Apple to accept non-iPhone trade-ins with expanded Reuse and Recycling Program, report says

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2015
Apple is planning to add Android, BlackBerry and Windows Phone handsets to the list of acceptable trade-ins for its Reuse and Recycling Program, which exchanges used hardware for Apple Store gift cards.

Citing sources with knowledge of Apple's latest initiative, BuzzFeed reports Apple is preparing to expand its Reuse and Recycling Program to include non-iOS handsets, including hardware running iOS nemesis Android.

Under Apple's current program, first launched in 2011, iPhone users can nab an Apple Store gift card worth up to $175 for a fully functional 64GB iPhone 5s. The company will reportedly offer similar deals for smartphones running Android, BlackBerry and Windows Phone operating systems, but specific hardware grading criteria is unknown.

Sources did not specify an exact start date, but said the program extension should take effect in the coming weeks, the report said.

The trade-in program expansion will be another step in luring smartphone users away from Google's Android platform. Last September, for example, Apple launched a webpage dedicated to migrating content from an Android device to one running iOS.

In January, CEO Tim Cook said the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus debut drove the highest Android switch rate of any iPhone launch in the past three years. The new models also helped iPhone take a record 89 percent of global smartphone operating profits during the last fiscal quarter of 2014, pushing Android down to 11.3 percent.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    What a great idea,

Make sure they get them out of circulation, at least we know apple will dispose of them properly. They will not end up in some poor person in a 3rd world county, and making them think this is the best the world has to offer.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    revenantrevenant Posts: 621member

what is the gift card value of a one year old POS flagship device that cannot get the newest software update, tonnes of hype and bad reviews, security flaws, and its contents carbon copied on a google server?

• Reply 3 of 22
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member

I traded my 16GB 5S on Amazon for $350 while my 16GB 5 through Craisgslist for $200 in January this year. 64GB 5S shoul worth close $300. 

• Reply 4 of 22
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

I guess now we know what Apple has planned for all those massive ovens that were supposed to create sapphire. Load in Android crapphones and set to "Incinerate".

• Reply 5 of 22
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,301member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by revenant View Post

what is the gift card value of a one year old POS flagship device that cannot get the newest software update, tonnes of hype and bad reviews, security flaws, and its contents carbon copied on a google server?

It can't be much, Apple will destroy them in a environment friendly way the best that can be done with these things.   I got my iPhone 6 from T-mobile and then a short time later they offered a trade in deal.  So I got my old iPhone 4 32 gig AT&T version, yep 4+ years old I've been using it that long, and got $202 for it!!!  I expected around $50 or something for being that old.  I had iOS7 on it, it was laggy and at times, I wanted to throw it against a wall and watch it shatter, yet in the end I got $202 for it.  Apple supported it for 4 years.  It started out at iOS4, got iOS5, iOS6, and iOS7 plus all the other updates in between.   you still get these fandroids going, oh look, Apple is not supporting the iPhone 4  anymore.  I mean really????  That's a great run for a Smartphone with tech advancing as fast as it it.  You're lucky if you can get the Google recommended 18 months of support, and that's on the high end phones.  All the cheapies which is a majority of Android phones sold see ZERO updates.

I think this is a great idea for Apple to do.  Apple makes close to 90% of the profits for Smart phones sold.  That means Apple has spending money to do things like this and still not be losing money!!!!  Then you get them into the Apple services and make some more money after the sale.  Again something you can't do on  Android as Google makes all the money on services, except the China phone market where Google is pretty much a no show.  $50 for that crap Android phone to destroy it and get a person onto the iPhone would be worth it.  Now it's iPhone, Apple services, maybe even a Apple Watch and AppleTV, maybe go so far as get a MAC.  You never know.  Maybe Apple isn't as bad as they thought, and in fact much better experience then Android.  As for Windows and Blackberry, throw them a bone also, maybe it'll kill them off once and for all, Not dead, but out of the Phone/tablet market.

I got this Winbook TW700 7" Windows 8.1 tablet a few weeks just to try.  See if it was any better then the crap that is Windows 8/8.1 on the Desktop, and Nope, just as bad.  The Metro/not Metro interface is not bad on the Tablet.  Problem is it goes into the normal Windows Desktop at times for things, and trying to do anything on a 7" screen on the only desktop interface SUCKS!!!!   On the Desk top it's the same.  Goes into the Metro Interface when you want to be in the old Desktop.  The OS can't make up it's mind what it wants to be.  It's trying to be everything on everything and just fails!!!  I built a high end Windows 7 Desktop last year.  I like Windows 7.  I got the tablet because they're giving these things away.  Under $70 and induces Windows Office 365 year subscription.  That can be used on your Windows Desktop, or iPad, or where ever.  So ya, basically free.  They're giving these things away basically and my iPad 3 is still far better.  There's a number of issues with this Windows tablet.  It's not the tablet, it's Windows!!!  Personally I think 7" for a tablet is to small anyway and that includes the iPad Mini.   If Apple comes out with a larger iPad, I'd get it!!!

• Reply 6 of 22
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Apple would do well to offer generous amounts and get as many people to switch as possible. In the end it's a net positive, as most people who switch to the Apple ecosystem tend to stay in it for a long, long time. 

• Reply 7 of 22
    gijoeinlagijoeinla Posts: 215member
    I guess now we know what Apple has planned for all those massive ovens that were supposed to create sapphire. Load in Android crapphones and set to "Incinerate".

L O L !!!!!
  • Reply 8 of 22
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Apple would do well to offer generous amounts and get as many people to switch as possible. In the end it's a net positive, as most people who switch to the Apple ecosystem tend to stay in it for a long, long time. 

Possibly. Is the reason people buy an Android versus an iOS phone really all about cost? We already know most Android phone owners steal more software and refuse to pay for most things. Will things actually change if they become Apple customers? I wonder. These are bottom-feeders.

• Reply 9 of 22
    hippohippo Posts: 25member
    jbdragon wrote: »
    It can't be much, Apple will destroy them in a environment friendly way the best that can be done with these things.   I got my iPhone 6 from T-mobile and then a short time later they offered a trade in deal.  So I got my old iPhone 4 32 gig AT&T version, yep 4+ years old I've been using it that long, and got $202 for it!!!  I expected around $50 or something for being that old.  I had iOS7 on it, it was laggy and at times, I wanted to throw it against a wall and watch it shatter, yet in the end I got $202 for it.  Apple supported it for 4 years.  It started out at iOS4, got iOS5, iOS6, and iOS7 plus all the other updates in between.   you still get these fandroids going, oh look, Apple is not supporting the iPhone 4  anymore.  I mean really????  That's a great run for a Smartphone with tech advancing as fast as it it.  You're lucky if you can get the Google recommended 18 months of support, and that's on the high end phones.  All the cheapies which is a majority of Android phones sold see ZERO updates.

I think this is a great idea for Apple to do.  Apple makes close to 90% of the profits for Smart phones sold.  That means Apple has spending money to do things like this and still not be losing money!!!!  Then you get them into the Apple services and make some more money after the sale.  Again something you can't do on  Android as Google makes all the money on services, except the China phone market where Google is pretty much a no show.  $50 for that crap Android phone to destroy it and get a person onto the iPhone would be worth it.  Now it's iPhone, Apple services, maybe even a Apple Watch and AppleTV, maybe go so far as get a MAC.  You never know.  Maybe Apple isn't as bad as they thought, and in fact much better experience then Android.  As for Windows and Blackberry, throw them a bone also, maybe it'll kill them off once and for all, Not dead, but out of the Phone/tablet market.

I got this Winbook TW700 7" Windows 8.1 tablet a few weeks just to try.  See if it was any better then the crap that is Windows 8/8.1 on the Desktop, and Nope, just as bad.  The Metro/not Metro interface is not bad on the Tablet.  Problem is it goes into the normal Windows Desktop at times for things, and trying to do anything on a 7" screen on the only desktop interface SUCKS!!!!   On the Desk top it's the same.  Goes into the Metro Interface when you want to be in the old Desktop.  The OS can't make up it's mind what it wants to be.  It's trying to be everything on everything and just fails!!!  I built a high end Windows 7 Desktop last year.  I like Windows 7.  I got the tablet because they're giving these things away.  Under $70 and induces Windows Office 365 year subscription.  That can be used on your Windows Desktop, or iPad, or where ever.  So ya, basically free.  They're giving these things away basically and my iPad 3 is still far better.  There's a number of issues with this Windows tablet.  It's not the tablet, it's Windows!!!  Personally I think 7" for a tablet is to small anyway and that includes the iPad Mini.<span style="line-height:1.4em;">   If Apple comes out with a larger iPad, I'd get it!!!</span>

hopefully Windows 10 will clean up the Windows 8 confusing interfaces or just stay on Windows 7 like you're doing. in the meantime get an iPad Air 2, it's perfect
  • Reply 10 of 22
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It will give a whole new meaning to "Steaming pile of sh!t"...  

The carbon in an Android phone is worth more than the phone/OS itself.  If I were Apple, I'd see if I can fry 'em to hell and back and see if even a glint of a sapphire can be created from such worthless waste of resources.

• Reply 11 of 22

Possibly. Is the reason people buy an Android versus an iOS phone really all about cost? We already know most Android phone owners steal more software and refuse to pay for most things. Will things actually change if they become Apple customers? I wonder. These are bottom-feeders.

Carriers won't push the iPhone, they don't like it. Verizon and the rest want to sell data plans to users who won't actually use the data. Android is great at this, as we see from the usage stats. So the sales bonuses for employees are attached to Anderoid phones (occasionally WinPhones when they need to shift some stock) and the salespeople push them as hard as they can. So if someone walks in and isn't firmly set on an iPhone, they'll likely be influenced by SalesGuy.

Of course, when the person has a horrid experience with their phone they usually replace it with "the real thing" the next time, but...
  • Reply 12 of 22
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I wouldn't generalize. I know a ton of people with a Samsung phone cause:

1. Thats what the carrier pushed on them

2. Had some promotion

3. Thats what they see advertised

4. Thats what they think is "best". 

So it's not all about cost. 

• Reply 13 of 22
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    I have 32GB unlocked Black iPhone 5s stuck in DFU mode. Apple couldn't fix it but offered to replace it for $270. I don't want a replacement. Looking to sell it. Any ideas other than eBay?
  • Reply 14 of 22
    pigybankpigybank Posts: 178member
    nasserae wrote: »
    I have 32GB unlocked Black iPhone 5s stuck in DFU mode. Apple couldn't fix it but offered to replace it for $270. I don't want a replacement. Looking to sell it. Any ideas other than eBay?

You do realize you can sell the replacement for well over what Apple charges to replace it? You won't garner much of anything if it is bricked. Pay to replace it, sell the replacement.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    So $5 each?
  • Reply 16 of 22
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pigybank View Post

You do realize you can sell the replacement for well over what Apple charges to replace it? You won't garner much of anything if it is bricked. Pay to replace it, sell the replacement.

I thought about that and did research. Without a box and accessories similar iPhones are being sold for $330 max. So $270 plus tax minus eBay/paypal fee and I will be paying out of pocket. Even on Craigslist I won't get more than that. I'd rather sell it than taking a risk on a return that might not happen.

• Reply 17 of 22
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,834moderator
    Here's to placing the shredders directly on the retail floor, with a rotating KMart blue light on a pole above it that comes on to alert shoppers that proof an Android will blend is about to be graphically demonstrated for the 234th time today (assuming it's about 10am at the Apple Store).
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Traded in Galaxy S4 for $40 at Apple store.

You could have done so much better than that on eBay.

• Reply 19 of 22

If Apple really wanted to make Android disappear, they should just offer to take any Android device under 2 years of age and give people an iPhone 6 straight up. Sure they will lose some money, but it would be done to spite Android. They can make some of the money back anyways from the 30% of every app purchase and anything else the user would buy on iTunes.

• Reply 20 of 22
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    If Apple really wanted to make Android disappear, they should just offer to take any Android device under 2 years of age and give people an iPhone 6 straight up. Sure they will lose some money, but it would be done to spite Android. They can make some of the money back anyways from the 30% of every app purchase and anything else the user would buy on iTunes.

That's crazy. Apple isn't going to lose money to eliminate the competition because people will still switch and buy an iPhone.