of 341
    I'm an Apple supporter, I believe the Apple Watch will succeed, but I will not buy this one. I can't stomach having no GPS, having to still go for a run with my iPhone strapped to my arm. I also believe the price is FAR too high. I want a watch made of steel and sapphire, not aluminum and glass, which makes mine more than the cost of my iPhone- not worth it for me right now. Second gen, here I come.
  • Reply 100 of 341
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member

The watch will probably do "okay", but not be a huge new category of product that a lot of people will want. Unless Apple has a big card or many cards up its sleeve, the iPhone has probably reached its apex in sales. Tablet sales are already lame. Apple stock will probably flatline or decline in the coming years. Come a decent stock market correction, it may go down a good 30% and not recover. I'd almost literally eat my hat if Apple stock goes up 10% more in the coming 2 years. It the watch craps out, then people will question the post-Steve era and stocks could continue to decline. As Steve said, you have to keep your eye out for the next best thing. I'd consider Apple stock to be pretty risky or just not a good place to roll the dice. Seems the dividend is pretty good, so if you bought cheap long ago...good returns there.