Apple drops need for Watch app submissions to have screenshots from real hardware

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited March 2015
Apple has tweaked the requirements for Apple Watch app submissions, eliminating a problematic phrase which asked for a screenshot taken with a real Watch, not iOS Simulator, prior to the device's release.

The change, visible in the official iTunes Connect Developer Guide, is believed to be a response to the concerns of developers. Prior to a March 13 update, the Apple Watch Properties section stated that "screenshots must be created on Apple Watch, not in iOS Simulator," as noted by developer Sahil Kumar on Twitter.

Only a few developers have been granted hands-on time with the Watch prior to its April 24 launch, meaning that Apple's earlier screenshot policy would have blocked a majority of apps from even being submitted until that date.

Apple is still not accepting any App Store submissions with WatchKit extensions. Developers will, however, be able to use screenshots from Xcode's iOS Simulator once the gates are open.

Apple will likely have to begin accepting Watch apps within the next couple of weeks, since it can take up to two weeks for a submission to be approved. The Watch will need third-party app support to ensure its success, particularly given competing smartwatches such as the Pebble, and Android Wear devices, which may even be gaining iOS support.

A variety of companies have been invited to Apple's Cupertino headquarters to accelerate app development. Some parties have included BMW, Facebook, and United Airlines.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member
    As Apple increases in size, the little important details start slipping through the cracks.

If not for developers, the iPhone would have been a niche.

If they try to restrict Apple watch development to top-tier companies they will drop the ball.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    In the long run, this is a good policy. The only problem is now, during pre release. I would expect the rules to be back...
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

Originally Posted by xixo View Post

As Apple increases in size, the little important details start slipping through the cracks.

If not for developers, the iPhone would have been a niche.

If they try to restrict Apple watch development to top-tier companies they will drop the ball.

Why do you think Apple will be biased against the little guy?

iOS has been the most successful independent software platform in history.  More individual developers have become rich from iOS than anything else.  

I've seen no evidence Apple will be biased against my watch app, and I'm far from the developers being invited to Cupertino for early testing.  

• Reply 4 of 6
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member

All Watch apps need iPhone apps. If Apple is inviting people to HQ to work on Watch apps, it's developers of popular iPhone apps -- regardless of company size. 

• Reply 5 of 6
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    This sounds like the intent was to prevent the kind of fraud that happens when something works in the simulator but not on the real device. You see this a lot with Android software, where the screenshot is really from the iOS version.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

All Watch apps need iPhone apps. If Apple is inviting people to HQ to work on Watch apps, it's developers of popular iPhone apps -- regardless of company size. 

Right now it is. But, by the end of the year you could have native apps with no relation to the Iphone apps. Though, I'm not sure what they could be. Probably communication, homekit or healthkit related I suppose.