Apple issues new OS X 10.10.3 beta, fixing bug that affected latest MacBooks

Posted:
in macOS edited April 2015
Only a few days after the previous build was issued to developers, Apple has provided a new beta of OS X 10.10.3, addressing a crashing bug that affected the newly released 13-inch MacBook Pro.

The only listed change to the new software, identified as build 14D105g, is the removal of a warning about installing on the new MacBook Pros with Force Touch.

The last beta, which became available last Thursday, introduced Force Touch support for third-party developers. And in a somewhat serious bug, Apple said that build should not be installed on the new MacBook Pro models -- the very computers developers would need to test Force Touch support.

Monday's latest build removes that warning, suggesting that the fourth beta of OS X 10.10.3 is OK to install on the new 13-inch MacBook Pro, as well as the newly updated MacBook Air models which do not have Force Touch trackpads.

Aside from the removal of that warning, the release notes for OS X 10.10.3 beta 4 are identical to the build released to developers last week. The capabilities of Force Touch APIs, according to Apple, include:
  • Force click. Apps can have any button, control, or region on the screen respond to a press of stronger pressure. This Force click can provide a shortcut to additional functionality within the app.

• Accelerators. Pressure sensitivity in the trackpad enables apps to give users greater control. For instance the fast-forward button in media playback can speed up as pressure increases.

• Pressure sensitivity. Drawing and other creative apps can take advantage of the pressure-sensing capabilities of the trackpad to make lines thicker or give the brush a changing style.

• Drag and Drop. Apps can add the springLoaded property to their controls so they can react to a Force click gesture while in the middle of performing a drag, for instance to immediately open a new target for the drop.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Does it fix the bug that disables the keyboard about 15 minutes after a reboot?
  • Reply 2 of 18
    yuck9yuck9 Posts: 112member
    Funny that they fix this but still leave WiFi problems unfixed ? Thanks. Went back to 10.9.5
  • Reply 3 of 18
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Yuck9 View Post

Funny that they fix this but still leave WiFi problems unfixed ? Thanks. Went back to 10.9.5

I have had zero wifi problems with Yosemite, and I've probably used my Macbook in at least 100 hotspots since I updated. Don't imply it's a universal, inherent OS problem, when the most likely cause is your specific configuration. 

• Reply 4 of 18
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I have had zero wifi problems with Yosemite, and I've probably used my Macbook in at least 100 hotspots since I updated. Don't imply it's a universal, inherent OS problem, when the most likely cause is your specific configuration. 

Often times it's someone who's updated every time since Snow Leopard without a format and fresh install, IMO.

• Reply 5 of 18
    yuck9yuck9 Posts: 112member
    I'm not alone. Read the Apple chat on the Apple site. I've been on the phone with them more times then I care to admit. It's not my config when it won't work with a major amount of Macs. And after doing countless install's it still has problems.

So yes, It it universal across a bunch of them. Then there is the major mem leaks, etc.

I'm glad it works for you. Even with a new Time Capsule replacement it still has random disconnects. The local Apple store has seen it. Like I said, Go read the the 1000's on the Apple site.
    Still has leaks and Wi-Fi problems.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    tapetape Posts: 47member

Have they fixed the bug where you go through the installation process the 10.10.3 beta but are still running 10.10.2 afterwards?

• Reply 7 of 18
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    Quote:

Yes, as others have alluded to, it's not just a matter of the OS, but there's many other factors that come into play with wireless technologies.

• There's now many generations of Wifi (802.11) that co-exist in an airspace. This creates a lot of interference that wireless devices need to negotiate around.

• There's many more devices that have wireless capability in the same airspace, again creating more need for negotiation and interference filtering.

• The quality of devices can play a big role. For example, if you have a non-Apple wireless router, is it updated with the latest firmware? Do you even have the ability to keep it updated?

• Do you disable wireless on devices that don't need it? For example, turning off Bluetooth from devices that aren't using it can help eliminate potential problems.

• Are you operating on a channel with the least activity? For example, choosing 5GHz and a less-used channel solved wireless problems in my household. You can't just expect this stuff to be perfect out of the box... it sometimes require fiddling with the settings to find the best balance for your specific environment.

It's not clear why 10.10 has exhibited these problems for you, but 10.9 is not. I'm not saying the problems don't exist, but what steps did you take before reverting back to the older version?

• Reply 8 of 18
    The previous beta had some real flakiness to it, it could only be compared to filo pastry. I'm on a mid-2013 13" MacBook Air and had problems with windows discolouring and finder rendering weirdly. The other day some of my Adobe CC apps were playing up, a first. Hopefully this release tweaks the wheels back to where they should be. Pity it takes another 1.47GB to get it there once more.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    sddavesddave Posts: 24member
    Quote:

I always wait for the *.3 version, so I have not yet "upgraded", still on 10.9.5.  Everything just works, including WiFi.

Do Windows updates have these kind of problems? Just asking.

• Reply 10 of 18

I like the new definition window from the 3-tap gesture. One can finally expand under a highlighted term's Dictionary or Thesaurus entries without having to switch to Dictionary.app. (I like to think Apple finally listened to one of my feedback!) Also, links in Safari can now be previewed with the same gesture and dates with time can be created into Calendar entries.

Good too see these Force Touch gestures on last gen Apple trackpads.

• Reply 11 of 18
    creek0512 wrote: »
    Omg this annoys me so much. Happens after my Mac awakes from deep sleep too.

As an aside, my Mac is frozen at Less Than a Minute Remaining while installing this update. Anyone else?
  • Reply 12 of 18
    I hope that also fix the File Cache memory drain. I have Imacs that really put on pause many applications cause run out memory. I send these to Apple 5 days ago. My mac with only safari open have 40% with doing anything. On many mac I have go to terminal and sudo purge, so people can work more heavy software. That was noted as soon we install the 2015 security patch on the Apple computers. If I do not install it, even that these update is important, the file cache start to drain the memory. I purchase a app called status bar, from the same guys that work the Memory Clean app, and a soon goes to 3% (the max to work with) it returns to operation. So sad Apple. Please check these for 10.10.3 public release.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Does anyone know if the 10.10.3 update will include gTLD support? Right now I can't configure my Exchange account because System Settings don't support the new "long" TLD's. Safari supports gTLD's since November 2014...
  • Reply 14 of 18
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member

How do I go back to the old method of look up, instead of disabling it completely? I'm having the problem where it disables the keyboard every few minutes. 

• Reply 15 of 18
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by UncommonAsian View Post

Omg this annoys me so much. Happens after my Mac awakes from deep sleep too.

As an aside, my Mac is frozen at Less Than a Minute Remaining while installing this update. Anyone else?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Creek0512 View Post

It's a bug with the new Look up, with three finger tap. I'm trying to find how to go back to the old one (the new one includes itunes and stuff), instead of just disabling it. 

• Reply 16 of 18
    Regarding WiFi issues - if you have a stable situation in which a Macbook running Mavericks works just fine - and then, making no changes to router, router settings, wireless phones, toasters, whatever, you update that Macbook to Yosemite and it suddenly drops the WiFi connection almost continuously - how can that be attributed to anything but Yosemite? Another, almost identical Macbook remains on Mavericks - same house, same network - not problems. Purchase a Mac Mini running Yosemite and it has the same WiFi issue. Please stop apologizing for Apple. They are just a company, and they make mistakes like any other company. And - to the person who asked why this latest release doesn't include the WiFi "fix" - you can't include a fix for a problem that you you have not publicly acknowledged. It may very well include a fix, but until they publicly admit that there is an issue, it is unlikely to be included in public release notes.
  • Reply 17 of 18

Very few problems are truly universal, but clearly many, many people have this issue.  It may in fact to be obscure router settings, but ultimately that really doesn't matter.  

• Reply 18 of 18
    hzchzc Posts: 63member
    After applying the 10.10.3 supplemental update, my trackpad (not force touch) regular clicking sometimes doesn't register, so now I have a new issue I didn't have before. So far, SMC & PRAM reset has been ineffective.