Apple leases two large Cupertino office buildings across from Campus 2

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2015
Recently discovered public documents show Apple has leased two buildings at Main Street Cupertino, an upcoming mixed use development currently under construction across from Apple's Campus 2 headquarters.

Apple is leasing space in two office buildings currently under construction at Main Street Cupertino.Source: Main Street Cupertino

Apple's lease, dug up by the Silicon Valley Business Journal, was filed on Monday and covers 260,000 square feet of space spread across two large four-story office buildings at Main Street Cupertino. The project's website estimates total office space comes in at about 274,000 square feet, leaving little extra for other firms wanting to move in.

Assuming each employee requires 200 square feet of space, Apple's section of Main Street could support more than 1,300 workers, the report said. This would be in addition to Apple Campus 2, which is located just across Interstate 280 and boasts a 2.8-million-square-foot "spaceship" that can accommodate 12,000 employees, as well as ancillary structures for thousands more.

Along with offices, Main Street Cupertino will feature a hotel, apartments and ample room for retail shops.

Real estate professionals in the area have heard rumors that Apple will eventually retract into Campus 2 once construction on the massive development is complete -- CEO Tim Cook expects to move in by 2016 -- but long-term leases in surrounding areas suggest the company needs extra space beyond its forthcoming headquarters. The report specifically points to a recent sublease deal with LinkedIn that netted Apple about 424,000 square feet in Sunnyvale.

Interestingly, the report notes Devcon Construction as being Main Street's general contractor. Devcon, a big player in Silicon Valley construction, was also seen working on buildings at Apple's Sunnyvale campus, thought to be home of a secret automotive research facility.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22

Apple basically owns Cupertino at this point.

• Reply 2 of 22
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member
    I'm thinking this might be some sort of mitigation against unforeseen delays with the Campus 2 development.

Also, this larger complex avoids all the complexity of running smaller facilities like those on Bubb Road and Results Way.

Apple really doesn't want a bunch of tiny buildings sprayed out across Cupertino and Sunnyvale. They want larger complexes where they can control access and ensure security/privacy. This is one of the primary goals of Campus 2, and is likely the motivation for leasing this site.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    "CEO Tim Cook expects to move in by 2016 -- but long-term leases in surrounding areas suggest the company needs extra space beyond its forthcoming headquarters."

Sounds like apple is growing faster than they can build it. :D
  • Reply 4 of 22
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    mpantone wrote: »
    I'm thinking this might be some sort of mitigation against unforeseen delays with the Campus 2 development.

It could be, but I don't see any evidence of that.

cali wrote: »
    Sounds like apple is growing faster than they can build it. :D

I thought I read that Apple added 20k employees in 2014 alone, bringing them 100k employees. I also think it was mentioned that in 2006 they only had 20k employees in total.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Will this be the automotive division?
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

I thought I read that Apple added 20k employees in 2014 alone, bringing them 100k employees. I also think it was mentioned that in 2006 they only had 20k employees in total.

Yeah, but a good chunk of those are retail employees I suspect.

• Reply 7 of 22

Yeah, but a good chunk of those are retail employees I suspect.

Very likely, but I can still see them needing a lot more space in Cupertino before Campus 2 is completed. I'm actually pleased to hear they are growing their staff as I feel they've been woefully understaffed for many years.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    OK, someone here has got to take control of the advertising on AI.

I was just automatically sent to the App Store twice thanks to the embedded ads on the mobile site. If this continues to happen I will not be visiting here much longer.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Duh, nobody sees unforeseen delays.

• Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I was just automatically sent to the App Store twice thanks to the embedded ads on the mobile site. If this continues to happen I will not be visiting here much longer.

Online advertising has been a longtime security risk. Anyone with half a brain would use ad blocking utilities to eliminate those vulnerabilities.

I use AdBlock and Ghostery.

My stance is unassailable at this point.

• Reply 11 of 22
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    solipsismy wrote: »

12/31/2016 would be pretty ambitious still for full occupancy of the spaceship. They appear to have just finished the structure for one segment out of 12 or 16; The curtain wall would take about a month (optimistically) from that point, and then they have a cold shell. Getting to a warm shell is another month, and then you typically have about 4 months of interior fit-out followed by a week or two for furniture installation. You could finish one segment per month realistically with reasonable resource allocation, but that would put you right at the end of 2016. For the highly technical spaces, you would need to add at least another month or two to get to completion.

Partial occupancy is easy though, if you are willing to put up with the mess, and if the fire marshal is ok with the separation provisions.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    I use AdBlock and Ghostery.

While I have a browser with AdBlock and NoScript on my iPad, it isn't practical for most users.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Duh, nobody sees unforeseen delays.

1) That's one weird ass interpretation. How about looking at their stated roadmap. It would appear they are on still on the schedule they've set and we've yet to see or hear about any delays that would push their schedule back.

2) And, YES, if there are unforeseen you do see them once they appear, otherwise you wouldn't recognize them as delays.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    aaarrrgggh wrote: »
    12/31/2016 would be pretty ambitious still for full occupancy of the spaceship. They appear to have just finished the structure for one segment out of 12 or 16; The curtain wall would take about a month (optimistically) from that point, and then they have a cold shell. Getting to a warm shell is another month, and then you typically have about 4 months of interior fit-out followed by a week or two for furniture installation. You could finish one segment per month realistically with reasonable resource allocation, but that would put you right at the end of 2016. For the highly technical spaces, you would need to add at least another month or two to get to completion.

Partial occupancy is easy though, if you are willing to put up with the mess, and if the fire marshal is ok with the separation provisions.

Are you saying they can't possibly meet their currently stated deadline?
  • Reply 15 of 22
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Are you saying they can't possibly meet their currently stated deadline?

It is ambitious. With enough manpower, they can easily work on two segments at a time and shave 5-6 months, but you have all the parts to make it work. For buildings like a high-rise, you generally stagger critical component manufacturing delivery times because there isn't enough staging space on the jobsite. This just-in-time strategy makes for more efficient material handling, but if deliveries are spaced to once per month it can limit progress.

The project could have easily been impacted by the port slowdown if they are using Chinese steel as an example. Based on "normal" construction sequences, I can't imagine all the structure completed in less than 12 months, but a sufficiently motivated contractor can pull off things that I would find impossible. It all comes down to how construction was planned and what flexibility they have to run things in parallel.

The real challenges are when delays happen late in the game, or where redesign is required on a major component that is repeated frequently.

All that said, it is quite possible Apple intends to have a good portion of the space in "shell' condition when they move in, eliminating the need to do tenant fit-out now.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    aaarrrgggh wrote: »
    With enough manpower, they can easily work on two segments at a time and shave 5-6 months, but you have all the parts to make it work.

You lost me. Now you're saying they'll be ahead of schedule by a half a year? :???:
    The project could have easily been impacted by the port slowdown if they are using Chinese steel as an example. […] The real challenges are when delays happen late in the game, or where redesign is required on a major component that is repeated frequently.

No one has said that delays are impossible or that delays can't happen later on. What I'm asking is what proof is there that their slated timeframes aren't capable of being met at this time. Everything seems to be on track as far as I can tell.

• Reply 17 of 22
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    Quote:

Luke, use the App...

aka AI App

• Reply 18 of 22
    What's really interesting to me is that this property abuts the property they already own, that they bought in %u201906

(See map here: http://appleinsider.com/articles/10/11/25/apple_nabs_hps_former_98_acre_campus_in_cupertino. )
  • Reply 19 of 22

Apple is pretty much f'ed if a major natural disaster were to hit Cupertino.

• Reply 20 of 22
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    Quote:

Install Adblock, problem solved, everywhere!!!  I couldn't take it anymore it's been getting so bad.  Ya, on iOS, I know what you're saying.  I've been sent into the App store so many times from Apps and games and it's really driving me nuts.   Apple really needs to do something about this.  It's unacceptable!!!