Marketshare?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Anyone know what Apple's marketshare was this quarter? Any links to news articles that have sales for the top few PC makers? (I believe Apple moved up to #3 ahead of Gateway...)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Worldwide? Apple is possibly ahead of Gateway but behind Dell, Compaq, HP, IBM, Sony, NEC. In the US, Apple may be ahead of NEC...

[ 04-23-2002: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 11
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Nah..U.S...and I believe Gateway was in the number 3 slot and moved to 4...

<a href="http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20020419/tc_nm/tech_gateway_earns_dc_4"; target="_blank">Gateway Posts Loss, Sees Momentum</a>

According to this they are #4 in the US and they sold less units than Apple...which says to me that Apple is #3.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>Worldwide? Apple is ahead of Gateway but behind Dell, Compaq, HP, IBM, Sony, NEC. In the US, Apple may be ahead of NEC...</strong><hr></blockquote>

NEC makes PCs? I had no idea.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    You have confused things. Apple sold 813,000 units worldwide. Gateway sold 645,000 units in the US alone. Apple certainly doesn't outsell Gateway in the US. It's possible but not probable Apple has higher worldwide marketshare...It depends on whether you think Gateway shipped 168,000 PCs outside the US...seems easy enough for them...

NEC does not sell to the US, but they do sell everywhere else. They own Packard-Bell as well.

[ 04-23-2002: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 11
    pushermanpusherman Posts: 410member
    Although, you have to remember, Gateway is virtually non-existant outside of the US now. So I doubt they sold many more outside of the US. Who knows what their existing base is, though.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Gateway only sells to the US market now, so Apple's worldwide sales are bigger than Gateway's.

As I recall, nearly 50% of Apple's sales are outside the US, so by that metric Gateway outsold Apple 3:2 in the US market.

[ 04-23-2002: Message edited by: Amorph ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 11
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    That clears things up a bit...

Still don't know the marketshare though...although I am thinking it rose slightly due to the fact that Apples sales are flat from last year's and everyone else's (almost) are down.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Wow, I didn't know Gateway pulled out...what about Canada?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    eskimoeskimo Posts: 474member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>

NEC makes PCs? I had no idea.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ever heard of Packard Bell? aka Packard Hell? That was their low end line previously for the US market. They're a major force in Japan and eastern asia.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    My dad bought a packard bell in 94, best piece of cr*p i've ever used
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Mathematically Apple would have to have a lower market share than before since all pc manufactures together outdid apple. The only way Apple would have a the same market share as it 'used' too would be if it sould exactly as many macs as PCs (by all companies) were sold. Anything less would mean a lower market share. The PC to Mac ratio is progressing in a way that favors PCs.